Stop publishing torture photos; we get the picture

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 06:49 pm
C.I., I'll accept your estimate that 99% of young men will "follow orders" without question... Whether they approve or not. However, that doesn't mean 99% will follow the rules in absence of specific "orders". Over 5% of soldiers returning from Vietnam tested positive for heroin. Your logic would imply that this too had to be the result of superior's decisions. The fact is; soldiers are human beings, some good, and some bad. Everything they do cannot necessarily be attributed to their leaders.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 06:53 pm
Yes, dyslexia but I don't think our country had this "us" and "them" mentality so much then.

I don't think the photos are going to change any minds. But they do serve to illustrate just how far this administration is willing to go. It is sort of weird, when you see them on TV they are bad, but not half as bad as seeing them on the internet.

You all may not believe this, but if those kinds of photos were taken kosovo I would have turned on Clinton so fast my head would spin. There is no excuse good enough to justify torturing someone; even if that might save lives.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:04 pm
I find it very interesting that those who have the biggest problem with the tortures at Abu Ghraib jail, are pretty much the same people that thought we should have left Saddam in charge of it. Shocked Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:08 pm
Bill, could you name one person who thought Saddam should still be in power? thats really a pretty silly statement.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:08 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
The proof that the problem doesn't come from "the top of the pyramid" is that there are several other prison facilities in Iraq run by the US military that do not have these problems. It's easy to see that these were isolated events affecting only one prison facility and not a general policy approved by top management and common to all military prisons. That is, unless you have an anti-administration agenda to maintain, in which case everyone, whether guilty or innocent, must share the guilt.

Tarantuals, perhaps you should start reading somthing other than NEWSMAX.
Red Cross Faced Dilemma in Iraq, Prisons Worldwide
The abuse should come as no surprise
Quote:
British accused of prison abuse
Prison Abuse Widespread Say British Soldiers
Human rights groups have documented prisoner abuse for 2 years
Prisoner abuse: What about the other secret U.S. prisons?
Former human rights minister told Bremer about Iraq detainee abuse
Amnesty International: Iraq Torture Not Isolated
USA: Pattern of brutality and cruelty -- war crimes at Abu Ghraib

As you can see, reports of the widespread problem of torture in US and British facilities have been circulating for at least a year. Iraq, Afghanistam, and Guantanamo are black stains on the American soul. Hiding from this, and mewing "things aren't really that bad" is an act of intellectual cowardice.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:27 pm
The use of drug during the Vietnam war is a whole different issue, and you should know that! FYI, over 5% of Vietnam vets upon their return to the states became unproductive citizens of our country. We must share some blame for this debacle; they were fighting a war that the American People did not support.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:54 pm
tarantulas : i still see a problem in the leadership, and i'm not just looking at the problems in iraq. a good leader will know the people he/she is working with. he/she will know their strengths and weaknesses, and give the proper support and education where and when required. a good leader will lead by example and will follow through to ensure that his /her orders will be carried out properly. looking at some of the pictures, it seems to me, that more than "just a few" of the guards were involved in the atrocities. surely, the pictures suggest that there were as many as a dozen guards involved, and in addition there were several bystanders. to make it worse, this wasn't just a matter of a prisoner being kicked or punched, these looked to me more like (sadistic) production numbers designed to inflict the maximum amount of humiliation on these human beings. .. where were the leaders ? were the like the proverbial three monkeys : see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil ? ... i also find it interesting that rather quickly about one-half of the prisoners have now suddenly been released. i have to wonder why they were imprisoned in the first place and why it took up to a year to determine that they could be released after all. ... just as an aside: "60 minutes" showed the story of the american helicopter-pilot who intervened in the my lai/vietnam massacre of innocent civilians. it took years before he was finally accepted back as an "honourable" member of the u.s. air force. for years he was considered a traitor. as he stated, when he appeared before a secret hearing in 1970, he was given to understand that, if anyone would go to jail, it would be him. here also, the command structure failed. the leaders knew what was going on, but were not willing to do anything about it. hbg. ... i just want to add that i feel, that the leader of the guards let her/his staff down badly. the leader is responsible for the welfare of the people under her/his leadership; they were not given guidance and not shown leadership, IMO.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:02 pm
Occum Bill

There are a lot of places in the world where there are leaders who are in a position to abuse their citizens and get away with it in the world.

Had Bush said at the beginning that we are going to go to Iraq because Saddam Hussien is still abusing his own people and keeping them under suppression and if we were not in the middle of another war already and if I trusted Bush in the first place, I would have supported the war for humanitarian reasons. Instead they went on and on about what a threat Saddam Hussien was to us and tried to connect it to 9/11 by mentioning the two together so much in their speeches and on talk shows and then when that didn't have quite as much support as they thought it would, they added on the part about the inhumanity of Saddam Hussien. Which is bizarre because not long ago those very same people were involved with saddam hussien. Was he not "evil" when rummie was shaking his hand?

Lastly and more importantly, we are supposed to be the good guys.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:11 pm
revel : "Was he not "evil" when rummie was shaking his hand?" . rumsfeld was interviewed about this sometime on TV (i saw the interview). he mumbled something about those being different times etc. etc. ... in other words it was convenient to be allied with saddam at that time. hbg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:12 pm
BBB
I guess its necessary to remind everyone that I was not excusing the Bush administration, the soldiers (and contractors) who committed the torture, nor anyone else. I was only asking the question is it necessary to keep showing new pictures to achieve justice for the abused, or have we and the world seen enough already to know what has to be done?

