Donald Sterling

Buttermilk

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 02:10 am
@hawkeye10,
So with over 43 million African Americans he became less empathetic because what he sees less than .0001% where he lives or see on television or hear in the media and somehow he became less empathetic? Well like I always say if someone has to bring up the good they've done for you, then whatever they did was not sincere. There is no way I would become less empathetic to the cause of a people because "people complain too much."

I mean for fucks sake African-American ancestors were ******* slaves for centuries. their descendents had to experience segregated restrooms only recently have we as a country made improvements. Now the psychological influence of generational racism that many African-Americans and other persons of color and/or minorities have experienced are somehow supposed to ******* go away?

You and BillRM both sound like insensitive pricks.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 06:28 am
@panzade,
Quote:
the last wiki page quote makes his point nonsense:

Yes sir and Sharpton with his current tv show and his millions of dollars a year in income did everything possible to keep the crown hill pot on high heat.

Because there are good men on all side of the racial divide does not mean that there is still one hell of a double standard with so call back leaders can do anything including promoting race riots and still have a career in the public sphere but on the other hand a man made what was suppose to be a private statement of a lover and his property should be taken away from him!!!!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 06:43 am
god bless Tommy Lasorda

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/ex-dodgers-manager-lasorda-hope-v-stiviano-hit-car-article-1.1783710

Quote:
Tommy Lasorda didn't mince words while talking about the alleged girlfriend of banned Clippers owner Donald Sterling, with the Dodgers managerial legend seemingly wishing V. Stiviano harm during a TV interview.

"I don't wish that girl any bad luck, but I hope she gets hit with a car," Lasorda told WPBF25 in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Lasorda, who said he's been close to Sterling for 30 years, wasn't shocked that his friend made racist comments -- ones which were made public when a recorded conversation between Sterling and Stiviano was released in April.

"It doesn't surprise me that he said those things," Lasorda said. "He shouldn't have said it, and he just hurt himself by talking too much and doing things that he shouldn't be doing."

it shouldn't be too difficult for tom's wish to come true if ms. stiviano continues to wear this ridiculous head gear

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/06/article-2621228-1D99C80500000578-571_306x423.jpg
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 06:52 am
@Buttermilk,
You grandfathers in the 1900s-1950s before the civil right movement had started and white racism was at it very worst still married the mothers of their children at a rate of 80 percents and raised those children together with the mothers of those children.

Now the figure is down to 20 percents or so and that is not something you can blame on the racial whites my friend.

Lot of blame to go around over the sad conditions of the majority of the lower class black community but it not as simple as blaming it as all the results of white racism.

A large percent of the current problem is found in so call black culture that does not center on families and children and education to the degree that it could.

That allow people like Jackson and Sharpton to be their public face/spokespersons without any protests

Hell Vietnamese fishermen was dump in Texas in the 1960s without any resources at all and not look upon with great love by either whites or blacks still by using the strength of their culture almost drove the white fishermen out of business over three decades or so.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:02 am
@Buttermilk,
Your group is the only group in the history of the world that have ancestors that was slaves!!!!!!!!!

Sorry there is no question that I have both slaves and slave owners in my blood line and that is true of the majority of the human race also.

You my friend almost surely have slave owners in your family tree that was more then willing to sell other tribal members and perhaps some members of their own tribe to slavers for trade goods such a firearms.

Now once more it is not a history of white racism that is forcing 80 percents of the men not to married the mothers of their children and who social standing seems to depend more on being a player then a family man.
Foofie

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 09:15 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Now once more it is not a history of white racism that is forcing 80 percents of the men not to married the mothers of their children and who social standing seems to depend more on being a player then a family man.

There could be a component of greater wealth that allows white males to more often juggle family/wife with girlfriend/lover? Black males might just have to choose a monogomous relationship over the discreet cheating of white males? The comparison of the two groups might not be reflective of an even playing field from the perspective of tumescent genitalia?
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 09:24 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
The comparison of the two groups might not be reflective of an even playing field from the perspective of tumescent genitalia?

