Donald Sterling

Buttermilk

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 08:34 am
@BillRM,
Where in my post did I judge this man's morality? I said if he wasn't an active racist and cheating on his wife none of this would be relevant today.
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 09:43 am
@Buttermilk,
Once more an active????? racist who had already had won one award from the NAACP and was about to received a second one and once more how does his cheating on his wife have anything to do with the matter?
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 10:26 am
Using the wayback machine I got the following concerning Stirling from the Clippers team website before it was removed. We are now in the business of re-writing history as the USSR was supposed to had done.

Quote:
Donald T. Sterling
Chairman of the Board and Owner

Donald T. Sterling ranks among the longest-tenured NBA owners, and is one of the few remaining sole owners of a professional sports franchise in any league. He enters his 29th season as Owner and Chairman of the Board of the Clippers.
It was Sterling’s vision which resulted in the construction of the $50 million Los Angeles Clippers’ Training Center in Playa Vista, which houses the team’s practice and training facility, as well as office space to accommodate the Clippers’ Basketball Operations staff.

His areas of expertise are diverse and many: he has been a prominent attorney, real estate developer, and entrepreneur. Add to that his efforts in community involvement and philanthropy, so clearly evidenced by his active role in support of over 170 charities providing direct benefit to the lives of tens of thousands of young people throughout the Greater Los Angeles metropolitan area. During the 2008-09 season over 550 organizations received in excess of 80,000 tickets for local children and their families through the Donald T. Sterling Charity Seats Program. Sterling has donated over 280,000 tickets to more than 2,000 community groups over the last seven seasons.

(L-R) Donald T. Sterling, Shelly (Mrs. Donald T.) Sterling and Clippers' President Andy Roeser. Sterling was the driving force in the formation of the Los Angeles Clippers Foundation, which benefits numerous local charities. During the 2006 off-season, Sterling spearheaded the creation of a series of free, day-long, Clippers’ summer basketball clinics to involve local youth. Since the program’s inception, over 6,500 youth have participated in the clinics which have taken place at various parks and recreation centers throughout the Los Angeles area.

He has received many honors, including the 2009 NAACP Lifetime Achievement Award, the 2008 BBA Humanitarian of the Year Award, the 2008 NAACP President’s Award, the 2006 Say Yes to Children Network Children’s Hero Award, the 1999 MDA Dennis Day Memorial Award, the 1998 Los Angeles Yeshiva Golden Menorah Humanitarian of the Year Award, the Asthma & Allergy Foundation 1998 Humanitarian of the Year Award, the Vista Del Mar Orphanage 1997 Man of the Year and the Gold Medal Humanitarian of the Year by the Special Olympics.

He was also named Humanitarian of the Year by the Los Angeles Police Historical Society at its 1999 Jack Webb Award gala. Funds generated by the event went toward the construction of the Los Angeles Police History and Community Education Center, a multi-purpose facility designed to pay tribute to those who have fallen in the line of duty and serve as a community center for at-risk youth, an interactive LAPD Museum, and an LAPD sub-station.

Sterling was born in Chicago and raised in the Boyle Heights section of Los Angeles, earning his entire education in the area, from high school to law school - where he graduated with cum laude honors. He began his career as a lawyer before turning to investments, sports and entertainment in Southern California.

He took over ownership of the Clippers’ franchise in 1981 when the team was located in San Diego. He re-located the club to his hometown in 1984. It was his influence which stimulated yet another move prior to the 1999-2000 season, this time just a few blocks up Figueroa Street. That season the team began playing in the magnificent new STAPLES Center in downtown Los Angeles.

Sterling is the managing partner of a law firm and Chairman of Sterling Properties. He and his family reside in Beverly Hills and Malibu.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 10:39 am
@BillRM,
Teams donate tickets when they cant set out, usually for the tv cameras, it is all about the team. As soul owner sterling had the opportunity to route this normal activity through his charity and try to sell it as his good work, but it was still. going to happen without sterling and his charity if they did not exist, they had noting to do with the end result.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 10:49 am
@panzade,
You should be, as it clearly is not.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 10:50 am
@hawkeye10,
Somehow I have a feeling that many tens of millions of other funding went out to the LA community other then the funds from the tickets if for no other reason then to reduce the taxes on his personal income.

You know if I was him I would be mad enough over his employees helping in throwing him under the bus that I would spend the money to regain control of my team just to have the pleasure of firing most of them.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 11:02 am
@BillRM,
Almost all major teams are owned by groups of people which makes it difficult or impossible for them to do as sterling did and make filling the stadium pay off personally. Ya, the payoff was prob partly financial.

Note: I believe that sterling is 100% owner, but this could be wrong.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 11:12 am
@BillRM,
That neither Jackson nor Sharpton were sufficiently taken to task (and in the case of Sharpton, prosecuted) has no bearing on how the NBA has reacted to the public revelation that one of their owners is a bigot.

What is your argument? That since Jackson and Sharpton (two racist Race Hucksters of the worst kind) were not properly punished either by law, economically or in the public square, other arguably less malignant but equally indicative expressions of bigotry should be given a pass?

If you are outraged by those who have settled on Sterling like a pack of ravenous jackals, but who not only ignore similar and worse examples of bigotry, but support the bigots, I'm with you all the way.

However, irrespective of that outrage and its source, the NBA had to deal with a very real economic problem concerning a very real bigot. That the economic problem is born of a firestorm fueled, in large measure, by Media hounds and those who personally benefit from racial unrest, is not something the league could take into consideration.

