Japanese

littlek

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:47 pm
welcome back to the states.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:48 pm
'Tis my first time living here, actually. Wink And thanks!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:54 pm
hahaha, well then, I take back the 'back'.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 05:42 am
Of course I meant 'wakarimasu.' Fast fingers and slow brain is my only excuse. Besides, I am in no sense fluent in Japanese, just know some of the essential words and expressions. Gomen nasai.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 07:42 am
Wow, this thread took off after I went to sleep! Smile

"ashita" (明日) means 'tomorrow', as Monger mentioned. The characters literally mean "bright day/sun", and they are not used phonetically, so you can't pronounce each individual character in the compound; they are pronounced as a unit.

Verbs

present polite ending = -masu
past polite ending = -mashita

examples:

'go' = ikimasu; 'went' = ikimashita
'do' = shimasu; 'did' = shimashita
'eat' = tabemasu; 'ate' = tabemashita

As I mentioned in my last post, the tense you choose in Japanese doesn't always match the one you'd use in English! So saying "wakarimasu" instead of "wakarimashita" is a definite sign of a foreigner! Shocked

Names

'Yamashita' (山下)literally means 'under/below/bottom of the mountain', but it really means 'at the foot of the mountain'. A lot of Japanese family names are geographic in nature, so you can imagine why Yamashita is such a common surname. That's where a lot of people live!

Other common names:
Suzuki (鈴木)= literally "bell tree"
Yamada (山田)= "mountain field"
Satoh (佐藤) = literally "help wisteria", used phonetically

And my wife's family name (and also the name of a prefecture in Japan) is
Yamanashi (山梨) = "mountain pear"

If you ever see Japanese pears ("nashi") in the grocery store, try one! They're delicious.

Characters

For anyone interested, here are some basic characters:

山 - yama - mountain
人 - hito - person
田 - ta/da - field
川 - kawa - river
力 - chikara - power
男 - otoko - man (notice it's a combination of 田 and 力)
女 - onna - woman
日 - hi - day/sun (you can call the sun o-hi-sama, literally "honorable sun")
月 - tsuki - moon

And if you ever watch anime and have seen Ultimate Muscle, or Kinnikuman, or what ever it's called, Kid Muscle has a glowing character on his forehead 肉, that literally means "meat", but is part of the compound kinniku 筋肉 ("tendon meat") which means "muscle".
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:43 am
aaaw, can't see the characters! I like that character , "meat", sounds like a good tattoo.
0 Replies

mezzie

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:47 am
If you can't see the characters and you're using IE, you can right click on the text, choose "encode" and then try one of the Japanese options (there are usually 3). It might ask if you want to download the language pack (Win 2000), or you might already have it (Windows XP). It takes about 30 seconds to download.

If you're using Mozilla Firefox or Mozilla, or Netscape, you can go to "View"-"character coding", and then choose a Japanese option.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:58 am
I need to insert a disc..... I'll figure it out later..... thanks mezzie!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:59 am
Now, I know where your avatar is from! Spirited Away! I loved that character!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:42 pm
Wanna know where I picked up some of the Japanese phrases I know? Well, I'll tell you anyway. Reading James Clavell's Shogun years ago, that's where. I picked up some basic Tex/Mex Spanish watching the Cisco Kid on TV. It's amazing how much you can learn if you pay attention! I'll not forget the difference between -masu and -mashita in the future.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 02:43 pm
MA, I used to have a autographed copy of Shogun until I lent it to my brother-in-law. ;(
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:32 am
What will be the best way of learning Japanese?

I will really like to learn it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:35 am
Look at this thread http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25167&highlight= and take mezzie's advice. He's my brother, by the way.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 12:11 pm
Cool, thank you Cav!
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 06:59 pm
hey hey hey... i took a year of japanese in college and i'd like to learn more... unfortunately, it's hard to do with work and all... any suggestions? anyone know of any good japanese story books for children? hahaha.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 07:11 pm
USAFHokie, Welcome to A2K. I knew several good Japanese story books for children, but they disappeared from my brain. I'll post again if I remember, but I'm sure some of the others can name some for you.
0 Replies