Donald Sterling

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:59 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Poor firefly and her group had been trying to run me off for over a decade now so do not get mad at her she been doing her very best.

were you a member here under another name before your current moniker?

or are you really bad at arithmetic (forget math)?
firefly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:08 pm
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
See my point in Bill's response? Anyway I'm officially done. Excuse me while I hop to another forum where I actually belong

You belong here too.

Just try to ignore BillRM, as much as possible. Reasoning with him won't work. Others here are listening to you, and hearing you, and enjoying your insights and contributions.

So, I hope you hop back here soon.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:09 pm
@Buttermilk,
This guy said:
Quote:
Judging by your response and Lash's response, this is just one of these types of forums where it's a deal with it attitude as opposed to understanding my frustration with bigotry.

For any innocent stumbling through this bullshit later, I'd like to say this guy's inference about me suggesting that he "deal with...[...]bigotry" was incorrect and without substantiation. I just told him I'm not here to plow through the pages attacking every racist comment by a white person when he suggested in all caps that we were racists if we didn't. (basically)
BillRM

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
were you a member here under another name before your current moniker?

No and no..........as six years seems like forever when dealing with the likes of firefly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:28 pm
@Lash,
I like buttermilk, what a mouth, but you are so ready to take offense sans listening. No, not re Sterling but re if any of us are even listening to the zillionth ugly post that someone posts here
BillRM

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:30 pm
This could be in the courts for the next 100 years at least.

Quote:
e NBA issued a statement Sunday saying that any interests Shelly Sterling may have in the L.A. Clippers would be terminated if the NBA's owners vote to force her husband, Donald Sterling, to sell the team.

"Under the NBA Constitution, if a controlling owner's interest is terminated by a three-fourths vote, all other team owners' interests are automatically terminated as well,” NBA spokesman Mike Bass said in a statement. “It doesn't matter whether the owners are related as is the case here. These are the rules to which all NBA owners agreed to as a condition of owning their team."

The NBA recently banned Sterling for life from the league and levied a $2.5-million fine against him for racial remarks he made that were caught on tape.

But Shelly Sterling has maintained that she is legally entitled to maintain ownership of the Clippers. Her attorney, Pierce O'Donnell, issued the following statement Sunday in response to the NBA.

lRelated Donald Sterling apologizes, declares 'I am not a racist'
L.A. NOW
Donald Sterling apologizes, declares 'I am not a racist'
SEE ALL RELATED
"We do not agree with the league's self-serving interpretation of its constitution, its application to Shelly Sterling or its validity under these unique circumstances,” he said. “We live in a nation of laws. California law and the United States Constitution trump any such interpretation."

Shelly Sterling recently described her long tenure as a "die-hard" fan of the team and said she believes that the sanctions against her husband do not apply to "me or my family."

When NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Donald Sterling's punishment, he said there had been "no decisions about other members of the Sterling family," adding: "This ruling applies specifically to Donald Sterling and Donald Sterling's conduct only."

Related story: Donald Sterling's wife hasn't escaped controversy either
Related story: Donald Sterling's wife hasn't escaped controversy either
Nathan Fenno
But Silver also said that when it comes to a vote on future ownership, fellow NBA board members would consider Sterling's "overall fitness to be an owner in the NBA," which would "take into account a lifetime of behavior."

The team is held in a family trust, and sources familiar with the Clippers say they believe that Shelly Sterling has equal ownership with her husband and each takes control if the other dies. Sterling paid $12.5 million for the team in 1981, but experts have said recently the team could be sold for $1 billion or more.

In an interview with ABC's Barbara Walters that aired Sunday, Shelly Sterling said she may eventually divorce Donald Sterling and will fight efforts to force her to sell her share of the L.A. Clippers.

She also suggested Donald Sterling is suffering from dementia, which she said could explain a recording in which he reportedly tells a female friend not to associate with black people.

"I was shocked by what he said," Shelly Sterling told Walters. "But I don't know why I should be punished for what his actions were."

The NBA responded to the recordings by banning Donald Sterling for life and saying it would seek to force him to sell the team. But Shelly Sterling said she sees the Clippers as part of her family legacy.

"I'm wondering if a wife of one of the owners, and there's 30 owners, did something like that, said those racial slurs, would they oust the husband? Or would they leave the husband in?" she said.

