Is There Any Reason to Believe the Biblical Story of Creation?

neologist

Mon 26 May, 2014 12:25 pm
@Brandon9000,
OK. Chomp on this one first:
http://able2know.org/topic/245625-2#post-5673665
neologist

Mon 26 May, 2014 12:30 pm
@neologist,
I'll be at the club.
Then a trip to the growler store. Drunk Well, not very. Need something with the BBQ
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Mon 26 May, 2014 12:33 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

If this is presenting evidence that Biblical creation is true, then I don't see it. Don't be so coy. Please just say what you mean.
giujohn

Mon 26 May, 2014 02:46 pm
@neologist,
yeah...just lazy on my part...
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 26 May, 2014 03:56 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
If this is presenting evidence that Biblical creation is true, then I don't see it. Don't be so coy. Please just say what you mean.
Rather than get into a philosophical discussion similar to this one, reportedly between Jesus and Pilate:
Quote:
So Pilate said to him: “Well, then, are you a king?” Jesus answered: “You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.” 38 Pilate said to him: “What is truth?” (John 18: 37,38)
I will answer by saying the Biblical account of creation is sufficient.
Brandon9000

Mon 26 May, 2014 04:28 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Rather than get into a philosophical discussion similar to this one, reportedly between Jesus and Pilate:
Quote:
So Pilate said to him: “Well, then, are you a king?” Jesus answered: “You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.” 38 Pilate said to him: “What is truth?” (John 18: 37,38)

So you have no evidence that it is true.
neologist

Mon 26 May, 2014 06:25 pm
@Brandon9000,
OK. I warned you.
What is truth?
Brandon9000

Mon 26 May, 2014 06:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
OK. I warned you.
What is truth?

Is this really the only kind of evidence you can find for the Bible? The events described in the Bible are individually true or false. In order for it to be sensible to believe something, one should have reason to believe it is the truth, as opposed to not the truth. The thread asks in a very straightforward way what reason there is to believe that the occurrences in the Bible are true. Please don't play games or use verbal tricks. If you have no reasons you can think of which lend support for your beliefs, please simply let others post who do have reasons.
neologist

Mon 26 May, 2014 07:10 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Is this really the only kind of evidence you can find for the Bible? The events described in the Bible are individually true or false. In order for it to be sensible to believe something, one should have reason to believe it is the truth, as opposed to not the truth. The thread asks in a very straightforward way what reason there is to believe that the occurrences in the Bible are true. Please don't play games or use verbal tricks. If you have no reasons you can think of which lend support for your beliefs, please simply let others post who do have reasons.
Your question was about the creation account. That pretty much ended in Genesis chapter 2. Do you want more? Ask for more.
Brandon9000

Mon 26 May, 2014 07:39 pm
@neologist,
You are correct. The thread asks only about Genesis. Anything else should go in a separate thread. If you have evidence to support Genesis, please post it here.
Olivier5

Mon 26 May, 2014 07:41 pm
There is of course no evidence that the bible creation stories are true. This said, there is no scientific explanation for the existence of the universe, the appearance of life, or of consciousness. If and when science crack these 3 mysteries, creation myths will become obsolete.
Brandon9000

Mon 26 May, 2014 07:49 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

There is of course no evidence that the bible creation stories are true. This said, there is no scientific explanation for the existence of the universe, the appearance of life, or of consciousness. If and when science crack these 3 mysteries, creation myths will become obsolete.

Not sure what you mean. Doesn't science claim that the Big Bang Theory explains a big piece of the existence of the universe and the Theory of Evolution explains the appearance of life and consciousness?
neologist

Mon 26 May, 2014 09:22 pm
@Brandon9000,
Genesis ch on covers about 2400 years. Best to take it a little at a time. Ch. 3 is a job all by itself.
Coming soon.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 26 May, 2014 09:25 pm
@Olivier5,
Go to the post I referred to Brandon above so I don't have to re post
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 26 May, 2014 09:27 pm
@neologist,
Any argument as to whether this is sufficient?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 26 May, 2014 10:34 pm
@Brandon9000,
I don't think we know what made the big bang happen, nor if there was something before it, nor even if it means anything to speak of before the big bang...

Evolution theory explains how life evolved after it appeared but not how it appeared in the first place. And the phenomenon of consciousness remains a complete mystery.

Joe Nation

Mon 26 May, 2014 10:41 pm
Quote:

Sufficient for who? Those who are seeking easy answers? Those who enjoy a nice yarn? For a six year old who has asked "Where did I come from?"

Joe(or just you.)Nation
neologist

Mon 26 May, 2014 11:08 pm
@Joe Nation,
I wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Sufficient for who? Those who are seeking easy answers? Those who enjoy a nice yarn? For a six year old who has asked "Where did I come from?"
For the ancient farmer or tradesman to answer basic questions about life...
What more did they need?
Setanta

Tue 27 May, 2014 02:36 am
@neologist,
Apparently you haven't noticed that we are no longer ancient farmers and tradesmen. What more did they need? What more do we need? Let's start with the truth, which cannot be found in your book of reassuring fairy tales about your magic sky daddy.
Brandon9000

Tue 27 May, 2014 03:57 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I don't think we know what made the big bang happen, nor if there was something before it, nor even if it means anything to speak of before the big bang...

They know much more than they did a century ago. There may be some things so complicated that people cannot figure them out. That doesn't mean that the answer is magic, which, I understand you are not implying.

Olivier5 wrote:

Evolution theory explains how life evolved after it appeared but not how it appeared in the first place. And the phenomenon of consciousness remains a complete mystery.

Not really. After hundreds of millions of years of random chemical combinations in the Earth's oceans, finally a chemical was randomly produced that made copies of itself. This would be a chemical much, much simpler than DNA. Sometimes when a unit copied itself, it made an error, which once in a blue moon was actually an improvement. This started evolution. Over billions of years, the descendants of the first chemical unit assumed greater functionality and also greater complexity. Sometimes this meant the ability to make decisions based on circumstances. When the computing power reached a certain level, it became possible for the units to be aware of their own existence, which is what we mean by consciousness.