Donald Sterling

BillRM

Reply Wed 7 May, 2014 07:33 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Having struggled with anti-Semitic racism themselves, these owners will not support anti-black racism among their own.

Yes an the black population and the black civil rights leaders feel the same way toward Jews see the wonderful example of that in the Crown height anti-Jews riots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Heights_riot
Buttermilk

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 01:32 am
@BillRM,
We get it! In the history of the United States since the inception of the concept of a United collection of States and the subsequent history of racism that followed I guess white people (such as yourself) that have your kind of mentality hate the fact that people address racism.

BillRM

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:43 am
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
I guess white people (such as yourself) that have your kind of mentality hate the fact that people address racism.

Sorry racism and such have not been aimed at only blacks and blacks mobs in my own lifetime had hurt and even killed others due only to their religion or color of their skins or both.

In any case,.such matters does not grant anyone a license to steal someone property for daring to express an opinion in a private conversation be that person white, red , brown or black.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:48 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

Yes an the black population and the black civil rights leaders feel the same way toward Jews see the wonderful example of that in the Crown height anti-Jews riots.

Now you are accusing all black people--"the black population"--of being anti-Semitic because of a specific incident in a Brooklyn neighborhood over two decades ago? Rolling Eyes
Advocate

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:49 am
@Buttermilk,
I have not heard you address black racism, which is probably much more pernicious that the Sterling type. An example is the knock-out game (aka polar-bear hunting).
firefly

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:00 pm
@Buttermilk,
BillRM, definitely hates it when people, particularly people of color, raise issues of racism--he tries to dismiss them all as "race baiters" without valid complaints.

Of course, his own racist/racially biased comments aren't race-baiting, naw, never, and, of course, he, as a white male, knows more about racism than the people who've historically been on the receiving end of it.
panzade

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:13 pm
@firefly,
the last wiki page quote makes his point nonsense:
Quote:
Ultimately, black and Jewish leaders developed an outreach program between their communities to help calm and possibly improve racial and religious relations in Crown Heights over the next decade.[2]
firefly

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:50 pm
@panzade,
His point is nonsense because of the over-generalization, and stereotyping, he engages in by trying to infer that all blacks--"the black population"--are currently anti-Semitic based on events that occurred in a specific Brooklyn neighborhood over two decades ago.

His thinking, and lack of logic, is just plain absurd.

And, you are quite right, the inter-group tensions in that particular Crown Heights neighborhood calmed considerably, and relations between the groups improved, as time went on. Which also serves to disprove his point.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 03:35 pm
@Advocate,
Yes there is racism within the black community. I also think selective outrage in the black community exists and while some African-Americans target unjust racist actions made by others, they remain silent to the current issues that remain internally. As far as this so-called "knockout game" is concerned, let me say that this stupid game has been going on since the late 90's in which immature adolescents have been doing, targeting unsuspecting victims across ethnic cultures.

The same can be said about kids who drink "lean" (cough syrup with sprite/or flavored soda) or the concept of "thug culture" post Trayvon Martin, whenever biased political media obtains information of this kind, they make it seem apart of an ethnic culture as opposed to a culture of a generation--which is what you did mentioning the knockout game.

Speaking of selective outrage and racism, what I always found fascinating that terms like "race huslting" "thugs" "saggy pants" " people with guns" were always issues but with little concern especially in black neighborhoods, but when white kids are being shot in schools or bringing guns to school, now we are ready to discuss gun control. Or when the likes of Justin Bieber drink cough syrup and soda, now we're ready to I.D people who purchase cough syrup with codine, or when Trayvon Martin was shot now we educate people on what "lean." Or when Tupac and groups like Bone Thugs N' Harmony advocated "Thug culture" in the 90's being a thug was never a problem.

I say all that to say the current issues we face today has always existed in the black community, and because they have always existed subsequent to perpetual systemic racism promoted by some whites, some blacks therefore became the very evil they complain about. So-called black racism, is reactionary to historical white racism so before we get into discussing this we need to understand the sociological foundation of such phenomena.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 03:36 pm
@firefly,
I know, which is funny because while its funny he complains about racism, he uses racist language himself.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 04:58 pm
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

I know, which is funny because while its funny he complains about racism, he uses racist language himself.
Some of us refuse to use the soft depowered language that we are instructed to use on principle, either for the same reason we dont eat bland food or because we dont let bullies run our lives for us. You can choose to take offense, or not, and till the police state really gets in gear I can choose to care, or not.