Once more the playing field was far far from level in the 1950s and yet 80 percents of the black children was born in wedlock then, as compare to 20 percents now.

Next, I never claimed or stated or even held the idea that this character of not marrying the mothers of their children was an inborn racial trait instead of a culture that the black community had on the whole decided to embrace.
firefly

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 12:18 pm
@BillRM,
What is this nonsense about "a culture" that the "black community had on the whole decided to embrace"?

Are you aware that the birth rate for unmarried women has been on the increase since the 1940's for the entire U.S. population?
Quote:
MAY 1, 2013
About 6 in 10 Recent Moms in Their Early 20s are Unmarried, Census Bureau Reports

As of 2011, 62 percent of women age 20 to 24 who gave birth in the previous 12 months were unmarried, according to a report released today by the U.S. Census Bureau. This compares with 17 percent among women age 35 to 39...

In 2011, 4.1 million women reported that they had given birth in the last year. Of these women, 36 percent were unmarried at the time of the survey, an increase from 2005 when an estimated 31 percent of recent births were to unmarried women (2005 was the earliest year for which statistics are available from the American Community Survey).

"The increased share of unmarried recent mothers is one measure of the nation's changing family structure," Kreider said. "Nonmarital fertility has been climbing steadily since the 1940s and has risen even more markedly in recent years."
http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/american_community_survey_acs/cb13-80.html

About 6 in 10 recent U.S. moms in their early 20's seem to be "embracing" this allegedly "black culture", BillRM, since 62% of them were unmarried when they gave birth.

Perhaps you should look at the factors, beyond race, that account for those numbers.

And I fail to understand why any of the very real problems, within the segment of the black population that remains a socio-economic underclass, remains a reason to excuse or express racially biased attitudes toward all blacks, or even toward the blacks within that underprivileged group.

I similarly fail to understand why you continually focus on Sharpton as the alleged main spokesperson for all African Americans. Is there a corresponding main spokesperson for all white Americans? Do only whites have diversity of opinions?

Nor do you give the historical context of slavery and institutionalized racism more credibility, in terms of its continuing influences in our society, when it is voiced by our first African-American President.
Quote:
You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot I said that this could have been my son. Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago. And when you think about why, in the African American community at least, there’s a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it’s important to recognize that the African American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away.

There are very few African American men in this country who haven't had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store. That includes me. There are very few African American men who haven't had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars. That happens to me -- at least before I was a senator. There are very few African Americans who haven't had the experience of getting on an elevator and a woman clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off. That happens often.

And I don't want to exaggerate this, but those sets of experiences inform how the African American community interprets what happened one night in Florida. And it’s inescapable for people to bring those experiences to bear. The African American community is also knowledgeable that there is a history of racial disparities in the application of our criminal laws -- everything from the death penalty to enforcement of our drug laws. And that ends up having an impact in terms of how people interpret the case.

Now, this isn't to say that the African American community is naïve about the fact that African American young men are disproportionately involved in the criminal justice system; that they’re disproportionately both victims and perpetrators of violence. It’s not to make excuses for that fact -- although black folks do interpret the reasons for that in a historical context. They understand that some of the violence that takes place in poor black neighborhoods around the country is born out of a very violent past in this country, and that the poverty and dysfunction that we see in those communities can be traced to a very difficult history.

And so the fact that sometimes that’s unacknowledged adds to the frustration. And the fact that a lot of African American boys are painted with a broad brush and the excuse is given, well, there are these statistics out there that show that African American boys are more violent -- using that as an excuse to then see sons treated differently causes pain.

I think the African American community is also not naïve in understanding that, statistically, somebody like Trayvon Martin was statistically more likely to be shot by a peer than he was by somebody else. So folks understand the challenges that exist for African American boys. But they get frustrated, I think, if they feel that there’s no context for it and that context is being denied. And that all contributes I think to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario, that, from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/07/19/remarks-president-trayvon-martin

Did President Obama's comments give you any pause for thought?

