Who (what) would you make as your Inanimate BFF?

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 07:03 am
Stuffed teddy bears are so 20th century!

Which of these allegedly inanimate objects would you take as your BFF (best friend forever)?

1. Rosebud from Citizen Kane (1941)
2. Linus van Pelt's blanket from A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965); etc....
3. The lasciviously contorted 'female' tables in Korova Milk Bar from A Clockwork Orange (1971)
4. Log lady's log from Twin Peaks (1990)
5. Plank from Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy (1999)
6. Wilson the Volleyball from Castaway (2000), etc....
7. Buster from Mythbusters (2003)
8. Bianca from Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
9. Weighted companion cube from Portal (2007)
10. Irving Rosenfeld's overlyproduced cemented combover hair (Doesn't include either Christian Bale or Irving Rosenfeld just the hair) from American Hustle (2013)
11. Yorick's skull from Hamlet (1996)
12. My Precious from LOTR (2001)
13. Lucille, B.B. King's guitar
14. Inanimate carbon rod from The Simpsons (1989)
15. Rowdy, the stuffed and preserved dog from Scrubs (2001)

Any other inanimate objects from pop culture that would make a great friend/conversation starter?

http://www.imdb.com/poll/FuO1sFoCs3A/?ref_=po_ho

luismtzzz

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 09:06 am
@tsarstepan,
What a difficult question!!!

I am between Weighted companion cube from Portal and Inanimate carbon rod from The Simpsons.

And i may go with the inanimate carbon rod since it is an actual space hero. It appeared on Time magazine and had a parade held exclusively for itself.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 09:18 am
i'm gonna take a page out of Navin R. Johnson's book

Well I'm gonna go then. And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this.
[picks up an ashtray]
And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.
[walking outside]
And I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[dog growls]
I don't need my dog.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 09:21 am
@tsarstepan,
From that list, I've got to go with the classic: Linus's security blanket.

I would add: Arya's coin (from Game of Thrones). Valar Morghulis.
margo

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 12:49 pm
@George,
I'm with George - Linus's security blanket. I've been looking for it for years.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 01:15 pm
I, too, agree with George re: Linus's blanket. But, I gotta tell you, Rosebud runs an awfully close second.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 01:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Act quickly:
http://i60.tinypic.com/rvizpz.gif
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 02:19 pm
My first choice was Rosebud.

But all these things are just too big to keep with you.

If I could find a miniature Rosebud, that'd be great. It would be flat enough I could slip her in my bag, or pocket.

BTW, I truly do feel inanimate objects do give off a vibe, that some can feel. I mean, everything can be traced back to some organic material.

I don't know if this was once a subject here, but there's a video/documentary about people who have literally fallen in love with an object the vast majority would consider lifeless.

This one woman fell in love with the Berlin Wall. She said she could feel how sad it was. That makes sense to me, as the Wall has always been a focus of contention. She found one of the guard towers, and got permission to spend the night alone up there. It was like a honeymoon. She said "I'm as nervous as any bride" When she went up there alone, she pulled the curtains closed. I could really sense there were many good vibes going on.

Before anyone starts laughing or rolling their eyes, think of all the people who come here with either the most serious or ridiculous relationship problems? Including people who can't even figure out how to say "hello" or make their wants/needs known?

Who's crazy? The ones that have unrealistic, superficial, brutal, selfish exectations, or the woman who is in love with and had a commitment ceremony with the Eiffel Tower....after all, they'll always have Paris. They don't fight, there's a physical, mental and spiritual attraction, and they don't bother anybody.
farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 03:16 pm
@chai2,
I would choose a Zippo lighter that followed me about for several years while I smoked. Shes been put in a drawer someplace and I keep entering upon her privacy every few years. I pick her up and she feels hard and taught as I stroke her polished skin. She will always be there when I might need her
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 03:25 pm
The Doctor's sonic screwdriver would be bloody handy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 03:32 pm
Failing that, Felix's amazing underpants.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MEaYB59TH7o/UhqA0R5HuaI/AAAAAAAAAro/bZhVXWA9vB0/s1600/FELIX_B.jpg
http://www.lewstringer.com/USERIMAGES/VIZ_182_Felix.jpg
http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/felix-570x188.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 03:54 pm
I'm going with Wilson, the soccer ball. I need a friend I can talk to. In fact, I have a Wilson soccer ball, with the face from the movie, right here by the computer.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 04:22 pm
A Wingwoman milk bar table from Clockwork Orange. I know she'd never steer me wrong.

I'd also like to wear an iconic red beanie from Steve Zissou's Life Aquatic.
0 Replies