Some D-Day pictures.

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 12:56 pm
Here are some interesting pictures of D-Day (and surrounding days) that you may not have seen before. A cousin of mine sent me the link.

By tapping on the pictures...you can see the same spot today.

Interesting stuff.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/ng-interactive/2014/jun/01/d-day-landings-scenes-in-1944-and-now-interactive?CMP=twt_gu
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,201 • Replies: 7
No top replies

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 01:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, this is amazing. Thanks.

What I was struck by was how much had changed.....and how much had stayed exactly the same.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 01:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
These are very clever, Frank.

At Arromanches, where the Mulberry harbour is, they have a wrap round cinema high up on the cliff, where you go inside and watch a moving version of this idea.
An old black and white film taken from a tank driving down a Normandy High Street, rubble, destruction, loads of women throwing flowers....then suddenly the film changes to modern colour and you're continuing the exact same journey in the modern day, and there's a street market and people sitting outside enjoying a coffee.

I think it was one of the first applications of the all round camera that nowadays does the google street map thingummy. Amazing.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 01:52 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Frank, this is amazing. Thanks.

What I was struck by was how much had changed.....and how much had stayed exactly the same.

I really enjoyed checking out the sameness in the before/after shots. Some of the buildings are exactly the same.

Did you notice the tree behind the church? It looks like the same tree...only bigger. It might be a 70+ year old evergreen.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 01:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Not behind the church.

IT was the 5th photo...the one labelled "1944: A French armoured column passing through Sainte-Mère-Église receives a warm welcome from its inhabitants. 7 May 2014: A view of the high street today. Photographs by Popperfoto/Getty and Peter Macdiarmid/Getty"

The tree behind the house looks to be the same.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 01:57 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

These are very clever, Frank.

At Arromanches, where the Mulberry harbour is, they have a wrap round cinema high up on the cliff, where you go inside and watch a moving version of this idea.
An old black and white film taken from a tank driving down a Normandy High Street, rubble, destruction, loads of women throwing flowers....then suddenly the film changes to modern colour and you're continuing the exact same journey in the modern day, and there's a street market and people sitting outside enjoying a coffee.

I think it was one of the first applications of the all round camera that nowadays does the google street map thingummy. Amazing.

Wish I could see it, Lordy.

I love the technique. I used to have a local TV show...and I once shot some old, old photos of spots in our town...and then did wipes to today's settings. It was terrific. I loved doing it and it was well received.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 05:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Heres a Spit and a Grippen in a loose formation over Sword Beach. Note the Invasion Stripes on both. This was in todays "DailyMail on line"

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/05/article-0-1E7DBF3400000578-167_964x609.jpg

PS, I coulnt even open your pix. I guess Starbucks isn't a superfast WiFi network
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 03:37 am
I wonder if that was the ETPS Gripen, which I believe carries the Swedish serial 39802 as it is not RAF stock but leased.
0 Replies