"If God doesn't exist, everything is permitted."?

Chumly

Sat 17 May, 2014 01:52 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

What claim?
My claim that our choice is irrelevant?
I believe Neil deGrasse Tyson made a similar claim.
If you intend to mount a counterclaim that you made no claim, then you'd best advise how you propose to proceed with this mounting, however it would not be unreasonable of me to assume it would involve the missionary position, notwithstanding the fact that your chances of success with me are slim to none.

I would further suggest you take your lord's advice to heart and go forth and multiply, but given your proclivity for illogic over logic you'd best start with something simpler such as subtraction, which you should be familiar with as it involves removing objects from a collection.

If neither of those two particulars tickles your fancy, I suppose we could revisit your concerns with suppositories in light of Freud's views on anal expulsion vs. anal retention.
darthtig

Sat 17 May, 2014 02:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Doesn't make Christianity count and the rest of the religions not count.
I'm not implying to single out any religion.

My opinion, which can be agreed or disagreed, was that religion is like a language. There are different kinds of language with different rules i.e. french have masculine, feminine.
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 17 May, 2014 03:24 pm
@Chumly,
You used to be fun, Chumly. Perhaps you have need of those suppositories for your pain.

I see you quote Asimov's rant about anti intellectualism. Is that so you may be considered intellectual? Or is professed intellectualism an equally odious trait? You make so many references to the nether areas, one might begin to wonder which organ does your thinking.
Chumly

Sat 17 May, 2014 10:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You used to be fun, Chumly. Perhaps you have need of those suppositories for your pain.

I see you quote Asimov's rant about anti intellectualism. Is that so you may be considered intellectual? Or is professed intellectualism an equally odious trait? You make so many references to the nether areas, one might begin to wonder which organ does your thinking.
God is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture. - Prof. Frink

InfraBlue

Sat 17 May, 2014 11:36 pm
@neologist,
Do you favor seeing this similar outcome for those who volunteer not to escape?
neologist

Sun 18 May, 2014 12:19 am
@InfraBlue,
If your house caught fire, would you prefer to witness it from the outside or from the inside?

Your choice is voluntary.
neologist

Sun 18 May, 2014 12:21 am
@Chumly,
Well, DOH, Chumly!

I believe you've got it!
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 18 May, 2014 07:17 am
Quote:
Romeo said: Only Christianity has the Son of God himself in it, so all the rest don't count..
Darthtig replied: Doesn't make Christianity count and the rest of the religions not count.

If we bought a "Stars of Rock n' roll" video and found Elvis wasn't in it, we'd take it back and demand our money back!
Same with religions, any religion without Jesus in it is a crock, right Elv?
"Uh-huh"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/elvis-king_zps428d19f5.jpg~original
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 18 May, 2014 01:20 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

If your house caught fire, would you prefer to witness it from the outside or from the inside?

In your scenario, the house fire will be set deliberately to achieve your ends. Are you in favor of setting the house fire to achieve your ends?
neologist

Sun 18 May, 2014 06:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
In your scenario, the house fire will be set deliberately to achieve your ends. Are you in favor of setting the house fire to achieve your ends?
These are not my ends, not my purpose. It is God's purpose that the earth should become free of war and crime and sickness and death. Those who stand in the way of that purpose cannot expect to be preserved. Whether you and I are in favor is irrelevant.
InfraBlue

Sun 18 May, 2014 11:08 pm
@neologist,
You're all for it, though. Right?
davidmartin123

Sun 18 May, 2014 11:15 pm
@alphajoza,
There is no question whether God exist or not. the question is here what we know about ourselves. Do we really know about ourselves? I think no one in this world claims to have through knowledge regarding the human functionality. So, it's better , we should focus on some constructing work rather than discussing about whether God exist or Not.
fresco

Mon 19 May, 2014 12:13 am
@davidmartin123,
You are correct that questions about "the existence of God" are futile, since all concepts from "gods" to "rocks" are elements in human cognitive functionality. But whether a constructive discussion of that can proceed here is doubtful because it takes a certain degree of intellectual sophistication to understand that meaning of words (like coins) is embedded in the particular context of usage (the value of currency in market conditions). Dostoevsky was operating in his particular social context just as we are each operating in ours.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 19 May, 2014 01:01 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
All for what?
For what do you wish to indict me?
InfraBlue

Mon 19 May, 2014 12:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
All for what?
For what do you wish to indict me?

I'm asking if you are all for the outcome, in your words, similar to having your enemies--priests and politicians among others--strangled with one another's entrails, and also likening this outcome to burning your enemies within their houses. According to your beliefs, this will be perpetrated so that you may inherit the earth.
neologist

Mon 19 May, 2014 02:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
So you and anyone else may inherit the earth, God will do whatever must be done. Then it is only up to you . . .

Put another way:
If your family were to be kidnapped and held hostage, would you not do whatever is needed to free them? If you could free them and spare the perpetrators, would that be OK?
InfraBlue

Mon 19 May, 2014 04:08 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

So you and anyone else may inherit the earth, God will do whatever must be done. Then it is only up to you . . .

So, for you the ends justify the means.

Quote:
Put another way:
If your family were to be kidnapped and held hostage, would you not do whatever is needed to free them? If you could free them and spare the perpetrators, would that be OK?

I don't get your analogy between freeing one's family from kidnappers and what amounts to strangling one's enemies with their own entrails and burning them in their houses.
neologist

Mon 19 May, 2014 05:37 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
. . . I don't get your analogy between freeing one's family from kidnappers and what amounts to strangling one's enemies with their own entrails and burning them in their houses.
True.
You don't get it.
InfraBlue

Tue 20 May, 2014 01:03 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
. . . I don't get your analogy between freeing one's family from kidnappers and what amounts to strangling one's enemies with their own entrails and burning them in their houses.
True.
You don't get it.

Care to explain it?
neologist

Tue 20 May, 2014 04:41 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Care to explain it?
You mean explain it again?