I have Insomnia and its midnight

OJW11

Fri 27 Jun, 2014 11:15 pm
First of all, I'm 99.9% certain I have Insomnia
Every night I find myself trying to get comfy. Im comfy, close my eyes, and wait for sleep to take me. Minutes past, and I open my eyes.
I hear my parents downstairs, I'm tempted to ask my Step-Mom to make me some hot-tea. It makes me sleepy.
But I know my parents will say; "why are you still awake" and won't believe me when I say I think I have insomnia.
So now Im in my room. I've watched this movie around 3 times now. I know I should "turn off the lights, all electronics, get comfy and close my eyes, then focus on my breathing"
Problem: Im afraid of the dark (shut up Im 11) and THAT DOESN'T WORK!
Help!
(Im not going to a therapist)

ossobuco

Fri 27 Jun, 2014 11:50 pm
Oh, that's nice. Apparently you are not sleepy. I read. Sometimes I make it to a few pages, mostly I'm off zoning into my DREAMS.

I never shut out my light as I need it both to see and to read. Not a bright light, but enough if I need it.
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 04:14 am
@OJW11,
Get more exercise during the day and don't intake caffeine (it's in a lot of sodas) after noon. Try to lay off the sugar in the afternoons and evenings, too.

Keep the TV off when you are trying to sleep. TVs and sleep really don't mix well; you tend to not get very restful sleep when you do. Keep the room warm but not hot, and keep lights off. If your Dad and stepmother are being too loud, tell them (because they won't know if they're disturbing you).

If all else fails, hot decaf tea is fine; so is warm milk.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 04:31 am
@OJW11,
Woke up at 3:30 wide eyed awake. Something must be going around.
0 Replies

OJW11

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 08:52 am
Thank you
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:22 am
@OJW11,
OJW11 wrote:

I'm tempted to ask my Step-Mom to make me some hot-tea. It makes me sleepy.

How about making your own hot tea?

Seriously. Then you won't be talking to her, and you'll make something that makes you sleepy.

Even better, make yourself a cup of tea and take it with you to bed in the first place.
chai2

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:26 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

If all else fails, hot decaf tea is fine; so is warm milk.

I learned something interesting about black tea the other day.

If you steep it a short time, i.e. a couple of minutes, the caffiene is prominent.

After a couple of minutes, the tannins, which are relaxing, start to come out.

So, if you steep your tea let's say 5 minutes, the caffiene becomes subordinate to the tannins, and you have a relaxing cup.

I've been making darjeeling tea in the evenings, steeping it 5 minutes, and it's quite relaxing.

bobsal u1553115

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:12 am
@chai2,
Damn. Good point.
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 11:34 am
@chai2,
If you come to Boston, I will take you to tea (there are a few places in Cambridge). We'll have tea and finger sammiches and talk all cultured 'n ****.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 11:42 am
@OJW11,
OJW11 wrote:

Problem: Im afraid of the dark (shut up Im 11)

http://able2know.org/about/tos/

you're supposed to be a bit older before you come in here

talk to your parents

good night
chai2

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 11:47 am
@ehBeth,
His parent sell pot.

That's probably why he can't sleep.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 12:36 pm
Parents can be pretty stupid, mine used to bundle me off to bed about 9 in the evening when I wasn't even tired because they told me "you have to be up early for school", so I lay awake for hours before finally dropping off at midnight, it was like torture..
0 Replies