Shelly Sterling also suggested that her husband might want to transfer full ownership of the team to her. As for their future as a couple, she said she had considered divorcing him for years but has not made any final decisions.

Also Sunday, Donald Sterling sat down for an interview with Anderson Cooper, which is set to air on CNN Monday. In transcripts released by CNN, Sterling apologized for his remarks about African Americans, asked for forgiveness and said he would like to hold onto the team.

The interviews with the Sterlings come more than a week after Walters talked with the woman at the center of the scandal, V. Stiviano.

Stiviano said Sterling feels alone and isolated after being banned from the NBA over recorded comments in which he tells her not to associate with black people.

When Walters asked Stiviano if Sterling was a racist, she replied: "No, I don't believe it in my heart."

Stiviano noted that Sterling, 50 years her senior, is of a different generation. She said she didn't take his comments about blacks as bigoted.

Still, Stiviano said Sterling should apologize for what he said.

Lash

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:35 pm
@BillRM,
Stiviano says Sterling's comments weren't racist. I demand her earrings and matching bangles.
Lash

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Exactly. I don't think he really heard you say that most people don't even see those guys' postings - and to swipe every white person on the thread who didn't speak up about it was a bit much....but he's young, I guess.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:38 pm
@Buttermilk,
I suppose I should answer this. No, I don't read Bill.
BillRM

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:47 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
but he's young, I guess.

The words that come to my mind Drunk is young and stupid for some reason. Drunk

Amazing concept that he feel that others have a duty to censor anyone who does not share his world view and even take them to task for not doing so.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:47 pm
The Sterlings divorcing will likely further slow the NBA down in the courts.
BillRM

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I suppose I should answer this. No, I don't read Bill.

Your poor person how sad for you.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 10:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The Sterlings divorcing will likely further slow the NBA down in the courts.

The Sterlings aren't divorcing any time soon, judging by what she just told Barbara Walters.
Quote:
The lack of communication between Rochelle and Donald Sterling led Walters to question whether she plans to file for divorce.

"For the last 20 years, I've been seeing attorneys for a divorce," she said, laughing. "In fact, I have here-- I just filed-- I was going to file the petition. I signed the petition for a divorce. And it came to almost being filed. And then, my financial advisor and my attorney said to me, 'Not now.'"

Sterling added that she thinks the stalling of the divorce stems from "financial arrangements."

But she said "Eventually, I'm going to."
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/abc-news-exclusive-donald-sterlings-estranged-wife/story?id=23673962

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 10:43 pm
And the noises Mrs Sterling is making, about trying to keep control of the team, may deter corporate sponsors from returning, or becoming involved with the Clippers.
Quote:
Clippers sponsors slow to return despite NBA ban of Donald Sterling
May 9, 2014

The NBA has banned L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life, but that's not good enough for many advertisers and sponsors..

Nearly 20 brands suspended or terminated their sponsorships of the Clippers after the release of a recording in which Sterling, 80, scolded a female friend for associating with black people in public. The prospects for their return hit a major snag this week when Sterling's wife, Shelly Sterling, announced that she would fight to keep control of the team.

Her involvement puts the NBA — and advertisers — in an awkward position. The ban applies only to her husband, but local civil rights leaders are threatening to boycott the team if his wife retains ownership. And if Shelly Sterling takes her claim to court, the Clippers could be in limbo for years.

Sponsors won't want to wait out the instability, said AJ Maestas, president of sports sponsorship analytics firm Navigate Research. Although Shelly Sterling has publicly condemned her husband's comments, she bears a name that has already proved to be toxic to advertisers and is "tied to this situation, beyond her control," he said.

"If there's a negative perception of that last name, fair or not, sponsors aren't going to want to associate with it," Maestas said. "They're not going to risk damaging their brand just because Shelly Sterling might have a good legal argument."

Until Sterling's ownership is resolved, money that flows into the team's coffers winds up in Sterling's pockets — a reality that's difficult for some advertisers to stomach.

"Even though the commissioner has made it very clear that Sterling is out, the perception and the negativity that has developed is something the brands will be very cautious about," said Chris Cakebread, a professor of advertising at Boston University.

Many Clippers sponsors are big spenders when it comes to marketing. Sprint last year shelled out nearly $766 million on various advertising campaigns, while State Farm's total was nearly $627 million, said advertising and media research company Kantar Media.

