John Kerry admits committing Vietnam atrocities

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:39 pm
Someone was asking about this but I don't recall which thread it was in. This is what I remember hearing on a radio talk show.

http://www.wintersoldier.com/video/kerryMTP.wmv
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,842 • Replies: 59
No top replies

mporter

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:41 pm
So Kerry committed VietNam atrocities and Bush commanded the Armies which committed the Iraq atrocities. What's the difference?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:00 pm
Tu quoque

This is the famous "you too" fallacy. It occurs if you argue that an action is acceptable because your opponent has performed it. For instance:

"You're just being randomly abusive."

"So? You've been abusive too."

This is a personal attack, and is therefore a special case of Argumentum ad Hominem.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:11 pm
Tarantulas,

mporter is a staunch conservative, he's just pulling legs.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:14 pm
Mr. DeKere: I am afraid you are mistaken. Would a conservative send a $100.00 contribution to the Nader campaign?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:32 pm
He might. What's the address?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:34 pm
It was me, I think. That clip isn't captioned... do you have a transcript (or would you mind transcribing it?)

Thanks.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:52 pm
It has audio and subtitles. I didn't see a transcript. Are you having trouble opening it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:56 pm
Oh, subtitles, really? I had to download something and had a window open that said my security settings didn't like it. Usually Windows media clips aren't captioned.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:42 am
He admits to committing atrocities insofar as he participated in normal American military actions at the time. He regards many military "routine" actions of the conflict as illegal and contrary to the Geneva convention. He also, as a young man, regarded many of these "normal" actions as genocidal - an accusation that, as a more mature man, he no longer considers warranted.

The tape gave me more respect for Kerry than I had before.

The header to this thread is misleading, in my view.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:43 am
I had no worries with the downloaded material, Soz.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:47 am
Tarantulas wrote:
Tu quoque

This is the famous "you too" fallacy. It occurs if you argue that an action is acceptable because your opponent has performed it. For instance:

"You're just being randomly abusive."

"So? You've been abusive too."

This is a personal attack, and is therefore a special case of Argumentum ad Hominem.

This from a staunch supporter of the "anything I do is okay because Clinton got a blow job" clan......
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:58 am
Actually, Kerry should be arrested for War Crimes since he admitted to purposely shooting women and children and raising villages. The reason there isn't more outcry for it is because he said he was sorry and aparently that is all it takes to be forgiven, unless you are a republican.
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:02 am
A ridiculous and inflamatory thread. I wonder why the moderators allowed this on the board? At very least, lock it from further activity.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:04 am
Green- because this thread is how great Kerry is and how bad Bush is, it will be allowed to continue. That seems to be the overall tone of a2k
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:08 am
Because you have the option of not reading it.

This is tame compared to the multitude of threads bashing Bush and the current government, yet I don't recall any complaints from you on those threads...odd.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:24 am
Well, he didn't use his family connections to avoid it!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:21 am
greenumbrella wrote:
A ridiculous and inflamatory thread. I wonder why the moderators allowed this on the board? At very least, lock it from further activity.

John Kerry wrote:
I would have to say that, that yes, yes I committed the same kind of atrocities that thousands of other soldiers have committed...

What's inflammatory or ridiculous about the thread? I want to know why you said this.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:27 am
Surely those who voted for the Bush administration were committing atrocities against the American people? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:36 am
I am proud of John Kerry for being brave enough to admit that he committed those acts and coming home and telling the world. He could have said that he saw others commit those acts, but he honorable didn't. What he did was admit that he committed them as well and then he went on to tell what other have said they have committed as well.

People do things, that is sometimes forgivable. What is not forgivable is at first refusing to admit that some action is wrong in the first place, and in the second place you didn't commit them if they were wrong.

If Bush came on TV and just admitted that the Iraq was an excercise in exploring an idealogical dream that has gone horribly bad, I would forgive him too if he was willing to do whatever it takes to (at least) try to fix it. But I don't hold my breath.
0 Replies