No, no I haven't? What does it mean? I haven't what?

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:15 am

Context:

Room by room, I saw the traps he'd set for other people, I guessed I was being mocked for having ended up as such a callow failure, trapped in a nothing job. I had no doubt Guy had hacked into everything, collected his data.
I tiptoed round the totems, got more and more freaked out. And then, I found another room, another speaking thing, this time a "woman" – I realised, with a jolt, it was Eloise.
She had long black hair, kohled eyes, she was astonishingly beautiful. I remembered, of course. I had been...
Oh well, I had been...
In love.
"Eloise" was speaking quietly, she always spoke quietly, I had to lean towards her – it.
"Guy, I mean, this is ridiculous. It can't go on. No, no I haven't, are you filming? But just for once... can you stop filming every conversation we have? OK, you've stopped. Yes? Promise. Just this once. Please?"
Her expression was pained, contemptuous, loving – she was in agony. I thought of Guy – past – surreptitiously filming anyway, even when she'd begged him not to.
"We can't go on. I love you but it's too much. I can't do it anymore." She was crying now, the kohl was going everywhere. "No, it's not Doug. I don't even care about him. You know that, surely?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 442 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 08:47 am
@oristarA,

It's only half of a conversation, with a person named Guy, who is not the narrator.
It's as if the narrator was listening to half of a telephone conversation.

Guy has (presumably) asked a question, which the narrator has not heard, and she answers "No, no I haven't."
oristarA

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 09:59 am
@McTag,
Thanks.
Does word "surreptitiously" have a negative tone/hue there (or always negative)?
contrex

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:36 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Does word "surreptitiously" have a negative tone/hue there (or always negative)?

It does here. An action done surreptitiously is one done with the intention of secrecy, but the action is not necessarily a bad one.

oristarA

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:00 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

It does here. An action done surreptitiously is one done with the intention of secrecy, but the action is not necessarily a bad one.

Thank you.
Another word: clandestine.
clandestine intelligence operations
Is it usually positive? Or neutral?
contrex

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:28 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Another word: clandestine.
clandestine intelligence operations
Is it usually positive? Or neutral?

Usually negative; it means "kept secret or done secretively, especially because illicit".
0 Replies