The average NBA team has 130 sponsors and about $20 million in annual sponsorship revenue, according to Maestas of Navigate. The Clippers have not disclosed their revenue from advertising and sponsorships.

When golfer Tiger Woods was embroiled in a sex scandal, he lost roughly 30% of his endorsement money, according to Navigate. The Clippers could lose up to 40% if the Sterling controversy drags on.

After NBA Commissioner Adam Silver came down hard on the team's billionaire owner last week — banning him from all games, issuing a $2.5-million fine and moving to strip him of ownership — a few companies, including Samsung and Kia Motors America, resumed their sponsorship of the Clippers.

But many are still waiting on the sidelines, wary of backing a team that Sterling continues to control, at least in name.

Burger King has yet to resume its business relationship with the Clippers, saying it was "working to determine our course of action."

State Farm, which had all of its in-stadium signs removed along with Clippers-specific online and radio spots, said it was "continuing the pause of our sponsorship of the Clippers organization as we evaluate this ongoing situation."

Virgin America, the Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians and CarMax have also declined to return as sponsors for now. CarMax, which had sponsored the Clippers for nine years, said it would "welcome the opportunity to discuss future sponsorship if this matter is fully resolved."

Sprint said it was pleased with the NBA sanctions but would continue suspending its marketing activities with the Clippers. The telecommunications company had court-side displays, LED ads on the concourse level of Staples Center and public address announcements at the arena.

"One of the things we'll consider as we evaluate that relationship is what ends up happening with respect to the ownership of the Clippers, which remains unclear at this point," Sprint spokesman Dave Mellin said. "Unless there is further action taken regarding ownership of the team, we will continue to suspend our marketing activity."

Mellin declined to say whether Sprint had to pay a termination fee for pausing its sponsorship, saying the company doesn't discuss financial terms for competitive reasons.

Constellation Brands, parent of the Corona beer brand, was much more blunt.

"At this time, we will not restore our relationship with the team as long as Donald Sterling is still the owner," the company said in a statement.

Backing away from the team seems to have helped some brands. In the days after TMZ released the Sterling recording, public perception of companies that suspended their Clippers marketing efforts improved substantially, according to sentiment tracking service YouGov BrandIndex.

"When they take a very public and quick stance condemning something that is universally despised, it's like a public rally behind each of those brands," said Drew Kerr, a YouGov spokesman.

Advertisers have a tough choice to make. Pulling ads means losing the chance to tout products to consumers, a big missed opportunity now that the Clippers have emerged from the shadows of rival Los Angeles Lakers. The Clippers are in the playoffs, the Lakers are not.

But with many fans incensed by Sterling's remarks, an appearance of close ties to the team could seriously damage a brand's reputation. That's especially true in the age of social media, when corporate missteps are lambasted and ridiculed online.

Social media "is like a forest fire: very easy to ignite, very hard to extinguish. And once perceptions are developed, it's tough for the brands," Cakebread said. "It takes time for them to build up again."

Backing away from the team seems to have helped some brands. In the days after TMZ released the Sterling recording, public perception of companies that suspended their Clippers marketing efforts improved substantially, according to sentiment tracking service YouGov BrandIndex.

"When they take a very public and quick stance condemning something that is universally despised, it's like a public rally behind each of those brands," said Drew Kerr, a YouGov spokesman.

Advertisers have a tough choice to make. Pulling ads means losing the chance to tout products to consumers, a big missed opportunity now that the Clippers have emerged from the shadows of rival Los Angeles Lakers. The Clippers are in the playoffs, the Lakers are not.

But with many fans incensed by Sterling's remarks, an appearance of close ties to the team could seriously damage a brand's reputation. That's especially true in the age of social media, when corporate missteps are

Social media "is like a forest fire: very easy to ignite, very hard to extinguish. And once perceptions are developed, it's tough for the brands," Cakebread said. "It takes time for them to build up again."

The easiest solution for many is to simply stay away, he said.

Faced with the loss of millions of dollars, the NBA has been trying to woo back reluctant companies. During last week's news conference, Silver encouraged marketers to judge the league on its response to the incident.

A handful brands have come back, but with caveats.

