Beheaded Man's Father Blames US Military

Deecups36

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:28 pm
the Democrats have used every difficulty and tragedy to garner political advantage. phoenix

LOL!!!

I guess when images of your hero, George Bush, standing in the ruins of the World Trade Center, are used to raise money, that's different.

These rightwing-jobs are beyond reason!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:33 pm
How about the 2004 Republican Convention being held in NYC just about in time for 9-11, three years later? No politicizing there. No sir...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:40 pm
Was Berg in U.S. Custody?
by TChris

Once again, the credibility of the Bush administration has been questioned. The family of Nicholas Berg insists that he had been had been held by U.S. authorities in Iraq, causing him to miss his scheduled departure. Berg was captured shortly after his release. He was later beheaded.

U.S. officials admit that Berg was visited by the FBI while being held by the Iraqi police, but deny tht he was ever held by U.S. forces.

A State Department official in Washington told the Associated Press that Berg had turned down an invitation to fly out of Iraq. Spokeswoman Kelly Shannon said that a few days after he was released by Iraqi police, Berg spoke to a U.S. consular officer, who offered him a chance to fly back to the United States. "He told the consular officer that he planned to travel over land to Kuwait and would call the family from there," Shannon said

Berg's family sees it differently. They say Berg was taken into custody by Iraqi police on March 24 and that U.S. officials eventually took custody of him. Berg was detained for 13 days, causing him to miss his scheduled March 30 departure. On April 5, Berg's family filed a federal lawsuit seeking his release. Berg was released on April 6, and his family last heard from him April 9. (Helpful timeline here.)
-----------
I'd like to know the truth.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:42 pm
This is really silly.

Americans tortured inmates at the Jail. Those involved with it, however high up it reaches, are responsible.

Murderers beheaded a civilian telephone repairman. Regardless of their motive, they, and they alone are responsible. NOT THEIR ENEMY.

If Jodie Foster weren't so hot, Ronald Reagan wouldn't have been shot.
If a murderer's motive is to blame, Jodie and Hinckley should share the blame.
I hope by now, my point is clear, because if it's not you'll continue your smear.
Not that it matters to those with a brain, because blaming Bush is quite insane.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:43 pm
hi D'artagnan- Thank you. That's my point entirely and I won't sit by and allow the likes of phoenix to warp the facts favoring the GOP and get away with it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:45 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

If Jodie Foster weren't so hot, Ronald Reagan wouldn't have been shot.
If a murderer's motive is to blame, Jodie and Hinckley should share the blame.
I hope by now, my point is clear, because if it's not you'll continue your smear.
Not that it matters to those with a brain, because blaming Bush is quite insane.

I'm not sure how seriously to take this, Bill. I'm guessing not very. I saw your comments on Andrew Hacker on another thread; I believe you called him an idiot. I happen to have met Hacker some years ago, and I've read a lot of what he's written. He's actually very smart.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:51 pm
D'artagnan- OCCOMBILL said Andrew Hacker is an idiot?

Andrew Hacker

Dr. Andrew Hacker is a professor of political science at Queens College in New York City. Before joining the Queens' faculty, he taught government at Cornell University. His writings include studies in political philosophy and statistical research. He has written extensively for scholarly journals and is the author of numerous books, including Two Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal, The End of the American Era and The United States: A Statistical Portrait of the American People. He is also a prolific contributor to The New York Review of Books, The New York Times and several other leading publications.

Maybe it was all those big words that frustrated OCCOMBILL? Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:53 pm
D'artagnan, I was having fun with the poetry. I'm obviously no poet. I do think the point is pretty clear though.

As for agreeing with another poster that Hacker is an idiot; that was a direct response to a specific statement of Hacker's that I found idiotic. I'm really in no position to judge the man himself, since I know little of him. Please consider the criticism in regards to that statement only. My bad.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:56 pm
OK, Bill, no problem. No harm, no foul.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:04 pm
Daniel Pipes got sum edjumacation, too. I guess we'll believe everything he has to say, as well.

Daniel Pipes is the founder and director of the Middle East Forum, a board member of the U.S. Institute of Peace and former vice chairman of the Fulbright Board of Foreign Scholarships. He has published articles the Atlantic Monthly, Commentary, Foreign Affairs, Harper's, National Review, New Republic, and The Weekly Standard. He writes columns for the New York Sun and The Jerusalem Post. He frequently appears as a subject matter expert (Islam and the Muslim world) on ABC World News, CBS Reports, Crossfire, Good Morning America, NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, Nightline, O'Reilly Factor, and The Today Show.

As of 2004, Pipes is part of the "Special Task Force on Terrorism and Technology" at the Department of Defense.

Pipes is the author of twelve books.

Education
Pipes, the son of Conservative Harvard historian Richard Pipes, earned an A.B. (1971) and Ph.D. (1978) from Harvard, specializing in medieval Islamic history. Following his, doctorate, Pipes spent six years in post-graduate studies outside the United States. Three of these years were in Egypt, where his activites included writing a book on colloquial Egyptian Arabic published in 1983. He has been awarded a number of honorary Doctorates from universities in Switzerland and the United States. Pipes has taught at the University of Chicago, Harvard University, and the U.S. Naval War College.

