Is surrogacy the answer for infertility

Thu 29 May, 2014 03:30 am
Surrogacy is a method through which couples opt for when all the other hopes are lost. It is method through which another woman carries and gives birth to a baby for the couple who want to have a child. But is surrogacy the only solution to infertility?

jespah

Thu 29 May, 2014 06:45 am
@womenhealth,
Nope. Adopt preexisting children. The world is already horribly overpopulated. Spending thousands of dollars on infertility treatments is a way to line doctors' pockets. Spending that money on a child who needs love is an investment that will pay dividends for years to come.
luismtzzz

Thu 29 May, 2014 06:33 pm
@womenhealth,
Surrogate uterus is not the last line of treatment for infertility. It is only used on particular cases when the mother is incapable of having her own pregnancy or the pregnancy increases the risk for both maternal and fetal death. Example of case A: mother without uterus secondary to an endometrial cancer that required total histerctomy. Case B: mother with severe lumbar spine lesion to whom the pressure of a pregnancy over the spine could cause the loss of the hability to walk.

Personally i will allways consider adoption as the best option. But as in every other situation human nature is so diverse that there is people out there that can not consider the idea of a child unless they think the baby has half their genes on their blood.

There are a myriad of techniques to achive pregnancy. I find amazing how it seems that we are not just an all destructive creature, but we have developed incredible ways to create a new human life.

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracytoplasmic_sperm_injection
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 29 May, 2014 07:34 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Nope. Adopt preexisting children. The world is already horribly overpopulated. Spending thousands of dollars on infertility treatments is a way to line doctors' pockets. Spending that money on a child who needs love is an investment that will pay dividends for years to come.

I am so glad you said this jespah.

Things like IVF and surrogacy are like these sacred cows that one dare not question.
Even more horrible to consider mentioning is that it just might not be in the cards to have a child.

Over 40 years ago, my SIL desparately wanted children, had several miscarriages. However, her husband (this is for his own personal reasons, NOMB) objected to adoption, wanting any child to have his genes.
You know what? They ended up having a very happy life together.

It's our consumer oriented society that says, if you want it, you can, and Should, have it.

Well, maybe not.
There's plenty of preexisting models out there to choose from.

On top of that, the costs....oy....you'd be paying off having a baby when he's having his second child.
jespah

Thu 29 May, 2014 08:16 pm
@chai2,
Aw, thanks. Yeah, I think a lot of folks are of the mindset that if half the genes aren't theirs, it's not 'really' their kid. I got news for 'em. We, as a species, share a ton of genes. Yes, even people of different races.

Get over it. Some kid needs you, and usually they need you a helluva lot more than the Earth needs yet another human.
chai2

Thu 29 May, 2014 09:17 pm
@jespah,
I always have to wonder why people react with such alarm when the poplulation growth decreases, or God forbid, goes negative.

We'd be doing the planet a favor if less people were being born into it.
0 Replies

BARBARA Smith

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:34 am
@womenhealth,
of course surrogacy helps you to get baby. but the medication can also help you also in treating the fertility problem like clomid
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 07:44 am
@womenhealth,
Adoption comes to mind (having been adopted myself.) Also, might depend on what specificly is going on with you whether you're well and truly infertile or if you had the money to spend could overcome it.

They're already working on same-sex couple reproduction using both partner's own cells (as opposed to existing surrogacy methods.) So "infertile" today may not be tomorrow.
0 Replies

sjfivfcare

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:38 am
@jespah,
Very well said
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 06:10 am
@jespah,
just trying to add some lighter elements:

I saw a cartoon in the New Yorker. These two couples , each holding a baby , meet in the street. The caption is (as one couple asks the other)

"Is your child adopted or is it artisanal?"
0 Replies

NavidRahmani

Mon 24 Apr, 2017 05:56 am
@womenhealth,
There are two sides to what actually happens, as well as the many diverse social and legal views. Really, it is useful to have fully explored other options like adoption before you decide that surrogacy is the path you wish to choose. Because surrogacy the process is complex and emotional. If you finally choose to get a child through surrogacy, make sure you choose the right woman who would be capable of having a safe, healthy pregnancy and birth, and with whom you have a relationship of trust.
0 Replies