i found some bones

clarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:09 am
hi found some human bones but would like some help trying to date em.they were found in a layer aprox between3 -4ft down below present ground level.Im in central france and the soil is slightly acidic ,loamy sandy type with the massive centrale not far away.Ive found loads of aprox 10 teeth and so far 2 jawbones the rest of the bones are just a crumbly flakey consistancy.Am i right in asssuming these could be as recent as the 2nd world war? any answers appreciated

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:16 am
@clarin,
I believe legally you are required to contact law enforcement when finding human remains as you could possibly be messing around with a possible crime scene.
0 Replies

clarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:30 am
hi there ,thanks for that,have thought of tht as im digging some drainage and could do with the extra help lol!..in all seriousness there seems to be many individuals here ,all ages and spread over quite a large area,im tending to believe it was an old chapel or at least some sort of buriel ground as they seem scattered around. I have since reburied all the bone ive found
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:39 am
If you are near the central massif, these remains are not likely to be from the Second World War. Patch's Seventh Army (U.S.) drove the Germans back pretty quickly until they approached the upper Rhine. Patton's Third Army (U.S.) was making 30 miles or more a day--as with Patch's army, the Germans fell back very quickly until they approached the Rhine. I seriously doubt that you've found any remains from that war.
clarin

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:53 am
hi thanks for tht answer.Have you heard of Oradour sur glane?..the nazis done some horrible things near here when they relised they were beat here during the war!like i say there seems to all ages here ,judgeing by the teeth from infants upwards.The reason im reluctant to call the local enforcement is that ive resently heard of a case of a lady nearby in the same sort of position ,where upon she rang the authoritys and the subsiquent "search etc" actually cost her a little over 5000 euros!!!
Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 11:00 am
@clarin,
It could, of course, be such a burial. I think you should report this to responsible authority, but i can see your point, and, of course, it's your decision, not mine.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 08:00 pm
@Setanta,
ANY remains found should be lleft undisturbed because more than half the site forensics is in the surrounds of where the bones were and how they got there.

What if you died and weren't found till many years later and some person just decided to go on a "make believe archeological dig"?
If this were in US, there are several fed and state llaws governing such discoveries.
You should hve some respect and also be concerned about your own health with such things as toxins and long lived phage virus,or bacterial and rickettsial diseases that can be retained in skeletal remains. (Suppose its someone who died from the Spanish flu and you are of a target age, you could develop a sickness and be killed by your own immune system). Or , what if its ebola or some other recent import?

If the soil is acidic and the bones are in fairly good condition, they are probably relatively recent and someone skilled in forensics should do fluorine uptake testing with Xray fluorescence to look at the matrix and the possible age dating (for recent bones only), then a careful exam of the bones is in order by someone whose got the training and experience in dentistry and osteo/ anthropology .
If the bones are initially seen to be older than Flourine dating is valid (about 150 years in acid soils) (and that takes some expert forensics), then other dating techniques would be done but ONLY if the bones aren't moved about and the matrix/soil/bone are preserved in -situ. So if it IS WWII stuff, its a historical site that should be investigated and reburial can occur with dignity and honor to the deceased.

I wouldn't **** with this because you don't sound like youre trained (also, because you've posted this, you cant claim plausible deniability-you've already tipped off anyone that youre "planning" to screw with an antiquity, a missing prson, or even crime scene).

If you are under some pressure to get a construction job done on a schedule and don't report the finding, here in the US you could be guilty of a felony by antiquities or even criminalistics laws. But if you do report it, you are protected from any contractual cross claims by "force majeur"

Have a nice day.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 08:14 pm
@clarin,
Sometimes doing whats right doesn't result in doing whats best for you.

Is this your property?(if it is)
Do you have a blanket insurance policy for your property and activities thereon?

We may be able to conjur up some ideas to help you from going bust over some really inane laws.
0 Replies

nurein

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 04:10 am
I think you should call out the cops to investigate about it.
0 Replies

clarin

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 04:23 am
thanks for all the answers guys ,turns out there pig bones..the "teeth" are just old splintered bone.
0 Replies