Predictions
Daniel Pipes is claimed to have been one of the few analysts who wrote extensively regarding the threat of Islamic militancy as early as 1995 when he wrote: Unnoticed by most Westerners, war has been unilaterally declared on Europe and the United States. National Interest Fall 1995 issue.
-------------
Whether or not Hacker is an idiot, or highly respected doesn't seem to be completely owing to his education, considering Pipes' inglorious mentions in these pages.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:08 pm
Quote:
I guess when images of your hero, George Bush, standing in the ruins of the World Trade Center, are used to raise money, that's different.

Deecups- #1 - He is NOT my hero. I would have much preferred a better contender to run against him, but unfortunately, Kerry was the best that the Democrats had to offer. Too bad. I would have preferred a strong conservative Democrat to Bush any day.

#2- I think that the pics of Bush posing in front of the WTC was pretty tacky!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:14 pm
Sofia wrote:
Daniel Pipes got sum edjumacation, too. I guess we'll believe everything he has to say, as well.

Daniel Pipes is the founder and director of the Middle East Forum, a board member of the U.S. Institute of Peace and former vice chairman of the Fulbright Board of Foreign Scholarships. He has published articles the Atlantic Monthly, Commentary, Foreign Affairs, Harper's, National Review, New Republic, and The Weekly Standard. He writes columns for the New York Sun and The Jerusalem Post. He frequently appears as a subject matter expert (Islam and the Muslim world) on ABC World News, CBS Reports, Crossfire, Good Morning America, NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, Nightline, O'Reilly Factor, and The Today Show.

As of 2004, Pipes is part of the "Special Task Force on Terrorism and Technology" at the Department of Defense.

Pipes is the author of twelve books.

Education
Pipes, the son of Conservative Harvard historian Richard Pipes, earned an A.B. (1971) and Ph.D. (1978) from Harvard, specializing in medieval Islamic history. Following his, doctorate, Pipes spent six years in post-graduate studies outside the United States. Three of these years were in Egypt, where his activites included writing a book on colloquial Egyptian Arabic published in 1983. He has been awarded a number of honorary Doctorates from universities in Switzerland and the United States. Pipes has taught at the University of Chicago, Harvard University, and the U.S. Naval War College.

Predictions
Daniel Pipes is claimed to have been one of the few analysts who wrote extensively regarding the threat of Islamic militancy as early as 1995 when he wrote: Unnoticed by most Westerners, war has been unilaterally declared on Europe and the United States. National Interest Fall 1995 issue.
-------------
Whether or not Hacker is an idiot, or highly respected doesn't seem to be completely owing to his education, considering Pipes' inglorious mentions in these pages.

I am confounded as to relevance. Please enlighten Question
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:18 pm
Phoenix, how about Jim Inhofe's political grandstanding in a Senate Committee meeting - please don't paint with such a broad, partisan brush.....

The Republican's too
Quote:
have used every difficulty and tragedy to garner political advantage.[/qoute]

In the end, we know what Bush represents and it is ANYBODY BUT BUSH!!!!!!!! We need to save the world.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:18 pm
Someone refuted another's statement that Hacker is an idiot by posting his resume.

Pipes (and plenty of others) have been discussed here in similar terms as Hacker. They have impressive resumes.

I just thought that was a weird method of proving someone isn't an idiot.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:19 pm
Sofia, One was specific, and apologized for - yours is nonspecific and broad brushed.....

Do we really want to go there Question I can unload about 1000 pages worth, if so.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:38 pm
And a fine job you did Sofia. I retracted my accusation that the man was an idiot for the same reason I don't refer to fellow A2Kers as idiots; courtesy. The man's statement was all I had meant to call idiotic, and idiotic it was... though WAY off-topic here. Back to the topic. Until someone provides evidence that Bush was in any way an accomplice to the beheading, I will continue to consider suggestions he's responsible for it idiotic as well.

I don't believe Phoenix is any more a republican than I am. If memory serves, neither of us voted Republican in the last two elections. She is simply a non-ABB, which lately on A2K seems to be translated to mean Neo-Con.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:38 pm
Bill--

Deecups36 wrote:
D'artagnan- OCCOMBILL said Andrew Hacker is an idiot?

Andrew Hacker

Dr. Andrew Hacker is a professor of political science at Queens College in New York City. Before joining the Queens' faculty, he taught government at Cornell University. His writings include studies in political philosophy and statistical research. He has written extensively for scholarly journals and is the author of numerous books, including Two Nations: Black and White, Separate, Hostile, Unequal, The End of the American Era and The United States: A Statistical Portrait of the American People. He is also a prolific contributor to The New York Review of Books, The New York Times and several other leading publications.

Maybe it was all those big words that frustrated OCCOMBILL? Laughing

I was referring to this post, and making the statement that one's resume doesn't necessarily authenticate their idiocy, or lack thereof.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:45 pm
Bill- In the last election I voted for Gore. I wasn't enamoured of him, but I thought that he would be better than Bush. Before that, I voted for Clinton.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:52 pm
I heard many Iraqi's condemn this act today. Ot made me proud that we are liberating them from clutches of madmen.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:54 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Bill- In the last election I voted for Gore. I wasn't enamoured of him, but I thought that he would be better than Bush. Before that, I voted for Clinton.
See there, memory served. I remembered your record in Craven's questionaire a while back. I bet Deecups36 is shocked by my lack of frustration. :wink: For the record: I haven't voted Republican since 1988, so I get a little tired of people painting me as a Bush lover too. Of course; I've never voted Democrat, so I can't argue I don't stand a bit to the right... which is probably why I'm usually right. :wink:
0 Replies