Can you live a happy life without much money?

Sun 20 Jul, 2014 10:14 pm
When I think about the things that really make me smile, none of them really have anything to do with money. Yet money causes worry, so relief of that worry is happiness in and of itself.

Happy to hear any thoughts.

kiuku

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 04:54 am
@nononono,
no money is happiness.

just kidding. obviously you can. but the problem is that other people get jealous of people who actually live without money. Well the problem is the problem. I think it depends on notions of civility. Whether a Stoic Philosopher can exist in a non-civilized environment.

The sound of the question is wrong. No you can't "without much money". It's either none or all.

Back in Greece though, where civilization once existed:

Stoic Philosophy contends that nature and morality are happiness. If you sacrifice your morality, your innocence, or your nature or both, you cannot achieve happiness.

No you can't lead a happy but poor life. People who are genuinely fooled by the world will become unhappy through its pursuit.

The happy bum though, yea. Well not today where bums are people who can't afford their drugs.

But Stoic Philosophy is reality, the reality of happiness is morality. The reality of happiness is not money, but many will agree that excessive money is the second best thing to Stoic Philosophy, which is not hardship either.

But no there's no in the middle where desire for the world will ever be happiness. ANYBODY can be a Stoic Philosopher, not anybody can be Alexander the Great. But there is no middle happiness. They are always extremely desperate for happiness.
kiuku

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 05:44 am
@kiuku,
The Stoic Truth

To be free of, cause in

worry
care
friendship
burdens or cares of others and sometimes needs but that is charity
work
future
free of care of thought
free of care of reputation earned
free from world speculation, how it works or anything like that
free from inner insight

The Stoic Way

to be by the side of nature in all things

That doesn't work if you want a family or if you want the things the world has to offer. Everyone seems to know that you can't be happy, without excessive money. None then, only if you can understand the logic though, which is that if you're not going to attain tragic wealth then you shouldn't be burdened by their worries: the Stoic Happiness.
Linkat

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 05:48 am
@nononono,
As long as you have your basic needs covered. I can't imagine how you can be happy without money, if that causes you to be unable to eat, for example.

I think much of the worry about money is around the fact will/do you have enough money to pay for your bills and/or basics -- food, shelter, clothing.

I suppose if you were in a situation where you had these basics without money, then in theory yes you can have a happy life without money -- having money can simply make it easier as you do you not need to worry about paying for such things.
Setanta

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 06:28 am
It's hilarious to see someone talking online about how one doesn't need money. To post online, you need a computer, that costs money. You need internet access, and that means paying a monthly bill. You will need to have electricity, and that means paying a monthly bill. So the person alleging that one doesn't need money for happiness, and doing so online is a hypocrite, either because they spend all that money, or they take advantage of someone else who does.

I guess if mom and dad are paying the bills, it's pretty easy to play the wise philosopher.
OmSigDAVID

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 06:38 am
@nononono,
Quote:
Can you live a happy life without much money?
No.
0 Replies

Linkat

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:10 am
@nononono,
reminds me of a song -

And a little bit of chicken fried
Cold beer on a Friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio on
I love to see the sun rise
See the love in my woman's eyes
Feel the touch of a precious child
And know a mother's love

It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes
There's no dollar sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
kiuku

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:39 am
@Linkat,
all the romance in the world isn't going to color it red. No money is status and privilege. So no. There are two opposites, obviously a philosophy lesson-the Stoic and the Alexander the Great-both of them are happy. Ok these things are just obvious. Stop being morons. Well that's what keeps them rich, when people think they can be happy with little and that rich people are unhappy.

Well, my curiousity is that it might be an actual rebirth system. Like, I'm pretty sure I'm a royal and I'm pretty sure I'm high morality, so maybe richness can come with good birth too. I'm not saying it's always that way, but apparently, look if I had a high birth that means I deserved it, because I'm obviously really moral, just personally, and no one else is, and I see a declining morality with poverty absolutely, like it doesn't appear to have to do with school at all: the evil middle class.

So huh?

The system seems confused right now: It might be catastrophic, it may be that rich people will always be rich and poor people will always be poor. They tried to get rid of kings and queens to a more egalitarian earnership system, but look where it's going...there is no more world. No I'm serious.