I was not trying to create a simplistic forum for debating who is bad and who is good among A2Kers. We are not each other's enemies.

If continuing to show new pictures is pursued just to get the Bush administration I think it would endanger the lives of our troops and other non-Moslems around the world. If continuing to show new pictures is necessary because the Bush administration and the Military are not taking appropriate action to stop the abuse and to bring to justice all those guilty all the way to the top of the chain of command, then I would favor continuing to publish new pictures. I would advocate this despite my concern that those in the anti-American movements would use them to further inflame their populations and place our troops in more danger.

Perhaps my question is idealistic and naive. But I think we need to be cautious in these perilous times and not make bad decisions in the heat of outrage passion.

BBB
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:25 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Bill, could you name one person who thought Saddam should still be in power? thats really a pretty silly statement.
Have you read the Thomas Burke quote in my signature line?

I'm not suggesting anyone here endorsed Saddam's rule. I'm suggesting if the anti-war crowd had had their way the conditions at Abu Ghraib would be worse, not better.

C.I.: I was demonstrating that soldiers are perfectly capable of breaking the law without being ordered to do so. I've known few war veterans that didn't have at least one example that would turn your stomach. These orders may have come from above… but then again, they may not have. Those who are already convinced that they did clearly have a predisposition for feeling that way. The parallel proves it.

Revel: Strangely, I feel like I adequately responded to this post with my opening post on this thread. If you are suggesting we should remove all "Saddams", I would agree, but I don't believe that's your point.

BBB: I thought you were quite clear, as well as right.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:29 pm
BBB
Oh dear, knowing that Occum Bill agrees with me makes me tremble in fear that I've lost my marbles and gone over to the enemy.

Shuddering BBB :wink: Drunk
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:52 pm
This new may make BBB change her mind
This news may make me change my mind about not continuing to show additional photos of prisoner abuse. Is the fox going to guard the henhouse? ---BBBMaj. Gen. Geoffrey D. Miller, who headed an expert team that visited the U.S.-run prison west of Baghdad last summer, vehemently denied that his team's suggestions might have contributed to mistreatment by overzealous military police officers there. An internal Army investigation of the abuse has challenged Miller's approach.

"I stand by those recommendations," Miller told journalists here. "Those recommendations were based on a system that provided humane detention, excellent interrogation, all within the bounds of the … Geneva Convention."

Miller promptly proposed a Guantanamo-style interrogation regimen for Iraq. He urged better use of the military police officers who, he noted Saturday, "observe detainees on almost a 24-hour-a-day basis" as part of their job.

"It is essential that the guard force be actively engaged in setting the conditions for successful exploitation of the internees," Miller's team wrote in its assessment after visiting Abu Ghraib and other detention facilities in Iraq during a 10-day trip. It is unclear how many of the recommendations were implemented.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:54 pm
The biggest change may in fact be the banning of cameras from detention centers.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:19 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Oh dear, knowing that Occum Bill agrees with me makes me tremble in fear that I've lost my marbles and gone over to the enemy.

Shuddering BBB :wink: Drunk
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Don't fret; it's a non-partisan agreement. Heck, I've even been known to agree with the Hobit on occasion. Shocked Drunk
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:31 pm
"I'm suggesting if the anti-war crowd had had their way the conditions at Abu Ghraib would be worse, not better." OCCOM BILL

By all accounts, the conditions at Abu Ghraib in post-Saddam Iraq at the hands of the US military is every bit as bad as during Saddam's rule.

Apparently, the right thinks when torture is carried out by the USA, it' acceptable. It's only when someone else does it that it's wrong.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:50 pm
Incorrect on all counts Infowarrior.
1. I'm not the right.
2. Torture is never acceptable.
3. Even torture comes in degrees, and I've heard of no post-Saddam era abuses that don't pale in comparison to pre-war Abu Ghraib.

Get a grip.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:51 pm
Dead is dead, no matter how you cut it. It seems some people have a one way mirror when they look at atrocities committed by the US.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:15 am
Isn't that the truth c.i., it seems to be a case of do as we say not as we do type of deal for the US.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:08 am
Re: Stop publishing torture photos; we get the picture
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I think no more Iraq prison abuse photos should be published to the public. We and the world already get it. More photos will only inflame the situation and create more danger for our troops.

I don't think so, given the American government's stubborn habit never to admit more than is patently obvious from press coverage. Notice how the official reaction changed from "who knows if these pictures are for real" to "this stuff happens, but only in isolated cases" to "Oops! Humilating prisoners has been a deliberate strategy, and American forces in Iraq learned it from American forces on Guantanamo Bay." This is reason for me to believe that the U.S., and especially its government, doesn't get the picture until lots of photographs prove it.

BumbleBeeBogie wrote:
They will not cause any more corrective measures than are already under way. They will only cause more US hatred around the world.

On the other hand, US hatred might just be the appropriate reaction, given what your troops are doing in Iraq. And if escalating outrage forces your troops to withdraw from Iraq, maybe that would count as a "corrective measure" for me -- whether or not such a move is desirable.
0 Replies