Can you live a happy life without much money?

OmSigDAVID

Tue 12 Aug, 2014 05:33 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

What "sure"ness?
There's hardly anything at all that I'm "sure" of except as it pertains to my own behavior.
It could well be all wrong for everyone else. I'm not real "sure" about anything.
Lustig Andrei wrote:
[In Post: # 5,738,854, conveniently set forth on Page 5 hereof]

Not necessarily like gravity or anything else that we can strive to understand.
I already told you, except for being sure that it's there, I know absolutely nothing about it.
What's more, I firmly believe that our puny human brains are incapable of ever understanding it.
So I can't answer any of your questions with any precision at all.
THAT'S what "sure"ness.

David
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 12 Aug, 2014 07:40 am
Quote:
Topic title: Can you live a happy life without much money?

Depends on the person. I like the simple uncluttered life myself.
Many people get caught in the credit trap but not me.
For example my bank said "You've been with us for quite a few years, we'll get you fixed up with a credit card".
"I don't need one, my debit card is just fine" I replied.
"But EVERYBODY needs a credit card" they said
So I let them waste 20 minutes of their time "fixing me up" with one.
At home I checked the small print, didn't like the "hidden charges" and stuff so I cut up the card and binned it without using it..Smile
0 Replies

thus

Fri 15 Aug, 2014 02:05 pm
@nononono,
happines is attained when no more craving is attained
you can begin to emliminate craving by being mindful of realitly as it realy is
Romeo Fabulini

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:36 pm
Quote:
Topic title: Can you live a happy life without much money?

Well Robin Williams made millions from his films but it didn't make him happy, and it couldn't stop him doing booze and drugs and killing himself, and other rich stars and singers are always yo-yoing in and out of rehab, go figger..

Omar Khayyam had the right "simple life is best" mindset when he wrote to his ladyfriend-
"A book of verse beneath the bough,
A flask of wine, a loaf of bread,
and thou beside me singing in the wilderness,
and wilderness is Paradise enow!"

Daniel Boone had a great oulook too-
"All a man needs for happiness is a good wife, a good horse and a good gun"
PhilipOSopher

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 04:05 pm
@nononono,
There's a great quote from Van Halen singer David Lee Roth (although it's probably already been mentioned here):
'Money can't buy you happiness, but it CAN buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.'
Phil (www.philosophersblogofideas.blog.com)
FOUND SOUL

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 04:38 pm
@nononono,
My name is Abbey
I am from a poor family
Everyday though, I get to learn things
Everyday, I have food in my stomach and water to drink
My brother laughs all the time and we play after school
I watch my mother who eats less than me be smiles all the time
I know not what a mobile phone is, or the internet though I've heard of it
My Father made a paper flower for my Mother it made her smile, he couldn't buy her a rose but she said this was perfect, it was forever and she put it on display
My brother gave me a huge hug the other day, because I found a stone and wrote his name on it, he put it proudly on his window sill
I looked up at the stars last night, gosh they were beautiful
Yesterday my toes touched the sand and sea, gosh that was beautiful
I don't have many clothes and I help my Mum wash daily we laugh as we do it.
We get seeds every year and we plant them, corn, potatoes, beans, gosh they taste good.
I feel blessed for my life and my family, we are always smiling, running, doing things together, walking and we sit at a table and eat together every breakfast/lunch and dinner . We don't eat much but enough.

We're so happy...................

Sometimes I wish I was born 100 or so years ago where people grew their food, played outside, left doors open, little gifts meant the world, people smiled.

They say the simple things in life are free. And, they are.

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 04:56 pm
Now I come to think of it, my family were "poor" in comparison to everybody else in our street in the 1950's.
For example we didn't have a TV until I was about 8, we never did have a phone or car, and I never had any proper books or a decent bike, but I was happy enough, the house was okay and there was always food on the table.
We might have had more cash if my parents hadn't both smoked like chimneys..
cicerone imposter

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 04:58 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Cigarettes were relatively cheap in the fifties. Shocked Rolling Eyes

Quote:
← Everyone EqualJust How Hot is HOT!? →
56 YEARS AGO
Posted on August 1, 2011 by Pick/*****
I recall in 1967 the difference in gas and cigarettes hadn’t changed much in price from 1955.

