Beheaded Man's Father Blames US Military

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:43 pm
I think it is important to state the fact of Berg's captivity.

The US forces weren't holding him--the Iraqi police were.

He was never in our custody. When Berg's father discovered this--he dropped the suit.

Berg was there, trying to make money helping get the phone lines and telecommunications back up. He took a risk, as many others are doing. It was a bold move by a young man. What happened to him was the fault of those who cut his head off.

The Iraqis were detaining him to make sure he had no connections with AQ--so their statement said.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:44 pm
I'm sure the famous 7 guards at Abu Gharib are planted Democrats also.

Then again, shouldn't one admire the Democrats for sacrificing their sons and daughters in the name of the cause Question
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:46 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
What "absurd lengths" are the Democrats going to as evidenced in this story? The parents were put up to saying what they did by the Democrats?
No, the author of this thread purposely highlighted sections of the article in a feeble attempt to lend credence to the Parent's irrational response.

Attributing this brutal civilian murder to Bush is absurd.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:47 pm
Sofia wrote:
I think it is important to state the fact of Berg's captivity.

The US forces weren't holding him--the Iraqi police were.

He was never in our custody. When Berg's father discovered this--he dropped the suit.

Berg was there, trying to make money helping get the phone lines and telecommunications back up. He took a risk, as many others are doing. It was a bold move by a young man. What happened to him was the fault of those who cut his head off.

The Iraqis were detaining him to make sure he had no connections with AQ--so their statement said.

Quote:
But unanswered questions remained about Berg in the days before he vanished, as well as where and when he was abducted.

Berg, who was Jewish, spoke to his parents March 24 and told them he would return home on March 30, according to his family in suburban Philadelphia.

But Berg was detained by Iraqi police at a checkpoint in Mosul on March 24, was turned over to U.S. officials and detained for 13 days, the family said. His father, Michael, said his son was not allowed to make phone calls or contact a lawyer.

Coalition spokesman Dan Senor told reporters that Berg was detained by Iraqi police in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul. The Iraqis informed the Americans, and the FBI questioned him three times about what he was doing in Iraq.

Senor said that to his knowledge Berg 'was at no time under the jurisdiction or detention of coalition forces.'

Michael Berg told The Associated Press, however, that U.S. officials were 'playing word games.'

'The Iraqi police do not tell the FBI what to do. The FBI tells the Iraqi police what to do. Who do they think they're kidding?' the elder Berg said.
SOURCE
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:50 pm
Quote:
"Berg's family and the coalition force in Iraq disputed the circumstances of the independent businessman's final days in Iraq, with coalition spokesman Dan Senor denying the family's claim that he had been held by U.S. forces.

"To the best of my knowledge, he was at no time under the jurisdiction or detention of coalition forces," Senor said Wednesday at a news conference in Baghdad.

This is simply military speak for finding a spokesman with deniable plausibility the opportunity to say "To the best of my knowledge" - which gives them months (maybe even after Nov 2nd) to come out with the truth.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:52 pm
If we are handing the reins over to the Iraqis, surely it isn't hard to believe that we left the decision of Berg's release up to the Iraqis.

The father's opinion on who made the final call, at this point, is just one man's opinion.

The article shows who detained him. Wonder how long after the FBI interviews, was Berg released?

He wasn't detained by the US.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:56 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Attributing this brutal civilian murder to Bush is absurd.

As Colin said - this is the Bush War!
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:58 pm
The Democratic party, and their adherents, so want to reclaim power that they will go to absurd lengths to attempt to achieve their goals. Reason and logic has nothing to do with it! phoenix

Phoenix is right about one thing: reason and logic has nothing to do with it. But the "it" is her post.

This may actually best Rush Limbaugh for offensive and ridiculous remarks of late.

So now, the Democrats are responsible (by implication, honey) for Berg's beheading?

Phoenix sweetie, you've really hit a new low.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:59 pm
Sofia wrote:

Please back this direct statement up with a source - thanks! If it is what we have noted above - please do not make it a direct statement, it is not a fact when someone says, "To the best of my knowledge"

The father says the son told him directly that he was - that is the only fact we know and therefore the only truth Exclamation
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:01 pm
In my previous post I gave six options for who to blame. I like all of the above. Now it's time to make political hay out of brutality and murder. What a country.

Sam
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:04 pm
Sam, how about a seventh - It was meant to be.....

Oh, excuse me, that absolves blame.

What a country........
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:05 pm
Yup!

Sam
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:10 pm
I heard it somewhere recently that Americas are bound by blame; ie, a blame based society. Arabs are bound by shame; therefore, why what they were doing to the prisoners was so effective (BTW, a action that shows the decision came from above).

Seems this action by them has become pretty effective -

The Whiteman called the Indian barbarians, the Whiteman called the Japanese barbarians, the Whiteman called the Blackman barbarians, the Whiteman is calling the Arabs barbarian - <sigh>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:12 pm
Quote:
So now, the Democrats are responsible (by implication, honey) for Berg's beheading?

Phoenix sweetie, you've really hit a new low.

Deecups- Wow, what a spin you have put on my words. Where did I say that the Democrats were responsible for the beheading? That is absolutely ridiculous. What I referred to is that instead of attempting to reasonably sort out what has been going on, the Democrats have used every difficulty and tragedy to garner political advantage.

Deecups- Please don't put words into my mouth!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:13 pm
Just who are these Democrats who are doing these awful things? Seems as though Sen. McCain is one of the more outspoken politicians right now.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:14 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
But it is ridiculous to quote him as if his loss somehow makes his absurd rationalization correct.

Bill- We have an internal war going on right here in the United States. The Democratic party, and their adherents, so want to reclaim power that they will go to absurd lengths to attempt to achieve their goals. Reason and logic has nothing to do with it!

Speaks for itself........
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:19 pm
Democrats, Republicans as far as I"m concerned there is not much difference. Changing administrations is like rearranging the deck furniture on the Titanic. Use a sad, tragic death for political profit, the protosimian pond scum.
There I said it.

Sam
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:19 pm
BillW wrote:
Sofia wrote:

Please back this direct statement up with a source - thanks! If it is what we have noted above - please do not make it a direct statement, it is not a fact when someone says, "To the best of my knowledge"

The father says the son told him directly that he was - that is the only fact we know and therefore the only truth Exclamation

My mistake. I meant he wasn't 'arrested' or 'taken prisoner' by the US. I mistakenly thought "Detained" was the act of 'taking prisoner', but I see it can just be 'held'. I still don't know if he was relocated under US detention, but I wanted to clarify.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:24 pm
He wasn't detained by the US. sofia

The article says,

"He (Berg) was later passed to the US military, who finally freed him after his parents sued the federal government for his release on April 5.

Mr Berg said his son had been held without a lawyer and was not allowed to make telephone calls."

I guess you didn't bother reading it. Held, detained -- call it what you will, but it's all the same.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:26 pm
13 days without a lawyer, without a phone call and being released alone in a hostile setting (during his detention the atmosphere in Iraq had gone from bad to worst) is criminal. He was an American and detained beyond his Civil Rights. I think it is even criminal - this was the cause of his death. He was detained by the Americans and I believe this will be proved - This is the Bush War and he is responsible for every death................
0 Replies