Can you live a happy life without much money?

JLNobody

Mon 28 Jul, 2014 11:21 am
@IRFRANK,
A happy Setanta? Wow that's almost oxymoronic.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 10:33 am
Maybe it is not money that makes the rich happy, but it is rather winning. The rich have won the game of life, money is the score keeper. This would explain why the general level of happiness tends to remain constant as societal wealth goes up and down.
cicerone imposter

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 11:05 am
@hawkeye10,
If money is the score keeper, their outlook on life is dismal.
hawkeye10

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 05:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

If money is the score keeper, their outlook on life is dismal.

Isn't bout time for the next detailed update on how your investments are doing?
Romeo Fabulini

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 06:03 pm
Kids are brainwashed by the education system into thinking they'll be "failures" if they don't get a good well-paid job, nice car, nice house, nice family blah.
I never had or wanted any of them things and I'm happy enough..Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 5 Aug, 2014 06:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Why? We're doing better than average; we're still in positive territory although the DOW is down about 1% for the year.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 09:49 pm
I don't know what money has to do with happiness. Some millionaires commit suicide. Some folks on welfare seem to lead happy lives.

One of the wisest things I ever heard is that happiness does not consist in getting what you want; happiness is appreciating and being grateful for what you've got.

nononono

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 10:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Some millionaires commit suicide.

Yeah, even people like Robin Williams. If a guy with that much energy and life inside can kill himself, what hope do the rest of us have?

Depressing day all around. Took the piss right outta my sails.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 10:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
So true. I find the majority of Cubans who are poor by most standards are a happy people. More than one-quarter of the Cuban people live in poverty, but you'll wouldn't arrive at the conclusion seeing the people on the streets or by meeting the people. My travel buddy, Alexander, and I know many people in Cuba.

The Cuban government is cutting back on social services, and that makes life on the Cuban island more difficult for more people. But walk the streets of any city like Havana, and you'll see more people with happy faces than you'll see in wealthier communities in the US.

When there are open music in the streets, which is often, many people participate in swaying and dancing with everybody else - even on hot, humid, days. It's one of the wonders of Havana where live music is found everywhere.

Happiness is a state of mind, and the Cubans have it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 10:20 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I don't know what money has to do with happiness.
Some millionaires commit suicide.
I don 't recommed that.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Some folks on welfare seem to lead happy lives.

One of the wisest things I ever heard is that happiness does not consist
in getting what you want; happiness is appreciating and
being grateful for what you've got.
To whom do u suggest that we be "grateful" Andy ?

David
nononono

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 10:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I don't know what money has to do with happiness. Some millionaires commit suicide. Some folks on welfare seem to lead happy lives.

One of the wisest things I ever heard is that happiness does not consist in getting what you want; happiness is appreciating and being grateful for what you've got.

Needed this today.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 11:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Whoever you credit with being responsible for your happiness. That's an individual matter, David, not a 'one size fits everyone' situation.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 11:06 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Whoever you credit with being responsible for your happiness. That's an individual matter, David, not a 'one size fits everyone' situation.
OmSigDAVID

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 11:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
To whom r U "grateful" for it ?
Lustig Andrei

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 11:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
There is something which I like to refer to as 'god.' This Force, this Power has nothing whatever to do with what one finds in the Bible or the Koran or any other ms. which posits an anthropomorphic deity. I have absolutely no idea what it is but I call it 'god' simply because that's such a short and simple word. It's there; I just don't know anything about it and believe that none of us is capable of ever understanding anything at all about this Force.
OmSigDAVID

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 11:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
A de-personalized, non-sentient, non-intelligent Force, like gravity ?
Lustig Andrei

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 11:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Not necessarily like gravity or anything else that we can strive to understand. I already told you, except for being sure that it's there, I know absolutely nothing about it. What's more, I firmly believe that our puny human brains are incapable of ever understanding it. So I can't answer any of your questions with any precision at all.
OmSigDAVID

Mon 11 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
To what do u attribute your "sure"ness ?
Lustig Andrei

Tue 12 Aug, 2014 01:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
What "sure"ness? There's hardly anything at all that I'm "sure" of except as it pertains to my own behavior. It could well be all wrong for everyone else. I'm not real "sure" about anything.
hawkeye10

Tue 12 Aug, 2014 01:57 am
http://www.velocitygoals.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/chris-rock-options.jpg
working 60 hours a week week after week year after year to obtain the bare minimum that your family needs to subsist is having no options. Your whole life is have too, there is no want too. then your body or your car gives out and even that comes crashing to the ground.

0 Replies