Can you live a happy life without much money?

room109

Wed 20 Aug, 2014 11:33 pm
this is an awefully subversive topic..
cicerone imposter

Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:18 pm
@room109,
From hingehead.
Quote:
"Money can't buy you happiness? Well, check this out, I bought myself a Happy Meal." – Paul F Taylor
0 Replies

RobertBruce

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 09:29 pm
@nononono,
Yes, Ofcourse. This life is meant to bge happy always and it disnt have any relation with money as it can buy only assets not sleep, hunger and satisfaction.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Sun 28 Sep, 2014 11:44 pm
If the question is about not much money, then the trick to be happy with limited income is not about how much money you make but about how much money you spend.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 29 Sep, 2014 06:38 pm
The trick is to have enough money. I do believe that one can have too much money. Unlimited wealth tends to function like a disease--but then so does unlimited poverty.
cicerone imposter

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 02:19 am
@JLNobody,
Most people live a lose-lose too rich or too poor lifestyle. Is that about right?
JLNobody

Tue 30 Sep, 2014 10:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
More people are too poor rather than too rich, but it's my impression that most of us are happy or unhappy for reasons having little to do with wealth.
cicerone imposter

Wed 1 Oct, 2014 12:05 am
@JLNobody,
That's true; I've traveled to many third world countries where the majority are considered poor economically, but are happy. A good example of that is Cuba. The majority of Cubans earn only $20 a month, but the government subsidizes most of their accommodations, food and health care. It's my impression from visiting there and making many friends, most have acclimated themselves to their lifestyle. You can visit many places in Havana where the locals are dancing on the streets and in smaller venues - a small room or hall. Most bars and restaurants offer live music - by professionals. The rhythm is palatable in all the different cities we have visited. The people are happy.
0 Replies

saab

Wed 1 Oct, 2014 12:40 pm
Being poor for a short time in your life can be ok, but being poor for a lifetime is something else. UNICEF considers being poor in certain countries is when you have to live on 2 dollars a day. Being extrem poor you have to live on 1,20 dollar a day. That is how about 48% of Africans live.
If poor people are so happy why do they risk their lifes to get to USA or Europe?
South Asia has many poor and extrem poor people. Families sell their children. Children in these countries do not have basic rights as children for food, clean water, schools, health and a roof over their heads.
Children have to work - some as young as 4 years old and some have to work up to 14 hours a day. About 150 million children between 5 and 14 work.
cicerone imposter

Wed 1 Oct, 2014 02:32 pm
@saab,
I think you can add a few digits to that 150 million.
Also, most poor do not even consider risking their lives to get to the USA or Europe, because they see it as too difficult. Most mass migrations happens during terrorist activities and wars, but even then, the majority are not capable or even contemplating moving to the US or Europe. The handicaps are major in terms of having enough money to feed oneself and to get transportation.
JLNobody

Wed 1 Oct, 2014 10:35 pm
@saab,
No one has said that poor people are happy because they're poor. C.I., and I have suggested that SOME people SOMETIMES can be happy despsite poverty. And some rich people can be unhappy despite their wealth. More goes into the process than just economics. This does not deny the importance of level of wealth and poverty.
0 Replies

saab

Thu 2 Oct, 2014 02:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
150 000 000 children are working and if I add one digit I get
1 500 000 000 and the world population is about 7 000 000 000.
I think UNESCO got it right with 150 million.
cicerone imposter

Thu 2 Oct, 2014 10:35 am
@saab,
The world population (2013) was estimated at 7.1 billion.

However, to add to your previous comment about being poor for awhile is a good motivator for many who wish to improve their life. Even then there are pros and cons about how parents drive their kids to ignore living and to study, study, study with no real social life. There needs to be balance.
cicerone imposter

Thu 2 Oct, 2014 10:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
From freethechildren.com.
Quote:
There are 218 million child labourers around the world.

It seems your number was closer to the facts at 150 million.
0 Replies

saab

Thu 2 Oct, 2014 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
i agree that a social life is importatnt.
To do without luxeries so you later can improve your life or fullfill a dream is good.
Some live on the poverty line or close by because of the work they choose.
The majority of artists, actors and many muscisians.
Also small business people never know how things are going - the same for many farmers.
0 Replies