Yokohama Tire quickly reinstated its sponsorship of the Clippers after Silver's news conference, but mandated that half of its 2014 NBA playoff sponsorship funds be earmarked to charities dedicated to anti-discrimination and tolerance efforts instead of going to the organization.

Red Bull followed with a similar approach. For the remainder of the postseason, the Clippers must donate half of the funds the team is set to receive from the energy drink brand to the anti-discrimination charities that Silver named as beneficiaries of Sterling's $2.5-million fine. Red Bull also dictated that the rest of its sponsorship proceeds be used exclusively to run the team, according to a statement.

Adidas also returned to its contract, but replaced its usual ads and logo placements with the Clippers logo and the phrase "We Are One" during the team's April 29 game in an effort "to support the team and fans in the healing process."

The NBA is now selling "We Are One" T-shirts from Adidas, with all proceeds going toward anti-discrimination and tolerance organizations.

Richard D. Parsons, the newly named interim chief executive of the Clippers, could help soothe sponsors' fears, said David M. Carter, executive director of USC's Marshall Sports Business Institute.

"He would be an influencer to the extent that he can deliver a sense of stability and coherent strategy going forward — the fact that he's a minority is a plus," Carter said. "But the issue that still arises is that as long as Mrs. Sterling is involved, it adds to uncertainty. Sponsors are going to have to measure those two factors against each other."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sterling-advertisers-20140510-story.html#page=1
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 10:50 pm
@firefly,
That clashes in my memory of the original article in SI - he is the majority owner and she has no power/say, and therefore goes away along with him.

(What do I know, just saying. I figure a fight.)
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 10:55 pm
@firefly,
I have seen nowhere any indication that the NBA intends to inject capital to keep the franchise afloat during the ownership conflict that they are creating. Seems to me that this would be a whole new lawsuit from Sterling, as he has been forbidden from operating the team. I think that the NBA (AKA owners) will be forced to back fill all revenue shortages.
firefly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think that's what Richard Parsons, the new Clippers CEO, will be overseeing.
firefly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
The NBA issued a statement on Sunday in response to Shelly Sterling’s interview.

“Under the NBA Constitution, if a controlling owner’s interest is terminated by a 3/4 vote, all other team owners’ interests are automatically terminated as well,” a league spokesman said. “It doesn’t matter whether the owners are related as is the case here. These are the rules to which all NBA owners agreed to as a condition of owning their team.”

Within an hour, Shelly Sterling’s counsel had issued a response to the league’s statement.

“We do not agree with the league’s self-serving interpretation of its constitution, its application to Shelly Sterling or its validity under these unique circumstances,” the statement read. “We live in a nation of laws. California law and the United States Constitution trump any such interpretation.”...

Michael McCann reported for SI.com on Saturday that the NBA believes it has the legal standing to remove both Sterlings as owners.

Shelly Sterling’s ownership of the Clippers should not be confused with control of the Clippers. This distinction reflects the different layers of NBA ownership. Most NBA owners are not in charge of their teams. They have been approved by the NBA to own some percentage of a franchise, but they do not represent their franchise on the NBA’s Board of Governors and are not considered the official voice of their franchises. They are regarded as “non-controlling” owners. There are many perks to being a non-controlling owner, including attendance privileges, inside access to team operations and the ability to tell the world that you own an NBA team. But actual control over the team is not one of those benefits. Shelly Sterling is a non-controlling owner of the Clippers.

If Shelly Sterling wants to become controlling owner of the Clippers, the league would have to approve such a step. The NBA would not approve Shelly Sterling as controlling owner, sources close to the situation tell SI.com. The league would have compelling grounds to deny her attempt, as it would seem to constitute an “end-around” of the NBA ousting her husband. Shelly Sterling has also been implicated in some of the allegations of racism against her husband, particularly those concerning their ownership and management of housing properties in Los Angeles. Consequently, the NBA could refer to those transgressions as legal justifications to deny a transfer of her ownership from non-controlling to controlling.

http://nba.si.com/2014/05/11/shelly-sterling-donald-sterling-clippers-owner-fight/
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:11 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I think that's what Richard Parsons, the new Clippers CEO will be overseeing.
watching the bank accounts does not put enough money in those accounts so that the bills get paid.
firefly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 11:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Isn't Sterling still responsible for coming up with the money? Until the team is actually sold to a new owner, why wouldn't he be responsible?