Stop publishing torture photos; we get the picture

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:11 am
Re: Hobit
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I'm really so torn over this issue and it is out of character of me to wish no further publishing of new photos. I'm trying to weigh the harm against any good that might come of it.

One point in favor of continued publishing is that the same general Miller who ran Guantanamo and who instituted the same offending policies there is the same general Miller sent to Iraq to clean up the mess that the media exposed.

I commend the media for finally doing it's job. It was way over due. But now I think some restraint is in order. If the media detects that the Bush administration is not taking full responsibility and taking all appropriate legal steps, then I would probably change my mind about continued publishing of photos.

BBB

The media is finally shrugging of over three years of "hooray war" rhetoric, and I applaud them. To back down now would likely end any similar reporting in the near future. To cease further release of information would send a message to the rest of the world that "we" either approve of this behaviour, or wish to cover it up. Yes, this tars Americans with the brush of the war-lovers, but we must swallow our pride and the loss of dignity that comes with it, and allow all the info to be released. Anything less is somplicity with these actions.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:14 am
There are more to come and we, in the US, should be able to see the same thing that the world population sees. At some point in time maybe people will realize that while we honor the military and the job they do for us we can also bear up under those who dishonor us.

I say publish the pictures until those truly responsible for the antics of the young to please older and more seasoned commanders stand up and take their punishment. The civilian contractors that some are saying were directing the soldiers were probably former military special ops under contract to the Defense Department.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:17 am
Hobit
Hobit, you could almost persuade me that I'm wrong if it were not for one thing.

You wrote "Yes, this tars Americans with the brush of the war-lovers, but we must swallow our pride and the loss of dignity that comes with it, and allow all the info to be released. Anything less is somplicity with these actions."

I agree with that position except that the "we" you site are those of us safe in our homes and not on the battlefield. I fear the increased danger to our troops and other US non-combatants abroad. My loss of dignity and pride doesn't mean squat if it increases the number of dead and wounded troops.

BBB
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:46 am
Re: Hobit
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Hobit, you could almost persuade me that I'm wrong if it were not for one thing.

You wrote "Yes, this tars Americans with the brush of the war-lovers, but we must swallow our pride and the loss of dignity that comes with it, and allow all the info to be released. Anything less is somplicity with these actions."

I agree with that position except that the "we" you site are those of us safe in our homes and not on the battlefield. I fear the increased danger to our troops and other US non-combatants abroad. My loss of dignity and pride doesn't mean squat if it increases the number of dead and wounded troops.

BBB

I'm afraid there is nothing we can do about what will likely be an increasing number of American dead. They will pay the price for this mistake. I have many friends and acquaintances over "there" now, and fear for their lives, but this administration has cast the dice, and dame Fortuna is controlling its roll. Nothing we as a people do will make up for this. Bush's words "we do not torture" have been shown to be a lie, and all of us must acept that a debt has been incurred that we, or those we know, must pay.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:14 pm
Why is it that the "Saddam was a monster" angle is always countered by "what about all the other monsters", yet when someone points out that troops commit atrocityies in every war it gets the "2 two wrongs don't make a right, idiot" response. Can anyong name the major offensive where atrocities were not commited on both sides of the ball? I am in no way condoning the deplorable behavior but I am able to reason that it is damn near inevitable. Of course we should take steps to minimize such abuses in the future, but the political witch-hunt that is taking place now is uncalled for and will ultimately change nothing.

The lynch mob mentality that results in things like prisoner torture is a disgusting human trait. It crosses all ideological boundaries. Combatants have learned to treat their enemies as sub-human from the beginning of time. I submit that 9 of 10 people in every culture would consider these barbaric actions disgusting.

It is no fairer to judge the American Soldiers in general by the despicable actions of the few, than it would be to judge all Iraqi's by the worst they have to offer. War is hell. Continually fine-tuning the focus on the ugliness will only promote increased hatred and prolong the suffering for everyone involved.

If the media was truly interested in reducing the ugliness they would spend more time reporting the building of schools, hospitals etc... And do exposé's on the positive things done by Iraqi's as well. Like Bob pointed out, our enemies have provided healthcare to our wounded prisoners, just as we have theirs.

