Uhh ohh

Fedral

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:01 am
Jobs jump in April (again)
The unemployment rate ticks down to 5.6%. But the strong numbers also raise fears of an interest-rate increase.

For the second month in row the economy added many more jobs than economists and Wall Street expected, indicating the economy is on a tear.

Nonfarm payrolls rose 288,000 in April, while March's rise in payrolls was revised up to 337,000 from 308,000. The April unemployment rate edged down to 5.6% from 5.7% the month before. Economists, on average, were expecting the economy to add 150,000 jobs, with the unemployment rate remaining steady at 5.7%, according to a survey by CNBC and Dow Jones. February's payroll rise was also bumped up.

The service sector continued to pick up the most steam, adding 246,000 jobs last month. But the beleaguered manufacturing sector also impressed, adding 21,000 jobs, with March revised up to a 9,000 gain from unchanged. Before that, manufacturing lost jobs for 43 consecutive months.

"This economy is in full swing, the job market is right there with it," Mark Zandi, chief economist at Economy.com, told CNBC's "Squawk Box.""It's almost like a light switch went on in boardrooms across the country in the last two or three months. Businesses are confident, they're out hiring and factories are hiring. It's just proof positive that the job market is back."

"It's obviously a very strong number,'' David Wyss, chief economist at Standard & Poor's, told Reuters. "It's good for consumers, but it's a little sign of inflation to the Fed.''

The labor market has been the missing piece in the economic puzzle, lagging behind strong overall growth. For some time, economists pointed to strong productivity numbers, saying they indicated that employers were able to maintain the same amount of output without hiring new bodies.

But the job market finally bucked that trend two months ago, and the March and April back-to-back monthly gains are the biggest in four years.

Link

Whats that light at the end of the tunnel Mr. Kerry?

I believe that its the train thats about to run you over.

Smile Very Happy Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,482 • Replies: 25
No top replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:07 am
Hiring all those torturers is certainly doing wonders for the jobless figures. Cool
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:21 am
Question is, how do those jobs compare to what those people lost?

Many people, IMHO, find themselves "underemployed", working at jobs with significant cuts in salary, benefits or both.

Also, I've read on sites like BuzzFlash and CommonDreams that these figures are NOWHERE near what is needed for a recovery.

Now--go back to the flock--BUSHEEP!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:21 am

Many people, IMHO, find themselves "underemployed", working at jobs with significant cuts in salary, benefits or both.

Also, I've read on sites like BuzzFlash and CommonDreams that these figures are NOWHERE near what is needed for a recovery.

0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:23 am
LOL! That's funny Neoguin.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:01 am
I was talking to a guy at the gym two days ago, who is in the semiconductor business. He said business was booming. Semiconductor sales are a leading indicator of the economy. Barring another 9/11, I think things are really going to take off in the next few months.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:02 am
NeoGuin wrote:

Looking to Commondreams for objective news about anything dealing with the President is like looking to Rush Limbaugh for unbiased news about the Clintons.

I knew this was going to happen though ... we could add 5 million jobs, cut unemployment to near zero and the only thing the Dems would say is ... yes, but NOW we have to worry about salary inflation because everyone is employed !

Some people would bitch if you hung them with a golden rope. Laughing
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:13 am
Excellent news for the 8 to 12 million Americans out of work since Bush won his lawsuit.

Now, an interesting breakdown might include how many of these jobs are part-time and low-level service jobs like burger flippers that the Bush Dept. of Labor wants reclassified as manufacturing jobs.

Also, the seasonal hiring period is approaching as school winds down meaning amusement parks will be needing ticket takers and hot dog sellers, not exactly mid-level to high-level jobs, but in the world of George W. Bush, I suppose beggars can't be choosers.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:18 am
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040507/thumb.sge.odn83.070504152015.photo00.default-368x277.jpg My priorities are the economy and...err...jobs.

A few days ago a radio commentator was saying this was going to be a bad week for John Kerry. The commentator said he could tell it was going to be a bad week because today was Monday. Laughing
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:24 am
As I said,

Excellent news for the 8 to 12 million Americans out of work since Bush won his lawsuit.

Now, an interesting breakdown might include how many of these jobs are part-time and low-level service jobs like burger flippers that the Bush Dept. of Labor wants reclassified as manufacturing jobs.

Also, the seasonal hiring period is approaching as school winds down meaning amusement parks will be needing ticket takers and hot dog sellers, not exactly mid-level to high-level jobs, but in the world of George W. Bush, I suppose beggars can't be choosers.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:00 am
Tarantulas wrote:
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040507/thumb.sge.odn83.070504152015.photo00.default-368x277.jpg My priorities are the economy and...err...jobs.

A few days ago a radio commentator was saying this was going to be a bad week for John Kerry. The commentator said he could tell it was going to be a bad week because today was Monday. Laughing

Just what is up with that dude's hair?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:40 am
Cav wrote

Quote:
Just what is up with that dude's hair?

I dunno, but it was in the papers a week or so ago that he recently paid an upscale hairdresser $1000 to make it look like that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:42 am
Fedral wrote:
Quote:
Some people would bitch if you hung them with a golden rope.

Yes, and some who are drowning would bitch if the rope you threw them wasn't golden.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:47 am
My hairdresser can do a better job for under $80, and that's at a salon where I get free espresso. Laughing
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:08 pm
You pay around $80 for a haircut? Sheesh you need to move to Albuquerque. Our hairdressers charge $6.50 to about $12.00
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:15 pm
Foxfyre, I get my hair cut maybe once a year. It's always been long. I figure it balances out as I don't do the monthly or weekly thing.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:15 pm
Still, 80 bucks is way less than a thousand.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:24 pm
That's true. But I bet JF Kerry's net worth is a tad more than yours too Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:28 pm
I would assume so too Foxfyre, seeing as I barely have a net worth. Laughing I still maintain that it was a waste of a thousand dollars. It has a sort of "Hi, you may remember me from such movies as...." ring about it.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 01:27 pm
* Theme from The Addams Family plays in the background *
0 Replies