What is your religion and why do you think that yours is right

edgarblythe

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 01:26 pm
The right religion:
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 01:27 pm
Quote:
Miller asked me: Do prophets read minds?

Not sure I know what you're getting at mate.
Prophets were simply given messages from God to pass on to the human race.
For example Jesus said-
"For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 01:45 pm
@mizztaurus86,
Apodictical existential pantheism. Maintains the awe/mystery, Mizz, but entails no paradox nor contradiction
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 01:48 pm
ZEN (though some will say it is not a religion), because it best conforms to my life experience.
neologist

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:17 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
In other words it is acceptable to exchange ideas so long as the ideas are the same as yours.

Nice to see that you've managed to make your Christian tent very very small.

Rap
I'm sorry!
I did not mean to disparage your belief. I used to be a tea pottist myself. So I know how you feel.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 02:28 pm
@Herald,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
The message is simple:- ...
Herald wrote:
Oh, no, the message is not that simple ... at all.

1. We don't know what 'salvation' is, and to whom it is ... and why is God concerned to save us from ourselves at all.
Actually more simple than Romeo would have you believe. Our first human parents were told they could live on earth forever, providing they avoided a certain fruit, the consequence being death. No mention is made of baking, broiling, frying, or boiling.
So they screwed up..
Nowhere does it say God changed his mind.
In fact, there are many scriptural references to God's unchanging purpose, not the least of which is the transliteration of his name, Jehovah, meaning "He who creates" of "He who causes to become". In the future, a great number of those now living and those who have died in the past will realize God's purpose. That includes those who may never have known God at all. (John 5:28, 29)
raprap

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 04:34 pm
I'm a Euclidean--Gawd is in the Integers, everything else is man made.

BTW Euclid's Elements could well be mankind's oldest complete unedited book. It was published about 300 BC.

Euclid's Elements

Rap
edgarblythe

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 04:39 pm
I believe in ball bearings. They make the going smooth and effortless. Just don't become the grease in them and all will be well.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 05:15 pm
@mizztaurus86,
You've told us what you believe but not why you believe your religion is right and all others are wrong.

Have you exempted yourself from the question?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 05:30 pm
@mizztaurus86,
mizztaurus86 wrote:

Why do you think that your religion is right and everyone else's is wrong. I'm a Christian and I believe Jesus died for us on the cross so that our sins can be forgiven and who ever gives his life to Jesus shall live for eternity of course in heaven.

To the extent that a religion entails an organization, I don't have one, to the extent that it is defined as a set of beliefs I do, but I would be hard pressed to provide you with a name that would help you understand it by relating it to an existing organized religions.

I think my religion is right because it makes sense to me. I don't think all other religions are wrong and in fact, I borrow from most of them.

I don't believe Jesus was anymore a personification of God than anyone living during his time or now. I suppose this means that I think you are "wrong" in your belief that he is the unique Son of God, but frankly I don't care whether you are or not. I'm not absolutely certain that he isn't what you believe him to be; only reasonably certain that he is not (wink to frank if he is reading this), but if it gives you some comfort to believe what you do and you live your life according to his teachings as generally outlined in the Bible, I consider your religion to be, in a large way, "right."

On the other hand, if your religion includes the need to tell everyone else that theirs is wrong, I consider it largely "wrong" itself.

0 Replies

neologist

Sun 1 Jun, 2014 05:33 pm
@raprap,
I am sorry. I thought you were saying you were a spaghetteist. My comments were rude and uncalled for.

Mea Culpa
Mea Maxima Culpa
dalehileman

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 11:31 am
@neologist,
Neo what a fine fella you must be
Herald

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 12:44 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Actually more simple than Romeo would have you believe.

Simple in the Bible has the meaning of stupid, foolish, silly, naive and perhaps ingenuous and unartful.
How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge? {Proverbs, 1:23}
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent [man] looketh well to his going. {Proverbs, 14:16}
The simple inherit folly: but the prudent are crowned with knowledge.
{Proverbs, 14:19}
When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise: and when the wise is
instructed, he receiveth knowledge. {Proverbs, 21:12}

So, when somebody says that s.th. is more simple that someone can imagine it is not clear whether he is saying that the stories of the Bible are common, plain and modest or stupid foolish and naive.

To me it doesn't matter, for some of the interpretations of the Bible are outperforming everything one can imagine ... at the background whereof any misinterpretations of the Bible are diminishing.
0 Replies

DavinaTheUnicorn

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:23 pm
@mizztaurus86,
I was raised as a Christian, in Greece. Imagine that! The place where everything started. As i grew older i just stopped believing everything my family said. It's not that they are wrong it's just that i don't feel it right. Anyway i used to be an orthodox. At the age of 15 i started questioning my religion. For a year or so i considered myself atheist. But come on! We are human we need to believe to greater power that help us. After i carefully examined many religions i started to stick to "wiccan religion" i don't think that what i believe in is right nor that what you believe is wrong. The thing that i believe is a greater power, whatever that is, anyone can have faith.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:34 pm
@dalehileman,
Spaghetteism is a dreadful burden to bear.
0 Replies

timur

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:38 pm
As unicorns can type they wrote:
We are human we need to believe to greater power that help us

This is one of those weird beliefs religious people have.

Not all humans need to believe in a greater power.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:42 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Re: neologist (Post 5680469)
Neo what a fine fella you must be

He is a fine fella, indeed. Cool Smile Take my word for it! Wink
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Tue 3 Jun, 2014 07:39 am
Quote:
Davina said: After i carefully examined many religions i started to stick to "wiccan religion"

Good for you luv, I've had a soft spot for wiccans ever since they burnt Edward Woodward in a wicker man for his lousy acting, then they did the same to Nic Cage in the remake, way to go..Smile
0 Replies

Herald

Tue 3 Jun, 2014 12:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
ZEN (though some will say it is not a religion), because it best conforms to my life experience.

Zen is actually part of the Buddhism ... and BTW it is not exactly religion - it is an attitude to the world and universal method to focus on the present moment without bothering for the past and for the fufture and to remain in peace and harmony with yourself and also to acquire better understanding of the world through quiet meditation and a lot of reasoning about yourself and the world.
If you have so much time to practice Zen we are very glad for you. We, the simple mortal have to work in order to earn our money ... and cannot afford this luxury.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 08:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Me? I'm a Sixth Day Buttock Cleavageist.

Every Saturday I spend the day looking out for untucked women bending over in supermarkets.

I suspect my ButtCrackus church must be the American version of Buttock Cleavageist. We don't limit ourselves to Saturdays, rather we tend to be home when large men with ill fitting pants are carrying overly heavy objects up staircases. It's the price you pay for very devout.
0 Replies