The sad truth is that the promotion of hatred sells newspapers, and peace will not. I applaud BBB for removing the hyper-partisan goggles long enough to realize the truth and consequences of such reporting. We disagree vehemently on whether or not this action will ultimately be good for man and mankind alike. Hate-promoting reporting is another issue altogether.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:18 pm
Bill
If we were not claiming near saint-hood while we teach these backward Arabs about democracy, it might be different. If we do not give an impression of being moral, the people over there are not going to believe our message.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:28 pm
I couldn't agree more Edgar. I've always believed that those who represent the masses and teach our children should be held to a higher standard. Priests, teachers, politicians, cops and soldiers have an increased responsibility to behave in a just fashion and therefore should face increased punishment for offenses. I agree with BBB that the media has already made the case in spades. Further hatemongering will not result in more justice, just more hate.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:30 pm
Bill

As Edgar already said: your army (and the allies) is (are) there, to bring democracy to Iraq.

When this starts with neglecting such basic things as the Geneva Conventiuon - you can built as many schools you want ...

Quote:
Combatants have learned to treat their enemies as sub-human from the beginning of time.

Well, that's what I've learnt now by the media. I wasn't aware of that before - leaving out the time centuries back - , especially not from my time serving and knowing a bit of foreign armed forces as well.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:31 pm
Bil, what you call hatemongering is actually responsible journalism.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:35 pm
I do have mixed feelings about this entire issue, but I also believe that one photo from Vietnam helped turned the war around to get us out and end the damn mess. it was a simple photo of a young girl running down a lane on fire from naplam. ok another photo from the same "war" was a photo of a VC pow (if i remember correctly) being shot in the head while standing blindfolded in a public street. graphic images seem to stick in one's mind when facts are easily sent to the back of the brain and stored as data.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:36 pm
Dys, those are the exact same images the far right often point to when bloviating about how the US was on the "side of liberty and freedom" in Vietnam. Sad
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:43 pm
Dys
Dys, I remember those photos and the effect it had on me. But I already was opposed to the US continuation of the French's colonial war in Viet Nam so they only reinforced my opposition.

How many pictures are enough for the world's attention. I've seen all I need to see. Any more won't change my mind. I doubt that any more will change the minds of those supporting Bush's war.

I would rather find a different way to expose Bush's betrayal of his country than through inflaming hatred that will cost more troop lives. Too many have died already.

BBB
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:44 pm
Considering this unit had a large number of people who are prison guards in civilian life, their actions don't present an even shabbier picture of America?
We accept that such events occur in US prisons with little thought. Should we do so? This story is from the current edition of Denver's "trendy" "alternative" weekly.
Prison Sex
Quote:
But Gardesani says her ordeal wasn't as swift or painless as the investigation it produced. A native of Brazil who speaks four languages but is less than fluent in English, she admits she was reluctant to come forward at first. She was too shocked, she says -- and then too afraid of what the officer could do to her.

"Sergeant Anderson was such a cop -- go by the book and everything," she says. "People were kind of scared of him because he was mean with inmates. He write you up for anything. I was real surprised this happened, because he was the last person I expect it from."

According to Gardesani, she was reading in her cell one day when Anderson came in and "started running his hands all over me. I couldn't believe what was going on." He then left as abruptly as he'd arrived, she says.

On three subsequent visits over the next few weeks, Gardesani says, Anderson took her to the one area of the room not visible from the cell door, bent her over a chair, and had intercourse with her. "I didn't say a word," she says. "I was thinking, 'If I scream, he's going to tell them I'm crazy, and they're going to put me in the hole, put me in special needs, like happen with other inmates.' So I let him do it. I was almost paralyzed. He didn't say too much. He just pulled me to the chair. Then he had sex with me without no protection at all."

Anderson also summoned her to the shift office for private talks, she says: "He said I have a beautiful body, that I am sexy, he wants to **** me, things like that." On one occasion, she adds, he unzipped his pants and exposed himself to her, but the arrival of a female lieutenant prompted a hasty zip-up. ("I got up and said, 'Excuse me, thank you very much,' and I just left. She saved me.")

