"If you think racism isn't part of the conservative mindset,

BillW

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 01:55 pm
Wait about 2 years and the age will be 80 before anyone can claim a dime Cool

Then again, black life endurance is based on life style. Also, need to look at monies paid out to children and wives left behind!

I will never disagree that SS needs reform, but at the current rate - it will be dissolved in short order.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 02:01 pm
So we can all be racists - unknowlingly and unintentionally, and despite the best of intentions? We can all have our own meanings for words, but communication is bound to suffer.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:33 pm
Main Entry: racĀ·ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun
Date: 1936
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I don't believe that when the conservative right goes and spins "racism" they then can become clean without action. The actions in and of themselves prove the definition.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:39 pm
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030127-409510,00.html

Quote:
Look Away, Dixieland
Bush may have rebuked Lott for his praise of Strom Thurmond, but the President recently revived a practice of paying homage to an even greater champion of the Confederacy
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 03:42 pm
http://www.thedubyachronicles.com/index.htm
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:36 pm
BillW wrote:
I don't believe that when the conservative right goes and spins "racism" they then can become clean without action.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I did not "spin" anything. I simply took your standard as I understood it--that taking a policy position that can be interpreted as being bad for blacks makes one a racist--and tried to show you what happens when we apply such a standard.

Quote:
I don't think that Bush is bigot...

But in fact you wrote this:

Quote:
I find it to be a direct attack upon himself in lieu of his recent racist policies.

You later defined "racist policies" in this way:

Quote:
Let me expound a little - especially his belief that any system that benefits the blacks is unconstitutional whereas a system that benefits white, rich is okay.

So, by your standards Social Security is a racist program.

Now, isn't that line of "reasoning" kind of useless?

Racism is a terrible thing, and those who trivialize it by throwing the name around and attaching it to anyone they disagree with on ethnic issues are responsible for propagating some of the problems we face. Serious people with legitimate concerns about a policy are routinely labelled "racist", often by people who have no actual argument for the position espoused. The term has become a bludgeon used to beat back any attempt at discussion of ethnic issues.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 04:41 pm

You've posted this several times but I never got it's relevance to the topic you posted it in (other than your distaste for Bush).
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 05:16 pm
Craven (I've been spelling your name wrong) - I think I posted it twice, and my feeling is it protrays the total hypocracy of Bush, in a funny way, towards racism and his class warefare struggles.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 09:02 pm
Here is the same argument I make with a more serious link:

Bushes give it the old college lie

http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/today/opinion_e3924a35f63542880040.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:11 pm
BillW, Didn't trust GW from the time he ran for president. Nothings changed since his inauguration. His latest christian act is to give tax breaks to those folks that buys SUV's. Tell me what's wrong with this picture? c.i.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:34 pm
This thread was one of my favorites; full of lively conversation and hilarious digressions, and a few posts from some people who are no longer with us.

I'm going to get it started again with a couple of links, but I hope you'll go back and read from the very beginning.

An excerpt of a transcript from a recent Crossfire:

Quote:
NOVAK: You know, you can give that old -- that old -- those talking points any time you want, Paul. But the fact is, your party is in bad shape in the white South. And

(CROSSTALK)

BEGALA: Why is that?

(CROSSTALK)

BEGALA: Why is that?

NOVAK: It's because it's a conservative, patriotic area.

Please note the 'area' Novak is referring to is the 'white South'. Shocked

And two bits about Attorney General "Crisco" John Ashcroft, one soon to appear in Vanity Fair (advanced by the NY Daily News:

Quote:
While hosting a dinner as governor of Missouri, ... Ashcroft once tactlessly insulted the African-American waiters at the mansion, noting that the valuables were "bolted down" because the waiters were convicts on furlough from state prison. Ashcroft allegedly told a guest: "I'm sure you know who the waiters are. You know how they are."

and one from PFAW::

Quote:
Ashcroft spent years and significant state resources in efforts to stymie voluntary St. Louis desegregation plans designed to enable city and suburban students and families to choose whether to participate on a completely voluntary basis. He repeatedly tried to delay and reverse court orders, and his arguments were rejected in three appeals to the Supreme Court. He was threatened with contempt of court and was criticized and rebuked by federal judges. His conduct was likened to the Southern "massive resistance" that had followed the Supreme Court's decision more than two decades earlier in Brown v. Board of Education. Observers chastised him for exploiting his opposition to desegregation in his campaign for governor through rhetoric widely perceived as racially divisive. Even supporters and fellow Republicans criticized his tactics. And he failed completely to undertake meaningful efforts to solve the problems of state-created segregation, to resolve the litigation through negotiations or settlement, or to provide constructive leadership on the issue, all important qualities for a future U.S. Attorney General.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:35 pm
What about that hotel worker named Mohamed that doesn't have any criminal record was told he couldn't work when GWBush held a fund raiser at the hotel? That speaks volumes to me. Evidently, GWBush supporters sees nothing wrong with it. How disgusting!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:31 pm
Race is not an issue...........................because...........................they say so...........

Go figure Exclamation
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:41 pm
Everything about Bush is disgusting. Absolutely everything. The most dangerous and incompetent person ever to hold public office in the United States.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:41 pm
Sad but true..........
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:04 pm
Margaret Cho's appearance at MoveOn.org's awards ceremony Monday night was greeted with a blast of some of the sickest, most vile hate e-mail imaginable.

Much of it was directed by the good people at www.freerepublic.com .

Little did they suspect that their putrid filth would be posted on Margaret's website.

If you choose to click here,you can see for yourself. But don't do so without understanding that what you will find there is more than a little disgusting.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:36 pm
pd

That's almost not believable, and more than a little depressing.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:08 am
Wilso wrote:
Everything about Bush is disgusting. Absolutely everything. The most dangerous and incompetent person ever to hold public office in the United States.

The fact that he was elected and continues to enjoy popularity says something 'disgusting' about America as a nation and Americans as a people. Do not forget who put him in office.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:14 am
All pretty typical of conservative christians.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:04 pm
Novak differentiated the 'black South' from the 'white South' because the Southern black vote is assured to go Democrat.
0 Replies