Not a bit.

In fact, you compared the President to Al Sharpton and labeled him a "race baiter" as well. You were livid about President Obama saying, "Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago."

You just don't want to acknowledge your own racial biases, and you discredit and demean just about any black person, or black organization, that speaks out to identify or decry manifestations of racism or bias that continue to exist in our society.

There are definite reasons Sterling is considered a racist--and they go way beyond his remarks in that recent phone conversation--just as your own racially biased attitudes have been expressed in threads that go beyond just this one...

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 01:22 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Are you aware that the birth rate for unmarried women has been on the increase since the 1940's for the entire U.S. population?
Quote:

Without a question the out of wedlock rate had increased for all groups however repeat however in the 1950s the 20 percent rate of the black population was a great deal higher that was then found in the white population.

Now the white population out of wedlock birthrate had increased to the point that is it similar to the black population of the 1950s of around 20 percents but no where near the black out of wedlock rate of around 80 percents or so.

You are still trying to lied and blow smoke as we are talking about all females of child bearing age broken down by race not the early 20s subgroup of women or whatever else you are trying to but forward to try to cover up the plain facts.

Let see the figures now are ..........

Quote:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/360990/latest-statistics-out-wedlock-births-roger-clegg

Latest Statistics on Out-of-Wedlock Births
By Roger Clegg
October 11, 2013 9:53 AM
Comments172

Print Text

With little fanfare, the federal government has posted its annual compilation of birth data, including out-of-wedlock births. Here’s the bad news (essentially unchanged from last year): Preliminary data indicate that 40.7 percent of all 2012 births were out-of-wedlock, which is appalling, and there are vast differences among racial and ethnic groups. Among non-Hispanic blacks, the figure is highest, at 72.2 percent; for American Indians/Alaska Natives, it’s 66.9 percent; 53.5 percent for Hispanics; 29.4 percent for non-Hispanic whites; and a mere 17.1 percent for Asians/Pacific Islanders.

You know pretending there is no problem is regard to the out of birth rate with very very special regards to the black population is not helping anyone Firefly and less then 3 out of 10 births for whites is not the same as over 7 out of ten for blacks.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 03:12 pm
@firefly,
Pretending there is no problem in this regards concerning our black citizens that is far greater then with other groups might be very PC but is not helpful in any other manner.

For a time I was hoping the million men movement within the black community a few years ago might turn things around but that did not seem to had happen.

http://thesocietypages.org/graphicsociology/files/2010/10/maritaldecline.jpg
firefly

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 04:01 pm
@BillRM,
You completely missed my point.

I said I fail to understand why any of the very real problems, within the segment of the black population that remains a socio-economic underclass, remains a reason to excuse or express racially biased attitudes toward all blacks, or even toward the blacks within that underprivileged group.

Why are you even mentioning black out-of-wedlock births in this thread?

Why are you even mentioning Al Sharpton and the riots in Crown Heights Brooklyn that occurred over two decades ago?

Do any of those things excuse Donald Sterling's racist attitudes, or yours?

firefly

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 04:12 pm
Dick Parsons new Clippers CEO

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10908408/nba-names-dick-parsons-ceo-los-angeles-clippers
panzade

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 04:22 pm
@firefly,
An interesting interview with Hall of Famer Elgin Baylor who was Sterling's general manager for 22 years on C Anderson CNN last night.

Baylor recounted how Sterling told him the perfect basketball team would consist of 5 black players on the floor with a white Southern coach on the bench....hah
Quote:
Baylor, who lost a lawsuit alleging he was fired by the team because of his age, said Sterling never directed racist language at him. But when asked if the longtime owner who now is banned for life from the league was a racist, Baylor didn't pause.

