Looking or not . . . what's your idea of romance?

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 05:49 pm
I'm not actively looking now, I think because the process has been unsuccessful lately.

Ten years ago, when I was doing the traditional personals obsessively, I thought Mr. Right would ask me to meet at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts for lunch. When a psychiatrist invited me to meet him there, I was thrilled. Needless, to say, the meeting did not live up to expectations.

I had a thought that this time, Mr. Right would ask to meet on a Friday, after work, at the bar at the Ritz-Carlton. Sigh. Couple of coffee shop meetings. Including one man who said, "I'm prepared to go home with you tonight. I brought my tooth brush." Although he had made a favorable impression, I has begun to feel he was a bit daft.

What would be a romantic first meeting with someone you've met, say through the personals, emailed and telephone chatted with and are beginning to like but haven't seen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,977 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:40 am
Romance? At my age, I'm pretty sure that Romance (in any extended fashion) and Real Life are incompatable.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:51 am
When RP and I met for the first time (it was through his personal ad), we kissed. It was at the Long Island Rail Road train station - I was picking him up at Mineola. We went to dinner later that evening at an Italian place. Neither of us can remember the name of it. And we've been together ever since. That was, eek, Dec. 18, 1988.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:53 am
I think the romance has to do with the connection between the people, not the location or the activity.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:36 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Romance? At my age, I'm pretty sure that Romance (in any extended fashion) and Real Life are incompatable.

Oh, cut it out, Noddy! Romance and Love are not limited by age!

A great lady I knew lost her long-time husband after 50+ years of marriage. In her late 70s, she reconnected with a mutual friend of theirs who had just lost his wife. The two of them felt and acted like teenagers for two years before marrying. They continued holding hands and sneaking love notes into each other's pockets until she died at the age of 84.

This is not the only couple I know of to be surprised by love later in life. As long as your heart is beating, it is capable of falling in love. Sometimes, just when you think your life is permanently settled, Love sneaks in. You just never know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:42 am
there's that song
about Dys and Diane

Romance never ends.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 11:04 am
Eva--

This week, I'm jaundiced. Perhaps I'll be jaundiced next week as well--or just pea green with envy.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 12:10 pm
Noddy -- After my mother died, my father was lost for nearly a year. He would go anywhere, including a church rummage sale which is where he ran into a woman who had invited him to her senior prom so many years before. She had been a widow for three years and just the day before had remarked that she wanted to date again but didn't know how to begin. They were married seven months later.

The mother of the woman my daughter worked for when she was an au pair in France was a diabetic. Although a young man fell in love with her back in the late 30s, her family discouraged her from marrying as they thought she wouldn't live long. The young man went off to war. After the war, another young man took a fancy to her and her family said that she might as well marry as she had survived. They divorced after having two daughters. When the daughters were grown, the woman returned to her home town and thought about her original sweetheart. She wondered whether he was alive and started out by looking in the phone book. His name was there. She called him and they married shortly thereafter.
0 Replies

samantha n angie

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 01:33 pm
I like suprises. Small ones, big ones - it doesn't matter. I love it when my man has made the effort and thought through the details just to see me smile. Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:11 am
samantha,
I agree with you on surprises. Even very small ones, like, "I was in the grocery store and bought this particular food that I know you love." A surprise needn't be elaborate.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 12:13 pm
Quote:
It was at the Long Island Rail Road train station - I was picking him up at Mineola.

Jes- It just HAD to be true love. Mineola is definitely not a romantic place, like Paris or Acapulco! Laughing
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 12:26 pm
Re: Looking or not . . . what's your idea of romance?
plainoldme wrote:

What would be a romantic first meeting with someone you've met, say through the personals, emailed and telephone chatted with and are beginning to like but haven't seen?

The 'family room' at BWI Airport. Seriously.
0 Replies

samantha n angie

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:22 pm
plainoldme wrote:
samantha,
I agree with you on surprises. Even very small ones, like, "I was in the grocery store and bought this particular food that I know you love." A surprise needn't be elaborate.

The best! :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:37 pm
Re: Looking or not . . . what's your idea of romance?
plainoldme wrote:
Hands down, a drink at an upscale bar (preferably part of a fine restaurant). Movies are out because they're lousy for communication. You don't want to be stuck at dinner with someone who may turn you off the instant you meet. Drinks are best. It leaves you your option of saying:
1. I have to get going, I'm meeting some friends for dinner... It was great meeting you.
2. I'm getting kinda hungry, are you free for dinner?

(or for you cheap chicks) 3. I have to get going... I don't want to drink too much on an empty stomach...(silence!) :wink:
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:14 pm
ok I am 22 and I know I haven't been dating long but guys don't know romance in massachusetts. I have no hope! I worked at a battered womens counseling center and now I know the name of every batterer in town... I have no prospects... all the guys here have been in jail for beating up their wives or girlfriends. unfortunately I will hvae to move very far away from here. any time I go out to meet guys I see the same guys I saw at a restraining order hearing that afternoon!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:53 am
Then hang out elsewhere, aimeemarie. Sorry if that sounds flip, but the fact of the matter is, just like you wouldn't look for a supermarket job while in a factory, you don't go looking for nice guys anywhere near where the not-so-nice guys hang out.

What do you like to do with your spare time? Ride a bike? Visit museums? Go sailing? Wine tasting? Work out? All of these are places where you can meet men (yes, even sailing; not on the high seas, but you can meet people at classes). Find something you like and do it. Unless it involves sitting alone in your room, you'll have an opportunity to meet people, and of course it's your opportunity to seize or not to seize, as you wish.
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:00 am
true as you are but when you are from as small a town as I am, it is really hard to "find" people at different places or activities. unless Iwant to go to BINGO with my gram... there isn't a whole hell of a lot to do here. last time I even heard of a wine tasting was before I could drink legally. I know my only real option is to get out of this place, but that is really hard I don't want to leave my family.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:08 am
Where in MA are you aimeemarie? (Not specifically but in general terms)
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:20 am
well fishin' I am from
Berkshire county Western massachusetts, a small college town.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:27 am
Ah! So you are waaaaay out there! Wink lol

Maybe an occassional trip into Albany would be helpful? Sometimes you just have a go to where the people you are interested in are instead of looking in your own back yard (so to speak).

I'll have to think on it a bit and see if any bright ideas pop up for ya. No one should be subjected to bingo with grandma. Smile
0 Replies