Buttermilk

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 05:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Like I said, complaining about blacks or so-called "black racism" while being racist or using racial prejudiced language defeats the purpose of complaining about racism, period.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 05:32 pm
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

Like I said, complaining about blacks or so-called "black racism" while being racist or using racial prejudiced language defeats the purpose of complaining about racism, period.

if you take Firefly to be a honest broker you are a fool. Bill is not complaining about racism, he is complaining about a dishonest or incomplete understanding of how racism manifests itself. He is talking about how our ideas of what is dont match what is.
firefly

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 06:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Bill is not complaining about racism, he is complaining about a dishonest or incomplete understanding of how racism manifests itself. He is talking about how our ideas of what is dont match what is.

You're right, "Bill is not complaining about racism"--instead, BillRM voices his own racist attitudes and racially biased thinking in numerous threads. He's quite comfortable with his own racism, as are you, and he just wants all those allegedly "race baiting" blacks to stop pointing out how racism manifests itself, and affects them, based on their perceptions and experiences as its targets, because as a white man he just doesn't see it. He's complaining about blacks expressing their feelings about racism, because the racism that bothers, and affects, them doesn't bother, or affect, him at all.

BillRM's "ideas of what is dont match what is" because he can't see beyond the tip of his own bigoted white nose.

And, what Buttermilk pointed out was the ironic humor in BillRM's remarks.
Quote:

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 06:26 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
he just wants all those allegedly "race baiting" blacks to stop pointing out how racism manifests itself, and affects them,
What I read is that he wants blacks to stop blaming their failure to produce on whites and/or something that happened to the grandparents, as that song and dance long ago played out except with the stupid guilt raddled crowd.
firefly

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 06:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What I read is that he wants blacks to stop blaming their failure to produce on whites and/or something that happened to the grandparents, as that song and dance long ago played out except with the stupid guilt raddled crowd.

No, that's your mantra, not his.

He's incensed that President Obama would even mention his own experiences, of being regarded with suspicion, when he was a young black man. He seems to resent blacks voicing their own perceptions of racism, how it manifests itself, and how it affects them. He dismisses it all as "race baiting".

And now, he's absurdly trying to label, and stereotype, all blacks as anti-Semites because of events that occurred in a very specific, and quite atypical, Brooklyn neighborhood over two decades ago. That's a very sweeping, and negative stereotype, of blacks he's trying to promote.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 06:50 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
No, that's your mantra, not his.

Bullshit, he has said often that he used to be extremely supportive and compassionate about black problems, but that over time he has become exhausted by the excuses and bad choices.
firefly

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 06:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Fine, I'm sure that both BillRM and Donald Sterling both feel they are not racists.

Clearly some people, likely many people, would disagree with both of them.

0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 01:49 am
@hawkeye10,
BillRM has made racial prejudiced comments within this thread. Need I post what he wrote earlier in this thread? There is no clearer way to demonstrate that he is either prejudiced against certain members of an ethnic culture or he is racist (yes there are distinct difference between being prejudice and racist). You're sticking up for him because you two are cut from the same cloth.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 02:02 am
@hawkeye10,
I want to highlight something that you've said that resonated with me:

"What I read is that he wants blacks to stop blaming their failure to produce on whites and/or something that happened to the grandparents."

Now, ironically when I got into graduate school into a good program at a private and prestiguous university some of my white co-workers had the audacity to say: "Was it because of affirmative action?" Now, of course at that time they were joking but behind every joke and smile of that kind, I do realize they were serious. I do not have to live in my grandparents time to understand how racism affects me.

You act like the psychological residue of racism cannot affect future generations. What do you think happens when my granparents who lived in the South experience devastating racism such as being rejected for a good job because of their skin tone, or having to experience "colored water fountain" and "white water fountain" what do you think those who harbor resentment will tell their children?

My grandparents have always instilled in me that no matter how successful or educated, or popular in the eyes of white society you'll always still be a "nigga/nigger." For the most part in my life that is true. I could never acheive anything without someone assuming I had a handout. It's never on my own accord or because I work hard it is always because people of color succeed because the government helped us. This is the kind of pervasive racism that continues to plague us today post-Jim Crow era (e.g post-my grandparents era which you think only happened during their time).