Donald Sterling

firefly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:20 pm
The players don't want Mrs Sterling either...
Quote:

Representatives of the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) have said repeatedly that while they are pleased with the term of the punishment handed down by Silver, they still believe Sterling — and his family members — must be replaced by a new ownership group.

“We want maximum allowable punishment under the bylaws and constitution and what that equates to for us as players, there must be a change in ownership,” said Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, who is acting as an adviser for the NBPA.

“As players, we’re very happy with the decision, but we’re not content yet,” NBPA vice president Roger Mason Jr. said. “We want immediate action. We want a timetable from the owners on when this vote is going to happen. We feel confident that with Adam Silver’s urging, and we’ve heard from a lot of the owners around the league, we think this is something that can be handled quickly.”

Johnson reiterated this week that the Clippers players expect an entirely new ownership next season.

“Those guys are not going to play for anybody (named) Sterling,” Johnson said, according to USA Today Sports. “It’s just how it is. It’s hard to separate the two. … It’s going to be hard for them to sell that to the fans and definitely to the players.”

Clippers coach Doc Rivers has refused to commit to returning next season as he waits for the transition to sort itself out. Although he initially expressed a compassionate approach towards Shelly Sterling, given Stiviano’s role in the controversy, he has also indicated that he would her presence would make things “very difficult” next season.

“I don’t even want to comment on it because I don’t know yet,” Rivers said, according to ESPN.com. “I think it would be a very hard situation, I’ll say that much. I think it would be very difficult. I guarantee you every person wouldn’t be on board with it. Whether I would or not, I’m not going to say, I just know that would be a very difficult situation for everybody.”
http://nba.si.com/2014/05/11/shelly-sterling-donald-sterling-clippers-owner-fight/
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:24 pm
@Lash,
Just wait a minute. I get the earrings. Back off.
firefly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I have loads of earrings, I want the visor.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140430203431-erin-pkg-moos-v-stiviano-visor-00022427-horizontal-gallery.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:31 pm
@firefly,
You can have it, I crave light.. in visors.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 05:38 am
@hawkeye10,
That bring up another interesting question while the NBA is claiming the right to placed whoever they care to in charge of the Clipper finances unless there is a court order why would banks and so on honor their claimed rights to take control of Clipper assets?

Seem that would result in placing such financial institutions in harm way if the courts would later ruled against their right to have seized control of the team in the first place.

Would they need to placed a bond with the banks to do so?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 06:36 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
The players don't want Mrs Sterling either...
Does it MATTER, whether employees like the owner's wife?
Can thay find a better place to work ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 06:40 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Isn't Sterling still responsible for coming up with the money?
"Responsible" to whom????? By what authority??

Do YOU know what is in his contracts????
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 06:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

That is both amazing and amusing that players are claiming some veto rights over ownership matters.

If I was an owner of a NBA team I would not be happy over the can of worms that Silver had pen.

Be that as it may if players refused to play given their contracts they would have no right to sign up with another team so they would be seeing many hundreds of thousands of dollars lost with every game they missed.

Hell if Sterling is placed back in charge of the Clippers they would either play or see the ending of their careers with Sterling replacing them with far cheaper players.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 06:51 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

This guy said:
Quote:
Judging by your response and Lash's response, this is just one of these types of forums where it's a deal with it attitude as opposed to understanding my frustration with bigotry.

For any innocent stumbling through this bullshit later, I'd like to say this guy's inference about me suggesting that he "deal with...[...]bigotry" was incorrect and without substantiation. I just told him I'm not here to plow through the pages attacking every racist comment by a white person when he suggested in all caps that we were racists if we didn't. (basically)
Maybe he can find a forum where everyone agrees with HIM.
He can start a website BASED ON THAT CRITERION.

Here, anyone can argue his or her respective point of vu,
or emigrate, as he has opted to do. I recognize his freedom to do so.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 06:58 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

DAVID wrote:

That is both amazing and amusing that players are claiming some veto rights over ownership matters.

If I was an owner of a NBA team I would not be happy over the can of worms that Silver had pen.

Be that as it may if players refused to play given their contracts they would have no right to sign up with another team so they would be seeing many hundreds of thousands of dollars lost with every game they missed.

Hell if Sterling is placed back in charge of the Clippers they would either play or see the ending of their careers with Sterling replacing them with far cheaper players.
Is this dispute between Sterling and Silver ?

Your points are well taken and quite amusing, Bill.

David

engineer

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 07:18 am
Liberal talk show host Bill Maher on Sterling:

"Last week when President Obama was asked about the Sterling episode, he said, 'When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, just let them talk.' But Sterling didn't advertise," Maher explained, "He was bugged. And while he may not be worth defending, the 4th Amendment is."

