Is this Women's Lib gone too far?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,798 • Replies: 82
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:32 pm
No, mainly because it has only the most superficial (i.e. she's a woman, she's in the army) connection to feminism.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:32 pm
Only in the same sense that all men who degraded and humiliated the prisoners represent men's lib gone too far.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 05:50 am
I dunno. I read a fascinating piece today, which I put on another thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24335

I think that we need to look at what has happened from the point of view of the culture of the people who were subjected to these humiliations.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 05:53 am
Just because a woman is in the army, that doesn't mean she's a feminist. Not necessarily anyway.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:00 am
A graduate of the Tonya Harding charm school no doubt......except Tonya is more attractive.....
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:07 am
There is a tendency for children in abusuve families to 'abuse' their dogs.

This picture seems to me to be that of a child (gender unimportant) abusing the only available 'thing' lower than her on the heirarchical totem pole.

[please note this is NOT meant to equate a prisoner to the level of a domestic animal - especially in light of such overt abuse]

The 'fault here lies with the whole 'system' which makes such scenes 'possible'!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:16 am
Sorry BoGoWo....I have to respectfully disagree.....in families of this type the tendency and possibility for this type of behavior may exist, but individuals have choices.

This girl is just a scumbag along with the rest of the scumbags involved, from top to bottom.

In the final analysis, pigs go can be found wallowing in mud and **** for one reason and one reason only. That's where they like it. IMO
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:25 am
!
This depraved retard enoyed her work just a bit too much. She had those pics taken as suveniers of her vacation in Iraq. Among the pics were also non- humilitiation ones that most normal people take of an adventure. These photos were not meant for the press but for these idiot's personal photo album. Then they were so proud that they showed them around. One guy they showed them to didn't ind them amusing and took a few to his commanding officer and that guy took them to higher up who sat on them for months until he knew that more were surfacing and would get to the Media.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:31 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
.......This girl is just a scumbag along with the rest of the scumbags involved, from top to bottom........

BP; i did not mean to defend the offender; merely explain somewhat, and enlarge the 'blame'.
Undoubtedly; growing up is going beyond the decadence in one's 'programming'
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:33 am
A lot of men pay for this kind of service in godless America.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:39 am
BoGoWo wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
.......This girl is just a scumbag along with the rest of the scumbags involved, from top to bottom........

BP; i did not mean to defend the offender; merely explain somewhat, and enlarge the 'blame'.
Undoubtedly; growing up is going beyond the decadence in one's 'programming'

sorry bogowo, didn't mean to sound adversarial there ((((BEAR HUG)))))
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:40 am
ouch!

there go those ribs again!! :wink:
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:55 am
cavfancier wrote:

HOW MUCH do they pay, generally (inquiring from a strictly clinical perspective...)

BTW, Our Girl in Abu Ghraib is a reservist from West Virginia (control your regional slurs, please) named Lynndie England.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:57 am
PDiddie wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

HOW MUCH do they pay, generally (inquiring from a strictly clinical perspective...)

BTW, Our Girl in Abu Ghraib is a reservist from West Virginia (control your regional slurs, please) named Lynndie England.

Well, by the looks of her, maybe $50. The price goes up if they are better looking.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:26 am
What is this stunning prejudice against West Virginia, or trailers, or whatever?

I think this **** lies in all our hearts, pray providence it is never awakened.

Some of us have various privileges of intelligence, or happy circumstances, or education, or something, that make it harder to awaken, or easier to control.

To attempt to deny our own connection to such behaviour, and project it onto West Virginians, or Jews, or Muslims, or homosexuals or what-the-ferk-ever seems to me to be denial and ostrich-head-in-the-sand behaviour and thinking of a ridiculous kind.

I cannot believe the prejudiced stuff that is being happily spread around this site at present by many of the folk I admire most.

Personally, I gaze into the abyss, and see myself looking back.

What about you?

I am sorry - but I find this vilification of a whole class of folk intolerable.

How many "West Virginian trailer-trash" or whatever DIDN'T engage in atrocities - and how many "nice" folk did?

I do not know. Do you?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:42 am
dlowan wrote:
I am sorry - but I find this vilification of a whole class of folk intolerable.

How many "West Virginian trailer-trash" or whatever DIDN'T engage in atrocities - and how many "nice" folk did?

I do not know. Do you?

But vilification is soooo much easier!

It is seemingly standard practice around here. Nary a political thread exists where it isn't present.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:45 am
Quote:
Personally, I gaze into the abyss, and see myself looking back.

dlowan- I agree. I think that you hit the nail right on the head. It is so much easier for folks to blame something on "those people". It helps create a distance from something that is most uncomfortable to contemplate.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:54 am
Well, as silly as I often sound, I joke about posts like this precisely to not vilify anyone. Remove the political context from the photo, and all the prejudice, and it's a damn funny picture. I make fun, because otherwise I'd get really really angry at how propoganda like this is used, not just here, but in general. There is no such thing as a war where only one side has blood on their hands. That's why I find it futile to discuss in a serious manner.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:23 am
dlowan wrote:
What is this stunning prejudice against West Virginia, or trailers, or whatever?

They're raising the drinking age in West Virginia to 32 in an attempt to keep alcohol out of the high schools.

What do they call 500 West Virginians in a swimming pool?
The Bay of Pigs.

Why does West Virginia have the lowest suicide rate in the country?
You can't get killed jumping from the window of a basement apartment.
0 Replies