The oPhone is coming...

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 11:54 am
Quote:
Text a smell: 'oPhone' brings aromatic messaging to your iPhone--seriously

A Harvard professor has invented a device that will allow users to send smells via mobile messaging. It's not a hoax.

The "oPhone" by Vapor Communications will allow users to mix and match different scents to create more than
300,000 unique aromas to send via mobile message.

Harvard engineering professor David Edwards invented the device, along with a free app for oPhone users called
"oSnap". oSnap, available on iTunes, lets users take photos, add text, program an accompanying scent, then combine
all three to send what the company calls an "oNote."

The device is designed to sit on a table or desk, and uses small cartridges called oChips ("o" for olfactory) to send
32 "primitive aromas" through the device's two receivers. These oChips are good for hundreds of uses, and can be
replaced, like printer cartriges, when the aroma gets used up.

The oPhone will be available for pre-order for $149 starting Tuesday, June 17 to anyone who donates to the device's
Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign. The oPhone will cost $199 at the consumer launch, expected next year.

So why would you want to send a smell?

"Scent is the world's natural tweet, because it takes just a few seconds to get a scent," Edwards told Fast Company.
"The notion of people saying, 'I miss you in New York,' by sending a scent is really interesting and powerful. Or imagine
taking a scent selfie and posting it on Facebook."

Edwards recently sent a scent from the American Museum of Natural History in New York City across the Atlantic
Ocean to a colleague in Paris, France.

http://imgick.syracuse.com/home/syr-media/width620/img/news/photo/2014/06/15221133-mmmain.jpg
(source)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 654 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Buttermilk

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 12:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
I wonder how this would work when people break up over text
jespah

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 01:59 pm
@Buttermilk,
I predict garlic and bean sales will skyrocket.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 03:22 pm
I think the concept stinks.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 08:36 am
@jespah,
LOL
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 09:47 am
@Region Philbis,
I hope no-one phones me from the toilet.

I remember partaking in a "smellyvision" TV experiment once, where a big scratchcard with multiple numbered scratch areas was supplied by a TV Magazine, to be used during a forthcoming TV Show.
It was the weird comedy 'couple' from America.....I think 'she' was a transvestite who carried a poodle everywhere, and the man had slick back hair and a pencil thin moustache. Hardly known over here, but probably mega famous over there in the 90's.
Anyway, programme started and as the story unfolded, it would pause at relevant stages whereupon the scratch area number would flash on the screen.
Everything went well until a scene where the teenage boy held out a bunch of flowers for his mum. My sis in law had the card at that time (we were taking it in turns), and, as she looked down to locate the relevant number "sniff" patch, the boy on the screen put the flowers behind his back and produced a pair of smelly Nike trainers with the other hand....the timing was brilliant.
My French sis in law expected a flower smell, and was nearly knocked out when she took a sniff.

Hilarious!
0 Replies