hello

blatham

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 07:22 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Well Mr Harper appears to be doing well with the people in Canada who elected him.

The left is divided between NDP and Liberals which gave him another win last time. This coming election will not work out that way. Trudeau is going to take this (for what my prediction might be worth).

Re reaction to Ottawa event. The only real similarity to US reaction is what emerged from Harper's mouth. I've had one conversation about it, no email, and the press here let it go by the following day (other than some data on the crazy guy who did it).

Sure, no question that the US has been targeted. Entirely reasonable they would be given their mucking about in the world (for own benefit, most primarily). It would make no sense to presume any other outcome.

But the response to 9/11 was insane. More innocent lives are lost in countless ways each year, unnecessarily (tobacco, guns, drunk drivers). Far more personal and family tragedy in those than in 9/11. Then look at how the US has responded - the cost in lives, money, civil rights, etc. That makes no sense unless one factors in how hegemons behave.

I don't think you are going to find many Muslims in the middle east or elsewhere who would hold that the US is kinder, more helpful, more respectful of local traditions, etc than were the Europeans previously. If something like that is true or close to true, then the US is presently doing precisely the sorts of things that will make Muslims even more extreme. Which seems to be happening. Yeah, these people are a problem but we've sat by while stuff as ugly has happened elsewhere. The calculation is perceived self-interest, not altrusim. The point, though, was that the reaction was insane in relationship to real world effects of the event. Nationalist pride is a key feature of hegemons. 9/11 was an insult. Tobacco deaths are just business.
blatham

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 07:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Fist was not clenched. My hands were open in the manner of the welcome you won't receive in the heaven you won't see.

"bitch slap" That's funny. I don't think the term had much traffic at that time even if it wasn't terribly long ago. But I would never bitch slap you, frank. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I'd do that to anyone. No, there is someone. George Will.
blatham

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 07:39 pm
On a related not to the above (bitch slapping, George Will)...

I've been writing online now for nearly twenty years. That's something close to a million words. And I don't think I have ever used the vulgar term for a woman's naughty bit, that one that starts with C. Until a week ago. It was, for me, worth the wait.

In his column, Will wrote:
Quote:
One Democrat whose gallantry toward women is monomaniacal, Sen. Mark Udall (Colo.), is now uncomfortably known here as “Mark Uterus.

Given Will's recent statements on women, he's made himself something of a very deserving target. Of course, Udall isn't "now known here" as Mark Uterus. That's an opposition line that carries all the obvious baggage. Will slipped it in to forward all that crap. I quickly knocked off a tweet:

"Sheesh. Mark Udall has now become Mark Uterus. And George Will has now become George ****. There's so much to remember."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 09:08 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Sure, no question that the US has been targeted. Entirely reasonable they would be given their mucking about in the world (for own benefit, most primarily). It would make no sense to presume any other outcome.

I suppose you also think it's reasonable for bank robbers to shoot policemen.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 09:32 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Well, of course it's "reasonable." That doesn't justify it, doesn't make it "right."
blatham

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 09:48 pm
A bit more on Joni Ernst. She has refused to sit down with editorial staff of key state newspapers including the Des Moines Register (which endorsed Romney last cycle). She's doing a Sarah Palin/Sharron Angle thing of hiding her extremisms and stupidhood. So the DMR went the other way on their endorsement. How extreme is the lady, you might ask?

John Nichols ‏@NicholsUprising 11m11 minutes ago
Why the @DMRegister rejects Iowa R Joni Ernst: "she would abolish the EPA, the Department of Education and the federal minimum wage."

There's more but that oughta do for starters.
blatham

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 09:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The right/wrong moral equation is an irrelevancy here. The point is that any hegemon or colonial ruler is going to get blowback. We are hardly surprised when Germanic types (my mother in law was one) push into Rome or when Indians or Israelis get out weapons to point at the Brits or when the Incas get really pissed at the Spanish or when Afghanis do what they did to the Russians.

The bank scenario is a spectacularly inappropriate analogy. Good grief.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:09 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
The bank scenario is a spectacularly inappropriate analogy. Good grief.

Oh, I agree. I was just pointing out to oralloy that his post lacked basic logic.
blatham

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
OK, gotcha now. Do you suppose he'll find his way through the thicket on this one? I'm not entirely confident of it but hell, maybe there is a tooth fairy. Maybe she's a blonde with really nice thighs. Maybe.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
The right/wrong moral equation is an irrelevancy here.

That depends on whether or not you are an amoral scumbag.

Those of us with a sense of human decency don't think it's irrelevant here.

blatham wrote:
The bank scenario is a spectacularly inappropriate analogy.

Only inappropriate in the view of people who can't tell the difference between America and the terrorists.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:29 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Oh, I agree.

Do you have trouble telling the difference between America and the terrorists?

Lustig Andrei wrote:
I was just pointing out to oralloy that his post lacked basic logic.

Try pointing out even one logical flaw in what I said.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Do you suppose he'll find his way through the thicket on this one?

More blatham blather.

Pretending that I am somehow "lost" or "misguided" is just your silly attempt to cover up the fact that you lack the wit and intelligence to confront what I say.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Lustig Andrei wrote:
I was just pointing out to oralloy that his post lacked basic logic.

Try pointing out even one logical flaw in what I said.

oralloy wrote:

Of course t's reasonable for bank robbers to shoot policemen. It defies logic to expect a bank robber to act otherwise. Yout were trying to make an analogy that makes no logical sense.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 10:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Hmmm, I returned to B's post and saw that my typeface allowed me to misread the spelling of Ms Ernst first name. Sorry.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:06 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
You were trying to make an analogy that makes no logical sense.

In your view, is there any difference between "a police officer shooting at a bank robber" and "a bank robber shooting at a police officer"?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:07 pm
@oralloy,
Yes. Why?
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Yes.

"America fighting the war on terror" is like "a police officer shooting at bank robbers".

"The terrorists who launch attacks against America" are like "bank robbers shooting at a police officer".

Blatham is saying that America lacks this moral righteousness. The point of my post was to call him out on that outrageous claim.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
Why?

Because if you couldn't tell the difference, you'd be like blatham and there would be no point in me trying to explain.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:33 pm
@oralloy,
Blatham is right on this one. A valid analogy for the ongoing struggle between the USA and the Islamist terrorists might be a gang war between two mobs, not a gunfight between cops and robbers.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2014 11:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Blatham is right on this one. A valid analogy for the ongoing struggle between the USA and the Islamist terrorists might be a gang war between two mobs, not a gunfight between cops and robbers.

The US is a Westphalian state with a long history of supporting freedom and democracy.

The terrorists are a pack of fanatics who seek the murder of every non-Muslim on the planet and who think that women should be killed for learning how to read.

To claim that there is any equivalency is ludicrous and offensive.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 12:05 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The US is a Westphalian state with a long history of supporting freedom and democracy.
The political idea of a Westphalian state contradicts actions in foreign countries.
Historically looked at, the USA isn't situated in 1648's Europe.