n/a
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,026 • Replies: 30
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 07:47 pm
It sure is a crazy world we live in, isn't it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 07:58 pm
Joes_element, welcome, first of all, to a2k. We have some participants on this site who have met online and have excellent romances now in real life.

I have no doubt that most would suggest you meet, and maybe you'll be just friends, maybe more. I'll be quiet and wait and let some other people comment. And I sure hope with you that she comes back online.

(Hi, Gus, we're looking for ya over on the Can We Talk thread, heh..)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:05 pm
Be right there, Osso.
0 Replies

joes element

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:06 pm
0 Replies

gracie

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:31 pm
well...most frequent onliners who try to meet decen people...it is kinda difficult...and a turn-on in itself to actually meet "just friends"...the only difficulty comes is is when the feelings take over and late night, devoted chats start to happen....

well...all i can really say is that i hope she is ok too...i would say to meet her if you really feel this passionately of her...and to put the feeling of unease out of you....

but for the question...."online soulmate?"....i dont want to be a pooper scooper and all...but realistically speaking do you really think of this girl as a soul mate?...i watched a show one time wherein an author of a book called, THERE IS NO SUCH THINGS AS SOULMATES,....which i DO NOT believe...but she made a good point....you really never know what kind of soulmate a person is to you...maybe its a person you may marry for life and go and live the "happy ever after ending"....or that person may be just in your life as a guide towards the next stage of your life....it is up to you to decide what this girl is to you.....

being a hopeless (and i mean HOPELESS) romantic myself...i wish you nothing but the best....for you and for her no matter what it is.....
0 Replies

joes element

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:52 pm
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:58 pm
Do you know her real name? Age? You might be able to track her down. Wait a bit, though. She's probably all right, just unable to get to a computer right now.
0 Replies

gracie

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:04 pm
hmmmm....at these times its true that the face doesnt matter and that all you want is to know she is alright...hmmmm....as things of this nature goes....bromeliad is right...she is probably just unable to get to a computer this time...right??...hmmmm....and dont think it ended...your just being totally pesstimistic with no solid reason....and besides....she probably will get in contact with you asap....you did say she was clumsy...you just never know...maybe she even went on a trip and was in a hurry to tell anyone....*sigh*...just be do what they say k???..."hope for the best"...just dont expect the worst
0 Replies

joes element

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:06 pm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:11 pm
My experience online has been good, but there IS that little "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog" aspect. Not that she's unattractive... not what I'm getting at. But that sounds like a lot of drama for one person. I can sort of see the possibility that she was playing a character, an interesting character, one that would keep your attention, and eventually that character had no place to go but heaven. Ya know. Like, it was too much work to sustain the character and sustain interest for 8 hours a day, so she killed off the character.

I don't have a good enough sense of whether that's a possibility from what you said, but it is something that occurred to me. Has certainly happened -- there was an article in the New York Times maybe a year ago? about an online community that was duped by someone claiming to be a teenager with cancer, who "died". But it was really a middle-aged, healthy, and bored woman.

Good luck, however this turns out.
0 Replies

joes element

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:13 pm
0 Replies

gracie

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:16 pm
haha...ok worry wort....im not going to spoil the worry thing for you....but you know that might be purely psychological for you if you say that you tend to worry about kind of stuff...and yeah....good friends are hard to come by these days...believe me when i say that...lol....anyhoo...you report back here when you find out the 411 on her k??....
0 Replies

joes element

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:17 pm
0 Replies

joes element

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:18 pm
0 Replies

gracie

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:22 pm
ok...i have to go now...but keep in touch dude!!!....good luck to you and her....like we say on my island....adto na me akong kaibigan....(i gotta go friends!!!)...haha
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:51 am
Chances are good that she's just got other things to do right now. It's highly unlikely that she's in the hospital, although that's not outside the realm of possibility. In any event, unless you have some sort of an arrangement to tell each other when you won't be around, the fact of the matter is that she has no obligation to tell you if - (here are a few possibilities) -
* she's swamped at work
* some boyfriend or even a platonic friend is visiting
* her parents are having her over
* her computer is in the shop
* the weather in her area precludes her getting online (e. g. thunderstorms, tornadoes, that sort of thing)
* her ISP is down or she's failed to pay the bill
etc. etc. you get the idea.

And, I'm sorry to say, she's under no obligation to tell you if she's lost interest. Chatting tends to really promote short attention spans.

If you do get back in touch, give her your number or at least your email, although the number is better (don't ask for hers, she'll very likely be concerned that you're overdoing things) and ask her to contact you. And then she can do as she wishes, and of course the email or call doesn't have to be a long one.

Texas to Arizona is not that far, and long distance is cheap these days (or you can offer to pay for a call if that's necessary, although that could open up a whole other dynamic which you might not want). Calling should almost always (IMHO) be the precursor to online friends meeting in person. There's just something about a phone call. You really will learn if you click or if she's just a really good chatter. If you haven't yet exchanged emails, though, do that before calling. One step at a time.

Chat has a way of compressing time in two different directions. It feels like forever if someone is late or missing, and the time flies by if you are online with someone for hours, and it can feel like you've known them forever. I do suggest, though, that you not sit by the computer, waiting for her to come online. Spring is here and you should be among people, at least a bit during the day.

Are you soul mates? Eh, who knows? I believe it's impossible to tell that unless there are phone calls and personal meetings. Online is lovely and I'm not knocking it, but you two need to spend some cash and take some chances (e. g. handing out phone numbers, or meeting face to face) before you start talking about who's meant to be with whom.
0 Replies

joes element

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 05:51 pm
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:05 pm
Hey, it's me. I wasn't really in a car crash, I just made up that excuse to let you down easy. Still friends?
0 Replies

joes element

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:32 pm
0 Replies