Whether to Ignore or not to Ignore

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 07:33 pm
That's the question. a2k is a great place to learn and enjoy some entertainment, but once in awhile, we run into a poster who seems completely void of common sense, facts, evidence, or credible source to support their opinion.

That's when the question of "should I Ignore this poster or not?" comes up.

Then, there are posters we think doesn't offer much in the area of credible information, but is none the less interesting enough to follow.

I have a few on my list of Ignore, but I do peek in once in awhile to see if their repetitions have changed or they at least provide interesting information that's worth considering.

Remember when a2k used to have numbers of votes for a post? I'm really not asking for that, but I wonder if there is a way we would know how many Ignores any one poster has accumulated.

What's your thoughts on this subject?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 7,731 • Replies: 96

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 07:39 pm
Speaking as one who uses the ignore function and is likely ignored in turn, I - uh - what was the question?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 07:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quit confusing me, edgar! I'm confused enough.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 07:49 pm
I'll be the odd one to speak up to the ability to ignore for a time.
Sometimes I need a rest, not, certainly, forever. It seems this is not a common problem.

Last I read, the new way might be to have both folks know.
I get that.

But sometimes I put people in the cloak room, pushed along by Sr. Mary Saint Cloak still residing in my brain, and then let them out again.

Whatever is worked out, I hope for placicity.
roger

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 07:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, sometimes you have to balance the pleasure of not seeing them anymore against the irritation of not being able to vote their posts and threads down.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 07:57 pm
@ossobuco,
To translate that, you can still wake up the poster's post and slam it down.

I don't know if that works, since I am not a counter at the other end of all this.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 08:01 pm
@ossobuco,
It rarely, if any, has any effect, but we continue to challenge them any ways so newbies won't be led by their lies into thinking like 'them.'

Look what happened to our country's politics. "They" repeat the lies so often, it becomes their truth!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 08:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, but you insult people all the time.
All the time. I remember mentioning that to you years ago and later several times.
I get it that you do that compulsively, but it only flames the fires.

You know I appreciate you, but not for this slam business. Your insults diminish your gravitas.

Read - Not flaming does not equal acquiescense.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 08:24 pm
Ignore does not have to mean hostility. I don't necessarily dislike a few that I don't read. I just get tired of trying to work around the disruptions to the threads they frequent. I am not so wonderful, but I come on here to suit myself. As should all of you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 08:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't worry about my 'gravitas' and not much else. I will continue to call a spade a spade when I determine that the poster does not post facts or opinion that can't be substantiated by credible sources - or common sense.

I is who I is; with all the blemish and name calling.

I just don't understand why you're on my case so often.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am on your case (despite that I agree with you on at least some stuff) since you send knives out, insults out, almost like a kind of expurgative hate filled vomit.

That is not useful re your point of view, and, re me, I'm tired of seeing it.

You leave no room for talk while you throw nets of bile.

Stop it.

I know you can talk without vilifying the person you talk with. Try it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't need a 'mother' at my age. Bug off!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm your age, or almost.

I even agree with you on much. But you keep shitting on people and that reflects on all of us. I get it you can't contain yourself, but I'm tired of it.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Don't you think that's a bit strong, osso?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
No, I don't. I've, if anything, been too quiet, since I have met CI and care about him, still do. He shits on posters over and over and I'm tired of it. This isn't that I agree with the shiterood but a plea for simple courtesy.
Being explosive is not useful.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't use the thumbs up/down, I don't use the ignore function nor any other filters. Poorly thought out text lacking in logicality, empiricism and sound argumentation is not only no bother to me but wholly unsurprising.

In fact given the inevitability of human nature I am if anything pleasantly surprised when a poster uses logic, empiricism and sound argumentation.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:11 pm
@Chumly,
That's nice, since you are here about once a year or every six months.
Wilso

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:18 pm
I wish it was a complete block, so you didn't see replies to them, quotes on them, or that they were the last poster on a thread. I've tried to stop quoting for that reason. To protect those who have ignored someone.
Chumly

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Your assessment of my visit frequency plays no part in the inevitability of human nature as per poorly thought out text lacking in logicality, empiricism and sound argumentation.

Further, my 10,001 posts since January 2, 2006 argues against your visit frequency claim and emphasizes my point as to the common lack of logicality, empiricism and sound argumentation.

Sadly my mother in law has pneumonia and I must tend to other matters as well; I wish good health.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:27 pm
Oh, look, a balloon!

beg your pardon re your mother in law, may she get well.
0 Replies