Throughout it all, Gardesani says, she believed any complaint she might make would lead to retaliation. "He told me several times, 'I can't lose my job, so you don't say nothing,'" she says. "But he has the power, right? He can tell things that I done, and I didn't do it, you know what I mean?"

If this is normal behaviour for American prisons, then perhaps we should not be too surprised by the affair at Abu Ghraib. Torture has been an accepted judicial tool since the dawn of civilization, Refraining from torture an aberration. Are we wrong in feeling some satisfaction that this aberration was (we thought) becoming the norm? Maybe Tarantuals and McGEntrix, and everyone else are right. Maybe we should just nuke anyone we dislike, maybe we should throw out the rule of law altogether. If I dislike you, perhaps I should just kill you. After al, its only natural, and apparently, American. Sad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:50 pm
Re: Dys
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Dys, I remember those photos and the effect it had on me. But I already was opposed to the US continuation of the French's colonial war in Viet Nam so they only reinforced my opposition.

How many pictures are enough for the world's attention. I've seen all I need to see. Any more won't change my mind. I doubt that any more will change the minds of those supporting Bush's war.

I would rather find a different way to expose Bush's betrayal of his country than through inflaming hatred that will cost more troop lives. Too many have died already.

BBB

And many more are going to die, due to the Administration's little outing into Iraq. The best way to ensure that there is an America for the next generation is to continue displaying the evidence. By doing so we demonstrate that we do not condone such actions. In addition, courts martial of the perpetrators should be public, and well reported. Heads also need to roll at the highest levels. The entire administration should go, as should branch chiefs of MI and MP. Lyndsy hayseed and her fellow goons should be locked up and the key thrown away, and should likely be charged with war crimes in the ICC. They should certainly take custody of her child away from her, and from her family! Abu Ghraib should be closed, and bulldozed, and perhaps a marker placed sstating that it was the place where the American Occupation oif Iraq began to fail in earnest.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:50 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
Combatants have learned to treat their enemies as sub-human from the beginning of time.

Well, that's what I've learnt now by the media. I wasn't aware of that before - leaving out the time centuries back - , especially not from my time serving and knowing a bit of foreign armed forces as well.

Really Walter? I don't believe you. You've demonstrated a more profound knowledge of history than I, on many different threads. Use this link to refresh your memory.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:54 pm
Well, that might be - but what I wanted to say, is just that since some hundred years or so, combats have learnt to behave more human.

And now, from the media, I've leant that this isn't obviously everywhere so.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:58 pm
Walter, in GWI many american troops posed dead, charred, Iraqi corpeses into "humourous" positions and photographed them. Those of us who did not participate were disgusted with this, but would likely have been beaten or killed had we said anything. My respect for the military ended with these incidents, when I had been in for less than a year!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 01:09 pm
I "got the point" with the mere knowledge such photoraphs exist. I don't need to examine any of them, since I know what they represent. But, the world will have its spectacle and there are judgements to be made, and the pictures must out, all of them. I don't like it any more than BBB or Bill, but I recognize the necessity.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 01:13 pm
BBB, Look at it this way; the Bushie administration wants to hide most things from the American Public and the world; they were against us seeing those coffins with American flags on them. They are against us seeing those deplorable pictures of the Iraqi prisoners being mistreated by their American soldiers. They do not want any of us to see all the American soldiers coming back with their limbs missing. They want to keep the American People and the world blind, dumb, and stupid, and it works with fifty percent of the American People. It just doesn't work with the rest of the world - and the other half of Americans. We want to see the "truth" and the punishment of those responsible. We want to continue seeing them until they are stopped from all this criminal behavior against humanity. I don't want them to stop showing the truth. I don't want to be shielded from the truth. I want those responsible to pay the ultimate price, and I don't mean the private that are in those pictures.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 01:21 pm
my mother, when frustrated with trying to get my fathers attention would often say "do I have to drop a refridgerator on your head?"
0 Replies