"If God doesn't exist, everything is permitted."?

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:43 am
Dostoevsky once said: "If God doesn't exist, everything is permitted."

My question is how did he reach to this conclusion? I mean this statement is NOT about whether we get our moral values from bible or other holy books(because even if someone hasn't read those books, he can still know that for example rape is immoral) and the other thing is that I think this statement is also NOT about whether those who don't believe in god can't be moral persons or can't do good deeds(because they simply can!)

long story short, I think this statement is referring to the foundation of morality; but as I said I can't understand how Dostoevsky reach to such a conclusion;

can someone elaborate please;

thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 28 • Views: 12,470 • Replies: 150
Topic Closed

Buttermilk

Sun 11 May, 2014 07:19 am
@alphajoza,
God's non-existence really has no effect on human morality. Within a constructed society there are social constructed moralities that we collectively abide by and there are constructed moralities that we as a country we collectively abide by (state laws, federal laws etc).
fresco

Sun 11 May, 2014 07:21 am
@alphajoza,
http://standfirminfaith.com/?/sf/page/28086
...just one of the references on Googling "Dostoevsky morality"
0 Replies

fresco

Sun 11 May, 2014 07:26 am
@Buttermilk,
Indeed ! It can be argued that "God" is part of such a construction. But that has little to do with Dostoevsky and the context of the quotation.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Sun 11 May, 2014 02:02 pm
@Buttermilk,
I am not sure I agree. Morals in the bible or the quaran are very different to the kind of morals man would engineer from a governmental perspective. Regardless of who wrote these books, if people were not afraid of upsetting a god, I believe we would have an altogether different set of morals. A lack of a god figure in society would make IMO a large difference to our current moral inclinations, specifically with regard to sexual morality.
timur

Sun 11 May, 2014 02:13 pm
Smileyrius wrote:
A lack of a god figure in society would make IMO a large difference to our current moral inclinations, specifically with regard to sexual morality.

Sheesh!

Trying to propagate such crap is a complete intellectual fraud!

Atheists are often more morally integer than lots of the religious zealots..
Smileyrius

Sun 11 May, 2014 03:18 pm
@timur,
I am not seperating atheists from theists. I am talking about a world with no god concept. I know of many moral atheists too, however mans moral construct has been heavily influenced by the god concept, whether true or not.

Do you disagree?
0 Replies

sunyata

Sun 11 May, 2014 04:38 pm
@alphajoza,
i would not giv it much thought it's a non sequitur
0 Replies

sunyata

Sun 11 May, 2014 04:39 pm
@alphajoza,
it also could be an appeal to emotive.
he might hav a political agenda
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:02 pm
@alphajoza,
There are a number of philosophies regarding voluntary restrictions of human behavior. Social Contract, Enlightened Self Interest are but 2. Google either one for a more complete list.

What I find interesting is they are all human attempts to satisfy the promise made by the serpent in Genesis chapter 3 that humans can make their own decisions about good and bad. And, while the attempts may seem at first meritorious, 6000 years of reality have shown their failure. I, for one, am reassured by the full text of that chapter, promising an end to the rebellion and restoration of the Creator's purpose.
sunyata

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:12 pm
@neologist,
ur second paragraph is non sequitur reasoning.
neologist

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:31 pm
@sunyata,
No. It's just opinion
sunyata

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:36 pm
@neologist,
an opinion which is reasoned fallaciously
neologist

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:38 pm
@sunyata,
OK
Point out fallacy
sunyata

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:42 pm
@neologist,
they are all human attempts --- to satisfy the promise made by the serpent in Genesis...
how are they? theres a gap
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:42 pm
@Smileyrius,
Um apparently God is always upset thus the continuance of seeking forgiveness because religionist believe human perfection is continually transgressing God's laws. I tend to like man's laws. Society believes intentional murder is wrong, intentional thievery is wrong, but as long as you abide by those laws you stay outta prison.
neologist

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:44 pm
@Buttermilk,
What do you mean by human perfection? I see humans as anything but.
Buttermilk

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:47 pm
@neologist,
Typo...I meant imperfection
sunyata

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:48 pm
@Buttermilk,
Society believes intentional murder is wrong, intentional thievery is wrong,
this is a false fact.
e.g. the spartans and spartan like society's
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 11 May, 2014 06:54 pm
@Buttermilk,
OK. But no matter how much we may like man's laws, they really have failed to solve man's real problems.