"Of course he is," Baylor said in an interview telecast on Wednesday. "There's no doubt in my mind now."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/07/us/elgin-baylor-donald-sterling/
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 04:40 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Why are you even mentioning black out-of-wedlock births in this thread?

There was a claim that all of the black population problems are base on racism along with a history of mistreatment/slavery and my statement was that in the 1950s before the civil right movement got off the ground and when racism was far far more common and overwhelming in fact blacks families was far more solid with low out of birth rates and now in a time of must less racism with a black president in office the out of wedlock rate of blacks had gone off the scale.

So there seems an example of at least one very major marker of blacks well being is not connected to white racism or white mistreatment in any manner and is a factor only they have control over.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 04:44 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Baylor recounted how Sterling told him the perfect basketball team would consist of 5 black players on the floor with a white Southern coach on the bench....hah

So you would like to be hold accountable for all your casual jokes to coworkers that are not PC correct when printed in newspapers?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 04:54 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
The comparison of the two groups might not be reflective of an even playing field from the perspective of tumescent genitalia?

Once more the playing field was far far from level in the 1950s and yet 80 percents of the black children was born in wedlock then, as compare to 20 percents now.

Next, I never claimed or stated or even held the idea that this character of not marrying the mothers of their children was an inborn racial trait instead of a culture that the black community had on the whole decided to embrace.

I've never been Black, so I cannot really talk about that experience. Perhaps, Black males are more honest, in that they do not cheat on a wife, like some white upscale men do? I am not sure that the white culture is 100% correct in its paradigms. The older I get, the less smug I get about many things. Perhaps, I am getting humble?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 04:59 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

An interesting interview with Hall of Famer Elgin Baylor who was Sterling's general manager for 22 years on C Anderson CNN last night.

Quote:
Baylor, who lost a lawsuit alleging he was fired by the team because of his age, said Sterling never directed racist language at him. But when asked if the longtime owner who now is banned for life from the league was a racist, Baylor didn't pause.

"Of course he is," Baylor said in an interview telecast on Wednesday. "There's no doubt in my mind now."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/07/us/elgin-baylor-donald-sterling/

you undermine the claim that Sterling is a menacing racist who needed to be removed from the NBA when you give quotes from blacks who worked closely with him for 22 years, never got treated poorly because of his race, and only now has come to the conclusion that Sterling is a racist.
BillRM

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 05:03 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
white culture is 100% correct in its paradigms. The older I get, the less smug I get about many things. Perhaps, I am getting humble?

Every study I had ever seen come to the same conclusion that the results of children raised in families with both parents in them are overall far better off then children raised in a mother only family.

That fathers in their children lives are damn important to children well being.

Foofie

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 05:08 pm
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

You and BillRM both sound like insensitive pricks.

In my opinion, it is mostly sociological. Meaning if one is socialized in a white culture, one will see it as correct. It really comes down to the ability of Blacks to have a tolerance for the ambiguity of choosing not to subscribe to the mainstream white culture, yet angry over the slim pickings after subscribing to their own culture, in my opinion. Meaning if one doesn't make going to college a top priority, don't be surprised if the society does not have a good paying blue collar job waiting after high school.

Not to sound trite, but without a Moses, would Hebrews have ever left Egypt? Perhaps, good leaders are needed at the right time, not just a moral high-ground?
Foofie

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 05:19 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
white culture is 100% correct in its paradigms. The older I get, the less smug I get about many things. Perhaps, I am getting humble?

Every study I had ever seen come to the same conclusion that the results of children raised in families with both parents in them are overall far better off then children raised in a mother only family.

That fathers in their children lives are damn important to children well being.

Your quote of my earlier post seems to have been truncated. It actually was: I am not sure that the white culture is 100% correct in its paradigms.

I am not so sure how important the presence of a father is, since some fathers can be an albatross on a family?

I'll refrain from responding to you now, since you might not proofread well the editing of quoted posts, in my opinion.

Enjoy your beliefs.
0 Replies