"So let me get this straight, we should concede that there's no such thing anymore as a private conversation, so therefore remember to 'lawyer' everything you say before you say it, and hey, speaking your mind was overrated anyway, so you won't miss it. Well, I'll miss it, I'll miss it a lot."

BillRM

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 07:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Given that the owners had yet to rarify his actions to date he is acting under the powers that he claimed the charter grant him.

In the past Stirling had sued personally a commission that fine him 25 millions for a 100 millions and the matter was settle by reducing the fine to 2 millions or so.
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 07:28 am
@engineer,
Quote:
"So let me get this straight, we should concede that there's no such thing anymore as a private conversation, so therefore remember to 'lawyer' everything you say before you say it, and hey, speaking your mind was overrated anyway, so you won't miss it. Well, I'll miss it, I'll miss it a lot."

You and by the last polls on the subject the majority of the population have a problem with Silver actions over a private conversation.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 07:48 am
From his last interview he sound like he feel that he is too old and too tired to fight even if his wife is more the willing to do so.

Hell of a precedent to be set without challenge and once more if I was an owner I would not be happy about the idea that my ownership rights could be removed in such a manner over a private conversation that was likely illegally recorded.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 07:52 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
You made a very good statement, and I understand your resentments. I must say that I have questioned black associates about the criminal actions of other blacks.

These associates could have just as well asked me about the actions
of white mass murderers like George Bush.
FOR THE RECORD: I will raise my voice in rejection of that nonsense,
and in my gratitude for W 's removal of Saddam, as I requested.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 07:57 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Liberal talk show host Bill Maher on Sterling:

"Last week when President Obama was asked about the Sterling episode, he said, 'When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, just let them talk.' But Sterling didn't advertise," Maher explained, "He was bugged. And while he may not be worth defending, the 4th Amendment is."

Thank u for pointing that out.
I was not aware of that.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 08:06 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Given that the owners had yet to rarify his actions
From Dictionary.com

rarify

verb
to make more complex, intricate, or richer;
"refine a design or pattern" [syn: complicate]

Did u mean: yet to RATIFY his actions ?

David
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 08:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Did u mean: yet to RATIFY his actions ?

Yes
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 10:00 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
That bring up another interesting question while the NBA is claiming the right to placed whoever they care to in charge of the Clipper finances unless there is a court order why would banks and so on honor their claimed rights to take control of Clipper assets?

Seem that would result in placing such financial institutions in harm way if the courts would later ruled against their right to have seized control of the team in the first place.

Would they need to placed a bond with the banks to do so?

You really should read the articles that have been posted that explain what "owning" an NBA team means--it's not like ownership of wholly private property, it's not like owning a piece of real estate. The NBA does control the rights to ownership of teams.

No one can "seize control" of this team--the way a bank can repossess a house. The entire issue here is about forcing a sale.

And, until a transfer of ownership is made, Sterling still owns the team, and he has to honor his financial responsibilities, like meeting payroll. If he fails to do that, and causes financial harm, the other owners have even more clear-cut reason, under the NBA constitution, to approve a forced sale of his team.

The new interim CEO of the Clippers, Richard Parsons, will run the team and handle that aspect of it.
Quote:
Parsons will oversee all departments but is expected to let Coach Doc Rivers, who runs the basketball operation, continue in that role...

Parsons’ duties will presumably include liaising with Sterling, who will write the checks and bank the profits until the NBA proves successful in prying his fingers off the franchise.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markheisler/2014/05/09/nba-expeced-to-name-former-citi-time-warner-head-parsons-as-clipper-ceo/

You continue to display your ignorance about this situation.

0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 12 May, 2014 10:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Advocate wrote:
You made a very good statement, and I understand your resentments. I must say that I have questioned black associates about the criminal actions of other blacks.

These associates could have just as well asked me about the actions
of white mass murderers like George Bush.
FOR THE RECORD: I will raise my voice in rejection of that nonsense,
and in my gratitude for W 's removal of Saddam, as I requested.

David

There is no nonsense in my post. There was no need to enter into this horrible war in Iraq to take out a man who was not a threat to us. Bush lied us into the war, falsely alleging Saddam's possession of WMD, yellow cake, etc. The truth is that Bush and Cheney, his fellow oil man, were after Iraq's oil. They even created a map showing a division of the country's oil recources between the US oil companies.

We had a couple hundred thousand dead and wounded, and it was ten times worse for Iraq.

Your defense of this shows what an insane extremist you are.