I bet there won't be any more rich people in a near future, it will all be suffering, since poor people took it over, Americans basically.
0 Replies

nononono

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:05 pm
@kiuku,
kiuku, I like your thoughts on this subject but feel like I don't fully understand what you're saying. Could you please elaborate?

Thank you for posting here.
0 Replies

nononono

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:09 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I think much of the worry about money is around the fact will/do you have enough money to pay for your bills and/or basics -- food, shelter, clothing.

I think it' the main worry for everyone (besides the greedy 1%.) Scary in this day and age that many folks probably won't be able to retire, and will have to keep working until they die. The baby boomer generation really messed up the economy for everyone born after them. It makes me angry.

By the way, I liked the song lyrics. Thank you.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:15 pm
@nononono,
There was just a study that money stops supplying happyiness somewhere between $65k-120K per year income, depending upon cost of living.

Can one be happy with poverty income? Sure, but the odds are not good.

Quote:
So what is the household income threshold at which more money would not make you happier? A 2010 Princeton University study found that, at the national level, making more than $75,000 per year did not significantly improve one’s day-to-day happiness. In a separate and more recent study, the numbers were broken down by state and reflected the cost of living in each.
In Louisiana, $71,475 is the magic number. And that figure is surprisingly higher than what was determined for our neighbors to the east and the west — $65,850 for Mississippi and $69,600 for Texas, respectively. In fact, Mississippi had the lowest number on the list. Hawaii topped the list at $122,175 due to the high cost of living there.

Read more: http://www.sulphurdailynews.com/article/20140720/News/140729982#ixzz38AE6dvJc
edgarblythe

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:21 pm
While money is not the source of my happiness, I could not live a good life without a sufficient amount. A matter of survival.
nononono

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:25 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
It's hilarious to see someone talking online about how one doesn't need money. To post online, you need a computer, that costs money. You need internet access, and that means paying a monthly bill. You will need to have electricity, and that means paying a monthly bill. So the person alleging that one doesn't need money for happiness, and doing so online is a hypocrite, either because they spend all that money, or they take advantage of someone else who does.

Did you even read the title of this thread?

It's not called "Can you live a happy life without ANY money?", it's called "Can you live a happy life without MUCH money?

There are plenty of poor people who have internet access. It's the year 2014, not 1994. You can be a hobo and still have a smartphone. You're missing the point of this thread entirely. I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on happiness in relation to limited financial means, not no financial means.
nononono

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
There was just a study that money stops supplying happyiness somewhere between $65k-120K

I read this same study.

What kind of restaurant do you run hawkeye? What type of food?
hawkeye10

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:29 pm
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

Quote:
There was just a study that money stops supplying happyiness somewhere between $65k-120K

I read this same study.

What kind of restaurant do you run hawkeye? What type of food?

A successful one.

Dont want to say more since some people around here have vowed to try to hurt my profession if they find out who I am. Some nonsense about how I abuse children and rape women, so I should not be successful, (I do neither of those things of course).
nononono

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
While money is not the source of my happiness, I could not live a good life without a sufficient amount. A matter of survival.

I'm certainly not destitute, but I get so worn out worrying about always having enough. Sometimes I daydream about all the better uses of my time...
0 Replies

nononono

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Dont want to say more since some people around here have vowed to try to hurt my profession if they find out who I am. Some nonsense about how I abuse children and rape women, so I should not be successful, (I do neither of those things of course).

That's awful! I was just curious what kind of food. I'm a bit of a foody.

It all comes back to the point of my mob mentality thread. No one should be threatening others here. And I know exactly how people here try to paint a skewed picture of other members who don't fall in line with the groupthink mentality. I know bullshit when I see it. I for one am glad I stumbled upon your writing hawkeye.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 01:34 am
@nononono,
How many "hoboes" could charge the battery of their smart phone? How many hoboes could afford the monthly fees? The point, which you are attempting to elude, is that for someone to post online requires a level of affluence in excess of the bare means of survival.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 06:03 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
How many "hoboes" could charge the battery of their smart phone?
I infer that thay all share the same fone, huh ?
0 Replies

anna-defensesoap

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 06:48 am
@nononono,
Life is very happy without enough money. Money is a type of tension. If anybody have access then there is tension and if anyone not enough then there is again a tension.
0 Replies