Whether to Ignore or not to Ignore

JTT

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 12:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
"grow up", odd that a guy your age should suggest that, Frank, considering just what an intellectual coward you are.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 01:04 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I don't think I ever have thumbed down for disagreement. Maybe, but I try not to do that. Certainly not for random troll play, which we've seen here. Behavior, yes, but I tend to float over it for the zillionth time, or ignore for a rest period. Of course, having floated over something a lot, when I bring it up, like I did on this thread re CI, I tend to get over agitated. I apologize, Tak, for the repetitive battering.

I will often thumb up for well expressed views that introduce new thoughts or data to me, sometimes when I'm in present disagreement but want to think about it, whatever it is. Finn and I disagree on stuff and more stuff, but I've thumbed his writing up a fair batch of times. I will post up for posts that obviously take work, as in finding photographs or useful links. I'll thumb up for very funny. I wouldn't be surprised if hingehead hasn't gotten the highest number of my thumbs up.

I'd say that in general I don't somehow hate people I ignore/send to cloak room - it's more for my daily sense of well being: I am here most days over years now, and that is mostly to enjoy myself, learn, and catch up with a2kers while trying to keep my own real life going in sometimes tricky circumstances.

My ignore list gets elongated since I look at pretty much all new posts and there are some subjects I just don't want to see, and want to do housekeeping to clear. A lot of those are people busy at games and trivia, though I like those sometimes, and from my experience to date, like the people. Some of the threads I don't want to see again are about philosophy/religion/hot air (oops). With newbies on those, I try not to thumb their whole threads down until they get a bunch of people participating - but after a lot of those I will add the poster to ignore.

Finally, to repeat, should the site folks get into a serious redo re the ignore business, I'd like, as I've said or tried to explain, that if they are going to make it reciprocal (they can't see you either), that I'd like there to still be a second type, the rest period type, where the person doesn't have to know. No hurt feelings going on, and the ignorer can change it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 01:11 pm
@ossobuco,
osso wrote,
Quote:
I apologize, Tak, for the repetitive battering.

Apology accepted - with gratitude.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 01:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ok, you get to chew me out (uh oh, that sounds dirty in print, but is an old phrase) if I ever get to the bay area again. Just today I was looking for good photos re the trip up highway 101 from San Francisco to Oregon. Mine are better, cough, I drove it so many times, but I need to get them online.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 01:47 pm
@Chumly,
Sigh, time for me to apologize to you too, re the balloon comment and your not being a poster of much. Wrong.

I'm surprised you have posted that much, a wake up. Maybe you post in categories I don't watch. I feel as if I've read very few threads or posts by you, and I've never avoided them on purpose, usually interested when I do see them.
Plus the obvious, that you have a right to your opinion, even had you not posted much.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 06:57 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

I wish it was a complete block, so you didn't see replies to them, quotes on them, or that they were the last poster on a thread. I've tried to stop quoting for that reason. To protect those who have ignored someone.

This forum would be a lot more popular and active if you could totally block some posters, the trolls and those that feed them gets old and tiresome.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 08:54 am
Once I finally gave in and put posters on ignore I was chagrined to find I had to add a sub-group to the list: the troll-feeders.
I opened one thread and found nothing but a row of user ignored
sheesh
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 09:44 am
Page one, five folks from the land of "freedom of speech" (and one Aussie coward) extolling ignore.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 10:27 am
I looked at my ignore list last night. There were a few pages of game-players, the kind who flood a2k about once per year sharing clues and other information.

When people feed the trolls overmuch I put some on temporary ignore.
JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 10:46 am
@edgarblythe,
The land of free speech, the nation where it is valued, nurtured, protected by USA citizens. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:09 am
JTT, Your mental illness needs attention at a mental institution.
JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI again reveals to all just what a compulsive liar he is.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 11:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI: Whether to ignore or not to ignore, that is the question that causes me, a lying little putz such consternation!

Or use ignore to illustrate just what cowards and liars we all are, we the people who gave the world freedom of speech, we who regularly mouth these empty platitudes to keep the sheeple contentedly browsing.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 12:23 pm
Pages 1 to 3 and all those discussing IGNORE, and how it is so important to them and their weak psyches are USians, except for the aforementioned cowardly Aussie. And djjd (sp???) who rejected it without comment.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 07:04 pm
@Chumly,
You always brighten my day, Chumly. Sorry about your mother in law.

As for the ignore function, I don't ignore anybody. I don't read every post, though. I eschew videos and voluminous cut and pastes by those not articulate enough to post succinctly.

Some of those I least agree with have advanced my understanding greatly.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 07:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yeah. Just thumbed ya.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2014 08:57 pm
@neologist,
Thank you, neo. Backat'cha.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:27 pm
I sometimes place people on ignore who are getting on my last nerve...sometimes they come off. I like to read different opinions. Even if I've disagreed with a poster in the past, it doesn't mean I always will. But that's only if they are multi-faceted and not agenda driven. If a person has the same message no matter the topic...then they're agenda/propaganda drivers.
roger

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:25 pm
@Germlat,
Sometimes, you just get tired of the obscenities and insults, don't you. I do, and I just sent another to wherever they go. I'm not liking the trend around here.
Miss L Toad

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 03:25 am
@roger,

I don't have anyone on ignore because I wouldn't miss the merest moment of the overblown obstreperous obloquy.