€1-billion read as one billion euro?

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 03:36 am
Plus, does "row hits flagship brain plan" mean "dispute impacts major brain plan"?

Context:

Row hits flagship brain plan
Changes in scope and focus of European project anger factions of neuroscience community.

The European Union’s high-profile, €1-billion Human Brain Project (HBP), launched last October, has come under fire from neuroscientists, who claim that poor management has run part of the effort’s scientific plans off course.

More:
http://www.nature.com/news/row-hits-flagship-brain-plan-1.15519
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 447 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Bazza6
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 05:42 am
@oristarA,
"€1-billion read as one billion euro"
Yes, though I don't understand why they have written it with a dash. Maybe it's how they write it on the continent, in other languages, and used the same format when writing in English.

AUS $10 = ten dollars Australian

"Plus, does 'row hits flagship brain plan' mean 'dispute impacts major brain plan'".
Yes - though, from the opening sentence, means that the headline is misleading!
It was 'changes in scope and focus" that impacted the plan - then a row broke out about those changes!
'flagship' is more than 'major'. It indicates the TOP plan, the best and most important plan of the organisation.
I just bought a new DVD player that Panasonic flaunts as their 2014 flagship player. From a site I could copy and paste from:
"Panasonic ... has announced six new players for 2014. The flagship DMP-BDT700 can process 4K …"
It is their No. 1 blu-ray, 4k, 3D player.
oristarA

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 09:42 am
@Bazza6,
Excellent!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2014 11:34 am
@Bazza6,
Bazza6 wrote:
I don't understand why they have written it with a dash.

In British (and I believe US) English, expressing that amount of money in words, as the cost of the project, it would the "billion-euro Human Brain Project". If no number is used then "one" is understood. It is customary to use a dash when a number measures something: a ten-ton truck, a half-hour wait, a five-metre rope, a hundred-euro fine, a two-litre bottle, etc. I feel that the typesetter, should have omitted the dash and used "€1 billion project".

0 Replies