If there was any evidence that this recording was edited so as to distort the truth or maybe even if Sterling didn't have a track record of bigotry, the NBA might have stood with him. I, at least, hope they would have, and if they didn't, they would then be well deserving of scorn.

If your house is on fire, and miscreants are throwing gas on it, you don't refuse to put it out declaring there really are no flames or they that wouldn't be so bad if not for those bastards with the tanks of gas.

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 11:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
An if the mob driven by the media is allowed to take away the ownership rights of Stirling who might be next on the list of owners to have similar events happen to them?

The woman who likely illegally record the conversation and released it blow off one hell of a billionaire sugar daddy so was someone offering her more money to do so? Something smell to me in any case over this whole matter.

In any case, those who are without sin throwing the first rock seems to apply here. Rich and powerful men such as the owners of NBA teams are on the whole not saints and I can see them reviewing every comment they had made over the years that might become public.

Of course the owners might in public try their best to give the mob what they wish to have hoping Stirling and his lawyers and the courts will block them.

They are clearly between the rock and the hard place and as far as I can see their only path out of it is to have Stirling fight them long enough for the mob passion dying down and then reaching a settlement that punished him but allow him to return to the team ownership either directly or indirectly in a year or two.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 12:44 pm
The newest meme captioned with:
"The real inequality problem in America isn't really about income"
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10007426_635898893163329_3531828404488343561_n.jpg
Is there any truth in this?
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 12:56 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Is there any truth in this?

Including getting some Jews killed by helping in stirring up anti-semitic feelings in the New York area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Sharpton

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 01:34 pm
Meantime,

http://nba.si.com/2014/05/02/donald-sterling-cancer-los-angeles-clippers/
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:10 pm
@ossobuco,
so a lifetime ban is nearly meaningless and there is no way a sale gets done before he dies, Sterling wins. He never cared that much about his reputation, if he did he would not have put sucky teams in the floor for almost three decades straight. It was only a couple of years ago that the Clippers were proclaimed the worst franchise in professional sports, that does not happen if the owner cares about what people think of him.

the last weeks events make a lot more sense now, especially sterling not even trying to act apologetic when the lightning fast NBA investigators came calling.
BillRM

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 02:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
You jumping to conclusion that he is dying in a short time frame and as far as not getting on his knees to the NBA agents why should he as nothing he would had said would had change anything.

If I was him my attentions would be focus on my lawyers getting the paperwork around to request a court injunction again the NBA.

We will know more in a week or so concerning any countermeasures he is likely to be taking to stop this rush to seize his property.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 03:16 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

New flash David communism is as dead as the holy Rome Empire of even Carthage for that matter so with all due respect you might wish to stop seeing the world in terms of communism and anti communism.

It is the Communist government in China that is so secretive, compared to capitalist nations. Communism is not dead, since one cannot kill an idea or belief system. So, we must remain vigilant, in my opinion.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 04:39 pm
25 years ago banning Pete Rose for life was controversial, because no one could prove that it affected games, even though MLB had a policy against wagers which Rose admitted to violating.

Now Sterling getting banned for life for saying the wrong words in a private conversation is not controversial.

Nicely illustrating how America has become more radicalized.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 05:12 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Communism is not dead, since one cannot kill an idea or belief system. So, we must remain vigilant, in my opinion.

Oh, we are certainly vigilant against ideas that are not wanted, we run over anyone who dares give voice to them. Of course this makes any claims of being pro freedom a laugh, support for free will these days usually gets tossed the second it becomes clear that someones mind does not pass the purity test.

Who ever said that utopianism was dead?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 05:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
I just seen a poll where the support for taking the team away is roughly 50/50 so even with the news media being 100 percents for doing so they had not as yet been able to sell this nonsense completely.

It nice to know that there are still a large percent of the public that are not just puppets to the opinion makers.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 05:38 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I just seen a poll where the support for taking the team away is roughly 50/50 so even with the news media being 100 percents for doing so they had not as yet been able to sell this nonsense completely.

It nice to know that there are still a large percent of the public that are not just puppets to the opinion makers.
The silent majority dont count when the deciders rush to judgment after being hounded by the mob. Of course we should note that classic tactic of shyster salesmen (often selling crap) that the decision to buy must be made right this very second, there is no time to wait, to evaluate. Contemplating the correlation between this and that is an uncomfortable exercise.

This case ties in with a long running theme presented by you and me...the gutting of justice in America. It also ties in with my theme of the idiocy of the modern man. It also ties in with my theme of the feminization of America as snap emotional decisions are the way of the feminine, and rational evaluations are the way of the masculine.

Even now all we get are little whispers here and there about Sterling being a victim, or about just where our increasing tendencies to conduct instant emotional lynchings to speakers of "bad" thoughts is going to take us.....after all the history of the endings of periods of such extreme social repression is pretty damn scary. We are pretty well down that rabbit hole of destroying communication in an idiotic attempt to protect the weak amongst us (or is it because our bosses dont want us to realize what is going on, we have sure seen a lot of destroying communication for that reason over history). I dont really want to contemplate how badly we are going to **** ourselves before we wake up.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso buco is a lovely, thoroughly interesting and kind woman. I enjoyed her company greatly when we met - and hope against hope to have that experience again.

I only wish Dys would be there with us next time, too.