Help me out , deliver me from suspicions!

wooyong

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2014 09:53 pm
Hello, I am an ESL korean highschool student.
Recently, i have got some problems about my english skills.

As you know(because few months ago, i wrote an inquiry.), i have learned English by Bible! And english-written newpapers.

And i focused on the words on these materials for improving my vocabulary.
(Words that is common or , i don't know exactly but, some is not common)

But , in korea, English education is based on reading **** nasty writings.
(Please Somebody who wonders what is nasty search korean college entrance exam....)

Here , is my problem that i frequently forget words when i am trying to say some words that i have learned or recall these words.

Fortunately , i can recall meaning of words in reading... (Cause Education is focused on reading.)

here , in a nutshell , i have two question abput these obstacles.
First, am i learning english right with these materials?

Second, as i said i frequently forget words , how can i improve my speaking... Recalling ability???!!?

P.s. I want Skype English comraid! Who is interested in reading bible or studying bible!!!!

I am always waiting your cool answers ! Thanks for reading this long story~

View best answer, chosen by wooyong
fresco
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 01:15 am
@wooyong,
There are different varieties of "English", both written and spoken, for different tasks. The old-fashioned language of the bible is only appropriate in a religious or moral context. If you are learning English for the general purposes of modern communication you need to study contemporary sources such as books, newspapers and documentary narratives.
JTT

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 11:39 am
@fresco,
Quote:
If you are learning English for the general purposes of modern communication you need to study contemporary sources such as books, newspapers and documentary narratives.

That approach has always left the very holes the OP describes. Speech is first and foremost in learning a language. To realize this one only has to look at native children. The tools of language, which are the grammar structures, are learned best with speech.
fresco

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 11:55 am
@JTT,
The word "narrative" was intended to predominantly imply speech. Obviously we could include the study of non-factual discourse in the list but I was trying to avoid idiolect issues.
JTT

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 12:06 pm
@fresco,
I see. I stand corrected, Fresco.
0 Replies

worldtraveler24

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:51 am
Hi Wooyoung,

What these gentlemen have said is not doubt true! Contemporary language skills come though current writings and every-day verbal language. However, if you want to write correctly, the Bible is a great source for the grammar. The Old King James would be somewhat archaic in the word usage but the grammar should still hold true. If you were to read perhaps the New King James version or the NIV you may be more inclined to gain the contemporary English. Obviously the grammar should still hold true with any of these versions.

I actually learned Spanish by reading the Reina Valera edition 1960. This unlike the King James versions in English, is a relatively contemporary translation and uses mostly contemporary language used in the verbal language spoken today. This was a great help to me as well as a support to my faith in Jesus.

If you need additional language skills try listening to

http://www.usalearns.org/index/welcome.cfm?CFID=20934202&CFTOKEN=68275285&jsessionid=3c30b66201ac3040ab0e503a3f2c6e41a701 This could perhaps dispel any questions that you may have.

Take care!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 12:06 pm
@wooyong,
Many learn English by watching television. I have met people whose sole 'teacher' in English was by watching t.v. Watching t.v. can supplement your other learning methods. I think it will help you tremendously.
0 Replies