Golden Time. A broken English?

SMickey

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:29 am
Watching news, I come to hear a term 'Golden Time' quite a lot here in Korea.

TV anchors or reports enjoy using the term especially while describing some disasters in which people desparately need swift help and assistance.

Let's say a person suddenly had a heart-attack, and unless prompt action is taken, he is very likely to die soon. Unfortunatly, however, the ambulence got stuck in traffic jam, and it arrived at the scene in an hour only to discover the patient is dead.

Here, Korean reporters might want to say,
"Due to traffic jam, the Golden Time for him is wasted away."

Another example.

A prisoner broke out of prison. With proper measures, he would've been caught and put back into his cell right away, but the authorities concerned did nothing about it for the first two hours since the guy's escaping from prison.

Then again, those Korean reporters would describe it, saying,
"The authorities concerned did nothing but piddling around. The precious Golden Time is gone, and therefore the guy's still on the run'

I couldn't help but wonder how Engish-native speakers would react if they came to hear that word here in Korea.

Do you find the usage of 'Golden Time' here definately weird?
Would that be an example of broken English?

If I called those broadcasting stations urging them not to use the term,
could that be an appropriate protest or they might laugh at me?

I'd appreciate any of your comment.
Thanks.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,067 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by SMickey
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 10:54 am
Well, they might laugh at you, but "golden time" is no common locution in English to my knowledge.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 11:04 am
In emergency/trauma medicine, the golden hour (also known as golden time) refers to a time period lasting for one hour following traumatic injury. During this time it is most likely that prompt medical treatment will prevent death. Some say the figure of one hour is misleading, that there is no evidence to suggest that survival rates drop off after 60 minutes. However the term can refer to the core principle of rapid intervention in trauma cases, rather than the narrow meaning of a critical one-hour time period.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 05:59 pm
@SMickey,
The phrase "(brief) window of opportunity," relates to a brief period of time in which something can be done. It's most often used to describe political situations, but there's no reason why it can't relate to saving an individual's life.
SMickey

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 10:54 am
@contrex,
Now I can see the exact definition of it, thanks to you.
0 Replies

SMickey

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 10:55 am
@izzythepush,
Probably this is what I think I was looking for - window of opportunity.
Thanks.
contrex

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:01 am
@SMickey,
SMickey wrote:

Probably this is what I think I was looking for - window of opportunity.
Thanks.

Why did you make Setanta's answer "Selected answer" when it is incorrect?
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:05 am
@contrex,
It's not incorrect, you self-appointed Master of the English Language--unless you are asserting that "golden time" is a common locution in the English language. Is that your claim? Do you think you can support that?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 11:45 am
@contrex,
I think you've got your answer.
0 Replies