In VA cigarettes were .30 cents a pack! You could travel a short ways across the line into NC and purchase them for .20 cents. In 1982 cigarettes were .55 cents a pack and I thought that was insane and so I quit. I had sworn to quit when they hit .50 cents!

In the late fifties, I think we paid .15c/pack in the military service.
Romeo Fabulini

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wish my parents had cut down on their smoking a bit and bought me a childrens encyclopaedia and a few other books instead of cheap comics..
PS- my dad had a good job but I suspect he was giving chunks of cash to his mother at her house behind my mams back.
Incidentally he was a wine nut and a lot of his cash also went on that..
JLNobody

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 05:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig, don't take this badly but your orientation is SO much like mine--and I'm pleased that it be so.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 06:30 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
That's an irony because I used to take my kids to a bookstore regularly to let them buy any books they wanted - including comics. Both our sons graduated with honors from college. Our older son now works at the University of Texas in Austin as the supervisor of the reference library.
0 Replies

nononono

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 07:29 pm
@PhilipOSopher,
Quote:
There's a great quote from Van Halen singer David Lee Roth

Love DLR!

No VanHagar for me thank you...
0 Replies

nononono

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 07:30 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Well Robin Williams made millions from his films but it didn't make him happy, and it couldn't stop him doing booze and drugs and killing himself, and other rich stars and singers are always yo-yoing in and out of rehab, go figger..

True. The Robin WIlliams thing is hard to ignore.

Still very sad.
0 Replies

nononono

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 07:34 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Sometimes I wish I was born 100 or so years ago where people grew their food, played outside, left doors open, little gifts meant the world, people smiled.

They say the simple things in life are free. And, they are.

Very true. Friendships and good conversation are priceless for me. Not enough money in the world to buy a genuine friend when you need one.

Also the ability to learn new things and expand my awareness of the world/cosmos.

I'm very grateful for the gift of conscious thought.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 09:36 pm
Quote:
Cicerone said: I used to take my kids to a bookstore regularly to let them buy any books they wanted - including comics. Both our sons graduated with honors from college. Our older son now works at the University of Texas in Austin as the supervisor of the reference library.

Good for you and them mate, my parents used to buy me comics til they were coming out of my ears and I got sick of them because all I wanted were a few good books.
I had one tattered old book when I was very young called "How it Works and How it is Made" all about ships, planes, tanks, racing cars and stuff and I loved it but my parents threw it away because it was so tatty and I had to endure years of comics instead.
I half-suspect my dad threw the book away because he couldn't handle the thought that I might grow up to be brainier than him, so he wanted to keep me dumb, he was a little **** in many ways.
Luckily my mate Johnny up the road had a beautiful set of children's illustrated encyclopaedias, so I was able to spend hours and hours in his house reading them..Smile
cicerone imposter

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 09:44 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
A few years ago when I visited our son's apartment in Austin, he had one bedroom full of books piled up on the floor.

Have you ever heard of Simon Winchester? He's one of my favorite authors, because he does his research very well, and writes about interesting people that accomplished much in British history. He even wrote, "The Meaning of Everything" about the first Oxford English dictionary.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sun 17 Aug, 2014 11:53 pm
@thus,
Gassho.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 18 Aug, 2014 01:04 am
I watched the Waltons, I wanted to believe (hell I still want to believe) that families who have each other can be happy with not much, but I have never seen it work in real life. Up to 40 YO maybe, but after that all I see in poor people is bitterness and escape through chemicals.
0 Replies

nononono

Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:01 am
Regardless of my own thoughts on the subject, the responses in this thread have been much more important and valuable than anything I've written myself here.

Whether you believe that money equals happiness or that money is the root of all evil, every comment in this thread has been worth reading.

Thank you, everyone who's commented here.

I think this is an important subject. Please keep sharing/commenting.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:59 am
I read a true account of explorers in the Amazon once (I think it was Readers Digest) who stayed with a remote tribe and learned their language.
During a discussion about western civilisation, the explorers used the words "rich" and "poor", but the natives had no idea what they meant because there were no rich or poor in their tribe.
The explorers tried to explain by saying "a rich man has lots of money", but the natives were still puzzled, so they asked "How many meals a day does a rich man have?"
"Three" replied the explorers.
"Just like us then!" said the natives with big smiles on their faces..Smile
0 Replies