LET's LEARN FRENCH!!!!

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 03:43 pm
Mmm, yes...too bad there are no good versions of either to be found in Toronto.
0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:25 am
Can someone please help me out? I really need your help! I know you guys have given me lots of phrases and it helped...a little. But I think one of the most trouble I have with learning languages is that I don't know how to pronounce most of the words, so consequently I don't know how to spell it, and then I can't remember the words in my head.

Can someone recommend some websites for me? You know the kind of website that either allows you to listen to French or gives you the pronunciation?

Also, can someone make a list for me a basic list of phrases and words I should know to make a basic conversation with anyone?

Beaucoup Merci. (is that right?)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:33 am
"Merci beaucoup" I believe. I hope someone can point you to a good website. I don't know any good enough for what you are looking for.
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:57 am
Celui-ci a l'air intéressant:
This one seems to be interesting:

http://french.about.com/library/pronunciation/bl-pronunciation.htm

PS: Dans n'importe quel dictionnaire Anglais-Français, tu peux trouver une transcription phonétique des mots français...
PS: In any English-French Dictionary, you can find a phonetic transcription to the French words...
0 Replies

judithlawrence

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 12:32 pm
Salut, ca va bien? "Hi, how are you?"
J'ai comprend pas "I don't understand"
anything in specific that you want?
0 Replies

danload

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:00 pm
"Hi, how are you" = "Salut, comment vas-tu ?".

"I don't understand" = "je ne comprends pas".

It's better this way :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:11 pm
danload wrote:
Hi, how are you" = "Salut, comment vas-tu ?".

"I don't understand" = "je ne comprends pas".

It's better this way :wink:

En tout cas en France :wink:
0 Replies

danload

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
En tout cas en France :wink:

Ouaipe Razz
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:46 pm
I took three years of French back in high school. Everything was just fine until our teacher told us what had happened to her. Every two or three years she would go to France for a few weeks in the summer to brush up, and she said she was easily mistaken for a Frenchwoman. One day she went to a post office to buy some stamps to mail post cards back to the States. Everything was just fine until the postal worker saw where the post cards were addressed to (the US), and then he prentended not to be able to understand her, and made her write down on a piece of paper what she wanted.

After hearing that story, it was like a balloon was popped. I just didn't care about studying French anymore. If no matter how hard you try it doesn't matter, then why bother?

I've worked overseas 12 years now. Everyplace I've gone (Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Hungary, Portugal, Spain and Malta) if you just try to speak a few words of their languages, I've found people will bend over backwards to help you.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:13 pm
A rude person in a post-office or a few vile specimens in Paris do not account for the whole of France, Jim. If you went to France, I am sure that you would learn that this is an isolated case. There are rude people every where.

0 Replies

Zedd

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:16 pm
awww, jim, i'm sorry to hear about your experience with the French...

I won't be able to tell u from personal experience since i have never been to France before, but from what I hear from people who have been there or know French people, they say that the STEREOTYPICAL French tends to be negative toward the Americans. But I'm SURE that is not the case with EVERY French person. Like I said, I'm really sorry that such thing would happen to you. I just hope that when I finally get my chance to study abroad in France, people would treat me with courtesy and such.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 12:26 pm
I've been to France many times, and have been treated with more curtesy and civility than I was in the US or in England... even before I became fluent in the language, people were willing to help me along.

0 Replies

judithlawrence

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:56 pm
man, france french and Quebec french are MILES apart. Slang french sounds so different. But this is the way life goes:) non?
0 Replies

danload

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:38 pm
No more than between American and British english I suppose...
What is really difficult to understand at first, for a french from France, is the accent of the people from Quebec Confused .
Otherwise there is no particular problem with the language itself (even slang).
A French guy and a French Canadian guy will have no problem communicating by mail, for instance. They would hardly notice that they're not from the same country Cool .
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 12:27 pm
caramel wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
If you ever visit Quebec, especially Montreal, there are some phrases you should know:

Asti tabernac
Maudites Anglais
Poutine, s'il vous plais
Ou est le strip?

I'm a bit rusty, It's been a while.

Québécois!

Hostie tabarnac Embarrassed
Maudits anglais
Poutine, s'il-vous-plait
Où est la main
Des roteux et une graisseuse
Une mol
Une bière tablette

Do you want more! :wink:

Cool

How about the meaning of it all? Laughing

Here is a nice link for it:

http://www.jump-gate.com/languages/french/

http://www.word2word.com/coursead.html#french
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 02:53 pm
The meaning of these. Well these are really 'slang' Québécois words

Hostie tabarnac : These are sweardwords oops:

Maudits anglais : Damn English

Poutine, s'il-vous-plait : Poutine, please (here's a link where you will find everythings you want to know about Poutine)
http://www.avivalasvegas.com/Pages/poutinetalk6.htm

Où est la maine : That's what St-Laurent Street in Montréal is referred to.

Des roteux et une graisseuse : hot-dogs and french fried

Une mol : That would be a Molson Beer

Une bière tablette : That's a beer served at room temperature.

Cool
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 03:01 pm
Cool, thank you!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 03:35 pm
"Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir" mean "would you like to sleep with me tonight? But this is only if you don't know the person well. It is more proper to use "Veut tu coucher avec moi ce soir?"
0 Replies

Ning

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 04:53 pm
"tu veux baiser avec moi ?" in slang :wink:
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:44 pm
An advise for the english speakers in France :
Do not say "Tu veux baiser avec moi?" if you really want to sleep with a girl! Try to say that, and any french girl will slap you! Laughing It is not just slang, it can be taken as an insult!
0 Replies