28
   

Can you live a happy life without much money?

 
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 10:26 am
@Miller,
Yes. Rich is better.





David
0 Replies
 
Miller
 
  0  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 10:31 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

That's BULLSHIT.


I agree that what you've written, in this thread is BS. I suspect, that you don't know what REAL poverty is, and this is sad if you're a US citizen. It basically sounds like nonsense coming from a white kid, who's grown up in an up-scale white suburb , probably to white, yuppie parents.

Do poor kids get to take SAT classes like the yuppie, upper-middle class kids do? Of course not, you need DOUGH to take those classes and you need to take time off your minimum wage job ( characteristic of poor kids and adults).

You're the type, who if you'd lived during the depression,would have been the first to jump from a hi-rise window as the stocks fell...and fell... and fell.
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 10:39 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Times, even recent, when I've been without, I have still been happy. Wish I had a way to convey and transfer this freedom to you.


Is it freedom, or is it pride in being a radical, pride in rebelling against the billions of dollars a year in propaganda for commercialism??? I think is was easier to live in poverty back when we were a Christian nation and when the churches often taught that poverty was fine. We have churches still, but I dont think they teach the virtues of poverty much anymore. Most of the big churches actively promote the acquisition of goods and services now. Even in mass I have not heard a pro poverty sermon in forever.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 10:50 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Times, even recent, when I've been without, I have still been happy. Wish I had a way to convey and transfer this freedom to you.


Is it freedom, or is it pride in being a radical, pride in rebelling against the billions of dollars a year in propaganda for commercialism??? I think is was easier to live in poverty back when we were a Christian nation and when the churches often taught that poverty was fine. We have churches still, but I dont think they teach the virtues of poverty much anymore. Most of the big churches actively promote the acquisition of goods and services now.


Even in mass I have not heard a pro poverty sermon in forever.
If any religion did THAT,
I 'd question its judgment.
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 10:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
If any religion did THAT,
I 'd question its judgment.


We have a Catholic church here in Olympia that really cant give a virtues of poverty sermon, because they are constantly agitating for more money from the pews, the real hard sell.
0 Replies
 
nononono
 
  0  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 11:37 am
@Miller,
Quote:
I suspect, that you don't know what REAL poverty is, and this is sad if you're a US citizen. It basically sounds like nonsense coming from a white kid, who's grown up in an up-scale white suburb , probably to white, yuppie parents.


Wow! have you missed the point (and facts) of the thread!

First, I'm not white, I'm black.

Second, I grew up poor. Not to yuppie parents. So yea, I know exactly what "real" poverty is.

Third, the point of this thread is not "preaching that poverty is happiness", or "pro poverty", but rather pondering if happiness can be found in life for those without great wealth.

Because a lot of people out there are struggling. For most people, even if they work as hard as they can, they'll never be wealthy because the world's wealth is distributed in such an uneven way. Most people in the world aren't born into rich families and handed life on a silver platter (including me). And honestly I can't think of any people I've ever known who were born rich that didn't grow up to be vapid, self centered, oblivious wastes of human space (just watch some reality TV.)

I grew up poor and worked hard for what I have in life. Everything I have is something I acquired through my own ingenuity. I float on my own steam and not my family's coattails. Because of that, I appreciate what I do have, and I've learned to not be wasteful. I never got any hand outs. Can you say that?
nononono
 
  0  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 11:44 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Moreover, I notice that many of you don't seem to either comprehend the O.P.'s inquiry or how to respond directly to it.


Exactly! Smile

Sturgis, would you be willing to share more of your thoughts on how you've found happiness in your life that wasn't reliant on 'things' (beyond basic life necessities)?
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 11:44 am
@nononono,
Congrats for your accomplishments and your ability to understand the value of making it on your own.

If we've been keeping up with our economy for the past several decades, most of us understand that the majority of middle class families have lost our share of the benefits of hard work. The simple fact that CEO's now earn almost 300% more than the average wage at the company they work at 'should' be a clue as to what's happened. When the top 20% owns more than 80% of the assets, we know our economy is broken.

That is simple greed; it doesn't help them or everybody else when sharing the largess of their company profit will benefit all of them and not only the CEO and shareholders.

Greed ignores common sense.

0 Replies
 
nononono
 
  0  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 11:47 am
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 02:14 pm
@nononono,
Did u c my post, wherein I raised a question
of your use of the concept: "integrity"
and that my efforts were in service of HEDONISM, instead ?
nononono
 
  -1  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 03:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, if you've never worked a day in your life then as far as I'm concerned you're not in touch with reality.

And you could hurt someone dropping things from the air...
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:05 pm
@nononono,
nononono wrote:
David, if you've never worked a day in your life then
as far as I'm concerned you're not in touch with reality.
U claim that trial lawyers r not in touch with reality; gotcha.
I have experienced people getting mad and resenting
other folks for not laboring. Its OK with me.



nononono wrote:
And you could hurt someone dropping things from the air...
I did not drop them onto anyone,
and there were no complaints.

I thought that u might like to explain
how u employ the word: "integrity", but I guess not.
nononono
 
  0  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You were a lawyer? Ok, well that is a job. You made it sound like you came from a wealthy family and had never worked once. So that's what's known as a miscommunication...

Did you know that I'm a college graduate, and that one of my best friends is a lawyer?
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Wed 23 Jul, 2014 04:59 pm
@nononono,
nononono wrote:
You were a lawyer? Ok, well that is a job.
I 've known people who actually DID labor.
I was bringing out the distinction,
contrasting that with predominantly speaking in argument or in negotiation.

To my mind, conversing is not working.
0 Replies
 
Ding an Sich
 
  1  
Thu 24 Jul, 2014 04:35 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

When I think about the things that really make me smile, none of them really have anything to do with money. Yet money causes worry, so relief of that worry is happiness in and of itself.

Happy to hear any thoughts.


The question is vague. Exactly how much are we talking? Is there a range?

People need to understand that money is used as an indirect medium of exchange. You exchange value for value with it. Think of it as a function. I bet you that some of the things that make you smile are, in part, because of money; because you can purchase what you want with it.

By your logic, anything that causes worry needs to be relieved of in order to have happiness in and of itself. Which is absurd. And what the hell is "happiness in and of itself"? Are we going Hegelian here?
0 Replies
 
Ding an Sich
 
  1  
Thu 24 Jul, 2014 04:37 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

You were a lawyer? Ok, well that is a job.


No, that's a profession.
0 Replies
 
Isabelle2090
 
  2  
Thu 24 Jul, 2014 09:15 pm
I think peopel can live very happilly without enough money, the happiness that is given by relatives and friends is the most precious wealth.
kajla00007
 
  1  
Fri 25 Jul, 2014 01:18 am
@nononono,
Well money does affect happiness and i also doeson't. Malcolm Gladwell dealt with this topic in his book "Outlier". Both have a correlation up to middle class income, above that it's a straight line, means no impact
0 Replies
 
HexHammer
 
  1  
Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:45 pm
@Isabelle2090,
Isabelle2090 wrote:

I think peopel can live very happilly without enough money, the happiness that is given by relatives and friends is the most precious wealth.
Either it requires the right mindset, or happily ignorence.

Many piss poor people who never heard about the filthy ritch people often lives very happy.
0 Replies
 
IRFRANK
 
  1  
Sun 27 Jul, 2014 06:05 pm
@Setanta,
I'm glad you were provided some happiness from this thread.
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 07/23/2021 at 10:03:42