Is There Any Reason to Believe the Biblical Story of Creation?

Easy-Y

Sat 24 May, 2014 05:48 am
@Setanta,
Did you turn the other cheek like Jesus did

I feel your despair its not to late.

open your heart not yur ass
Brandon9000

Sat 24 May, 2014 07:33 am
Presumably people who believe that the Biblical story of creation is true feel that they are correct and that they have good reason for their beliefs. This thread is an opportunity for them to convince others of the truth of their position, or at least to speak the truth.
Setanta

Sat 24 May, 2014 08:13 am
@Easy-Y,
You feel my despair? You're delusional. You should seek professional help . . . it's not too late . . .
0 Replies

dalehileman

Sat 24 May, 2014 12:00 pm
@Easy-Y,
Quote:
You will be sorry when the Devil has you. blasphemer
Repent now
Jesus wud even take yu back. sinner
Easy please, you're kidding aren't you
0 Replies

loopin louie

Sat 24 May, 2014 01:25 pm
There is no proof that god exist. There is more evidence of aliens life that there is of God, but yet the people who think that there is intelligence life in the universe are look as the crazy ones.

The bible is so full of **** (I challenge anyone to explain to me how it is not) there are story nothing more. Not even original stories at that a lot of the story in the bible were taken from other dead religions and rewritten. Religion is nothing more than a form of crowd control. A fear tactic to keep people in line.
dalehileman

Sat 24 May, 2014 02:17 pm
@loopin louie,
Quote:
the people who think that there is intelligence life in the universe are look as the crazy ones.
Not me I hope. Louie there is most certainly other intelligent life however sparsely distributed. If there's only one occupied planet in each galaxy, it's been conservatively estimated that there must be an easy 4 quadrillion of us
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 24 May, 2014 02:18 pm
The "creation story" is just that. It was copied from the first story ever told and passed on by word of mouth and then much later became the fist written story in human civilization. It is the story of Gilgamesh and this story (and thats all it really ever was) came thousands of years before any organized religion. The bible is a fable and is not even original one.
observingo

Sat 24 May, 2014 03:18 pm

Genesis 1:1
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
so ok but the bible does not correlates it's story with the big bang theory

How did heavens and earth were created? what forces triggered the expansion of the universe from singularity to a vast space?

peter the apostle spoke about the end of days by saying

2 Peter 3:10 ►
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.
reverse this and build your own conclusion
neologist

Sat 24 May, 2014 03:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Brandon may have a nibble here. I suspect, though, that intelligent Christians (and that's who Brandon has aimed this thread at) aren't going to take the bate.

Bate me.

Just a well intentioned retort, of course. I wanted to keep this one on my radar.

Back when time permits.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 24 May, 2014 04:37 pm
@observingo,
"what forces triggered the expansion of the universe from singularity to a vast space?".......GRAVITY
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 24 May, 2014 04:55 pm
What do you suppose the creation account was designed to accomplish?

The first 3 chapters describe, in a few pages, events covering perhaps billions of years. The typical ancient man was surely more concerned about how to store crops for the winter than contemplating the nuances of a molecular helix. All he needed were basic answers to questions like “Where did we come from?”; “Why are we here?”; “Why do we die?”. So, what is in the book of Genesis?

Ch 1: 1,2: The creation of the heavens and the earth takes place in an unspecified period of time. Could have been a kazillion years. Who cares? Humans can figure that out later. This time, however, is not included as one of the creative days.

Ch1:3-31 is not discussing the original creation of matter or of the heavenly bodies. It describes the preparation of the already existing earth for human habitation and, in the sixth day, the creation of the first human pair and their commission to fill the earth. That all this reportedly occurred within six days should not be a cause of confusion, as the Hebrew word 'yom' translated “day” has a variety of meanings, including ‘a long time; the time covering an extraordinary event. This is underscored in Ch2, vs 4 which lumps all the six into one. It should be here pointed out, that, despite the condensation of the text, the order of creation is pretty much as it happened. Again, not that it mattered to Joe Blow. Humans can figure that out later.

Ch 2 1:25 is a recap of chapter 1 and includes more information about the first humans, including the first marriage, and God's command about a certain fruit they were forbidden to eat. It is well to reflect here that in Ch 1 vs. 26 God decreed that humans would be created in “our image”, apparently with attributes common to all intelligent creations. Could that be where the attribute of love and our concept of fairness originated? If so, how can chapter 3 be explained? Because that is where all love and fairness seemed to tank.

Since I know these first few paragraphs will likely generate responses ranging from well considered rebuttal to foam at the mouth vituperation, I will save chapter 3 for later, after dressing my wounds.

Please continue having a safe holiday weekend.

BTW, I haven't said anything about the seventh creative day as it has not yet been recorded as having ended.
usmankhalid665

Sat 24 May, 2014 11:35 pm
Science is not absolute. We cannot depend too much to pastulates of science. There is a limit of science, beyond this, science does not provide answers of many questions.
Brandon9000

Sun 25 May, 2014 01:07 am
@usmankhalid665,
usmankhalid665 wrote:

Science is not absolute. We cannot depend too much to pastulates of science. There is a limit of science, beyond this, science does not provide answers of many questions.

This isn't an answer to the question asked. Please stay on topic.
Joe Nation

Sun 25 May, 2014 04:05 am
@Brandon9000,
usmankhalid665 is trying to make the point the "Science is not absolute" but religion (somehow) is.
It's a completely undefensible argument so he or she won't post it completely.
and, you're right, it's not an answer to your question.
Joe(That answer is 'no'. )Nation
usmankhalid665

Sun 25 May, 2014 08:28 am
@Brandon9000,
Dear Brandon9000, actually my point is that we cannot prove everything scietifically, it will need more time to explore many things which have not been solved yet. Sir, actually "believes" does not demand scientific logic to prove them.
Brandon9000

Sun 25 May, 2014 08:31 am
@usmankhalid665,
usmankhalid665 wrote:

Dear Brandon9000, actually my point is that we cannot prove everything scietifically, it will need more time to explore many things which have not been solved yet. Sir, actually "believes" does not demand scientific logic to prove them.

Fine, but still not the answer to the opening question, which asks for evidence that the central ideas of the Bible are the truth.
0 Replies

usmankhalid665

Sun 25 May, 2014 08:37 am
@Joe Nation,
Dear Sir, please listen speech of Dr. Zakir Naik "Quran and modern science"
Brandon9000

Sun 25 May, 2014 09:00 am
@usmankhalid665,
usmankhalid665 wrote:

Dear Sir, please listen speech of Dr. Zakir Naik "Quran and modern science"

No homework assignments. You are going to have to summarize your position here.
neologist

Sun 25 May, 2014 10:06 am
@Brandon9000,
Succintly put. I scorn offsite references.
Brandon9000

Sun 25 May, 2014 10:30 am
@neologist,
It's a way of appearing to be able to give evidence that one cannot actually give.