Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 06:42 pm
Does "but if we’re verbing, I think you meant ‘Bill Clinton’d all on my gown,’ not ‘Monica Lewinsky’d.’” mean "but if we're writing (the lyric lines), I think you meant 'Bill Clinton would be all over on my gown', not 'Monica Lewinsky would be all over on Clinton's gown'"?

Context:

Correcting the Record

Lewinsky writes that she is still recognized every day, and her name shows up daily in press clips and pop-culture references. She admits that she used to refer to Maureen Dowd as “Moremean Dowdy,” but “today, I’d meet her for a drink.” And she requests one correction of Beyoncé, regarding the lyrics to her recent hit “Partition”: “Thanks, Beyoncé, but if we’re verbing, I think you meant ‘Bill Clinton’d all on my gown,’ not ‘Monica Lewinsky’d.’”

More:
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2014/05/monica-lewinsky-speaks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 761 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 07:21 pm
@oristarA,
It is a joke.

The word "verb" is not a real verb (it is a noun). However the joke verb "to verb" means to change a noun into a verb.

Monica Lewinsky is famous for having oral sex with then President Bill Clinton. She wore a blue dress which had an infamous semen stain on it that was part of Clinton's legal trouble resulting from the affair.

Beyonce used the noun "Monica Lewinsky" as a verb to mean "spill semen on a dress during oral sex" in one of her raps. The original Beyonce line was "He popped all my buttons, and he ripped my blouse. He Monica Lewinsky-ed all on my gown."

Monica Lewinsky was pointing out that it was wrong to use her name as a verb to mean "spilling semen". It was in fact Bill Clinton who spilled the semen.

The better lyric would be "He Bill Clinton-ed all on my gown".

Ms. Lewinsky has a point.
oristarA

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 07:41 pm
@maxdancona,
Excellent explanation.
I wonder what the word Partition means there.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 08:33 pm
@oristarA,
The lyrics say

Quote:
Driver roll up the partition please
I don't need you seeing yoncé on her knees

She is in a limousine. The partition in this case separates the limousine driver in the front from the passengers in the back.

She is about to give oral sex to her male companion. The partition, when it is up, will prevent the driver from seeing her do this.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 08:35 pm
@maxdancona,
I feel I should say, these lyrics are not very profound or even very good.

Americans don't generally talk this way.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 10:03 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The lyrics say

Quote:
I don't need you seeing yoncé on her knees

She is in a limousine. The partition in this case separates the limousine driver in the front from the passengers in the back.

She is about to give oral sex to her male companion. The partition, when it is up, will prevent the driver from seeing her do this.

Does yoncé refer to herself: Beyonce?
chai2

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 10:54 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, it means Beyonce.
0 Replies

mikaelbeth

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 12:21 am
@oristarA,
What's that?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 01:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Monica Lewinsky was pointing out that it was wrong to use her name as a verb to mean "spilling semen". It was in fact Bill Clinton who spilled the semen.

The better lyric would be "He Bill Clinton-ed all on my gown".

Ms. Lewinsky has a point.

I disagree, Clinton is known for lots of things, Lewinsky only one.
0 Replies