As A Wise Man, Umm, Guy, Once Said

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 03:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The best monarchical system of which i know was that of the West Saxons in 8th, 9th and 10th centuries.
I'm always surprised that they 'created' kingdoms there - their uncles and cousins here were opposed to such.
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 05:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah, that was odd. Maybe it was from the exposure to the British with their Princes, and the Franks with their Kings. According to Tacitus, in Germania, the tribes didn't have much use for kings.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 07:58 am
@Setanta,
They didn't have kings but a kind of 'chief'.

In my region (Westphalia) we had had between 300 and 800 a kind of multi-cultural countryside: Franks, Saxons, plus Frisians, Thuringians and Goths.
All lived more or less peaceful side on side (with changing majorities between the Franks and Saxons).

Tombs/grave fields show that quite a few "princes" were here.

With the dominance of the Franks of the Franks after 800, indeed a lot changed which can be seen even today: the land use and the borders of towns/cities (following parish boundaries)

One of the largest territories of a Frankish earl was that of the Earl of Werl (later named Earl of Arnsberg): stretching from south of the Ruhr river to the German Sea.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps42c5d8f1.jpg
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 08:34 am
@RABEL222,
Or if you go to Rabel's house you find one of those same pricks there. A really ugly American who supports war criminals and terrorists, baby killers, rapists, thieves, ... .
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The Aragon bit is sort of implied when you write "Ferdinand II and Isabella." Smile

Besides, wasn't your Ferdinand II Austrian?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

And perhaps some know at least one the Georges of Great Britain. (The elector of Hannover was King George III .)

Well, that was the originating premise of Olivier.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:32 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
There wasn't a "Germany" before 1871 when you look at it very narrowly.
Ferdinand II was the Holy Roman Emperor. He was Duke of Inner Austria at first, then additionally King of Bohemia, King of Hungary and Croatia and the last title he got was Archduke of Austria.

The Austrian Empire was created in 1804, but still part of the German Confederation until 1806.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:34 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

And perhaps some know at least one the Georges of Great Britain. (The elector of Hannover was King George III .)

Well, that was the originating premise of Olivier.

I know. I just wanted to name another German monarch known by Americans Wink
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Didn't George III take steps to disassociate himself from his German heritage or am I thinking of another British king?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 09:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
To use the American-style terminology: Ferdinand was an ethnic Swiss. Very Happy ( Count Radbot of Klettgau in "Switzerland", who chose to name his fortress Habsburg, was the first to take the name "Habsburg".)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Didn't George III take steps to disassociate himself from his German heritage or am I thinking of another British king?
I don't know - in Hannover his memorial plaque at the dynasty's mausoleum says that he is buried in England and gives as his titles Duke and Prince-Elector of Brunswick-Lüneburg, King of Hannover, King of Great Britain. (I'll be there again in two weeks, since there's a special exhibition about the Hanoverians on Britain’s Throne
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The border-stone (1785) between the Kingdom of Hannover/Brunswick-Lüneburg and a Prussian enclave not far away from us
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps4d037c8d.jpg
G R 3 = Georg III. Rex

Backsite
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps2457d826.jpg
F W R = Friedrich Wilhelm Rex
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
George III is another monarch, like Henry V, known as the English king, because he didn't speak with a German accent. He didn't get it quite right though, the phrase 'By Gad,' is associated with him because he ,allegedly, couldn't pronounce 'God.'
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:32 am
@izzythepush,
At least that doesn't seem to be connected with his German ethnicity
German: Gott /ɡɔt/
English: God /ɡɒd/
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:47 am
I wonder where the "you're off topic" police are? They must be busy elsewhere.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 07:21 pm
@JTT,
Does insanity run in your family or are you the only one affected by it?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 08:46 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
In other words, he wasn't German. Wink
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 11:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
In other words, he wasn't German. Wink
Such conclusion would minimise the German ethnicity in the USA dramatically: only those, who immigrated after 1871 could be of German origin.
roger

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2014 11:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Le'me think about that awhile.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 03:14 am
I think Finn is confused by the Austrian ancestry of King Carlos, who became the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V (bribery is a wonderful thing--the German electors didn't make that mistake twice). The daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella, Juana la loca (Crazy Joan), married Philip the Fair, son of the HRE and Mary of Burgundy. Philip was more or less "Austrian," and so his son Carlos was a Habsburg, and therefore eligible to bribe the beJesus out of the German electors in order to become HRE. In all respects, though, Carlos was a fanatical Spanish Catholic.