Donald Sterling

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 07:34 pm
@Lash,
Ditto, back at ya.

Same re Dys.

I'd love to meet up in your relatively new area, but dammit, money, money. Plus, I miss "my" ocean.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 10:46 pm
@panzade,
Absolutely
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 2 May, 2014 11:28 pm
Quote:
Stiviano denied having a romantic relationship with Sterling, saying she is his personal assistant and sees Sterling as “a father figure” -- calling herself his "silly rabbit." She claims that people around Sterling would say negative things about her to him, saying they “poison his mind and heart about things about me,” which would drive him to say certain things.
Despite the controversy around his comments, she said he is not a racist.
“I think Mr. Sterling is from a different generation than I am. I think he was brought up to believe these things … segregation, whites and blacks,” Stiviano said. “But through his actions he’s shown that he’s not a racist. He’s shown to be a very generous and kind man

http://gma.yahoo.com/v-stiviano-donald-sterling-apologize-racist-remarks-020858141--abc-news-topstories.html?vp=1

an exact copy of what is said about Paula Dean...."She/he has some strange ideas but he/she s always very nice to everybody regardless of their race".
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 12:23 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
I understand that on tv there are programs that show Black and White friends hanging out together.

A ridiculous opening to an ignorant post.
Just because you're too bigoted to have black friends you assume the rest of us don't either.
Here in Florida where I live we all have black friends and black people here (this'll be news to you!) have white friends.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 12:26 am
@ossobuco,
So good to see Kiss & Make Up in practice.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 12:49 am
@panzade,
You're being too harsh.

One doesn't have to be bigoted to not have black friends, and this is the point foofie (I think) was making.

If you have the opportunity to be friends with a member of another race and you reject it simply because of that person's race, then you qualify as a bigot, but foofie is correct that these opportunities are not as common as some would have us think.

When I lived in NC, our next-door-neighbors were black. I really like the kids and thought highly of the mother. The father wasn't a bad guy, but he wasn't someone I was ever going to become "friends" with. We talked when we found ourselves outside at the same time, and we were both entirely "friendly" to one another, but he was no more interested in us becoming "friends" than I was, and so we didn't. Bigoted? I don't think so.

I now live in Texas and none of my immediate neighbors are black. I work from home and am not a member of any club or organization that meets with regularity.

The black people that I have, in the past, considered to be my "friends" share the same initimate relationship I have with white "friends" from long ago and far away...which is to say not very substantial.

I have a lot of friends (some of whom are black) but very few good friends. Those in the latter class are members because we either became friends very early in our lives or because we see each other frequently here and now.

None of my good friends are black. Does this make me a bigot? Again, I don't think so. I grew up in a segregated town in NY, and didn't have the opportunity to make friends with black kids. In the last ten years or so, for whatever reason, I haven't come into regular contact with enough black people to make it likely that I might hit it off with one or two.

Having friends is important. Having black friends is, at best, interesting.

The crux here is not whether or not one has black friends but whether or not one might refuse to have friends who are black.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 01:20 am

He has as much right to an opinion
as anyone else. He has as much right to express
his opinions in private conversations as anyone else.

His girlfriend is a Mexican African ??

David
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 01:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
And no one (that I know of) is suggesting that he be put in jail or executed for his opinion.

His right to his opinion is only relevant as respects how the government might respond.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 01:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
His right to his opinion is only relevant as respects how the government might respond.

Quote:
Rights are legal, social, or ethical principles of freedom or entitlement; that is, rights are the fundamental normative rules about what is allowed of people or owed to people, according to some legal system, social convention, or ethical theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights

So wiki is wrong?
xirry

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 01:36 am
After reading this discussion ,i know something!
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 03:44 am
Reading the aforementioned opinions justifies the anger within the black community....Man some of you are really ignorant.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 05:21 am
@Buttermilk,
Blacks have certainly perfected the move of taking offense, but learning how to succeed has been a problem. This is always whiteys fault, natch. I am one white man who has become fed up with being blamed (with no evidence) for other people failing to thrive. And dont whine about me not being sensitive to black feelings, blacks have been so incredibly insensitive to whites feelings for so long that they have lost the right to complain when they get returned what they offer.
BillRM

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 07:48 am
@Buttermilk,
Having been near enough a numbers of times in my life time to smell the smoke of burning buildings both in NJ and FL or hearing the chats on TV led by Sharpton that if we do not get our ways there will be no peace, the right of the black "community" to get angry over such things as people defending an old man who dare to express his desire not to have his girlfriend photograph in public with black men and in a private conversation does not seems to hold a lot of weight.

Buttermilk

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:36 am
@hawkeye10,
I personally do not care what you think of "blacks." You're doing a fine job shooting yourself in the foot here with your unsympathetic words.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:37 am
@BillRM,
Typical. White folks think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are spokesman for the black community. Hmmmm never met neither one of these men so they dont speak for me. Again, please continue shooting yourself in the foot.
firefly

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 09:39 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Blacks have certainly perfected the move of taking offense, but learning how to succeed has been a problem.

Really? Blacks haven't succeeded in the NBA, a league that's about three fourths black? How many white players are on the Clippers? Two?

Among other things, you are ignoring the justifiable outrage on the part of the league players in response to Sterling's remarks, and their desire to see him ousted.

And, among other things, you are ignoring their input into the decision made about Sterling.
Quote:
The Man Behind the Commissioner’s Ruling
How Kevin Johnson Influenced the Donald Sterling Ruling
By HARVEY ARATON
MAY 1, 2014

When N.B.A. Commissioner Adam Silver announced a lifetime ban of the disgraced Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling and said he would urge the league’s Board of Governors to vote for a forced sale of the team, Silver was widely hailed for his decisive leadership in defusing a burgeoning crisis.

But in tracing the timeline of events that led to the announcement Tuesday, it is apparent that the league’s response was shaped as much by the influence of a player turned politician who has no official affiliation with the N.B.A. as it was by Silver’s conviction.

Kevin Johnson, a former N.B.A. star who is now the mayor of Sacramento, was able to channel the growing anger among the league’s players and made clear to Silver the types of steps that needed to be taken to keep the situation from veering out of control.

With a long history as a fractious group plagued by infighting among empowered player agents and their famous clients, with its last three executive directors departing involuntarily, the players union has not been normally viewed as having a powerful voice in N.B.A. affairs. And it certainly did not seem to be cohesive enough to forcefully deal with the fast-moving, emotionally charged reactions to Sterling’s comments.

But in this instance, the union’s response was notably galvanized from the start, with Chris Paul, the union president, calling Johnson on Saturday morning soon after an audio recording of Sterling making disparaging remarks about black players and other people first appeared on the TMZ website.

Paul, the Clippers’ star point guard, immediately found himself in the middle of the uproar and needed someone else to guide the union’s response. He had already recruited Johnson to head a committee of businesspeople searching for a new executive director of the union, and so it was logical to turn to him again.

In a way, Johnson had almost been looking for such a moment.

In an interview several weeks ago with The New York Times, Johnson said he agreed with the assessment that the players union was adrift amid a $5 billion global industry and that its “financial power and leverage should be greater than it’s ever been,” but that it was not.

At the time, Johnson was making telephone calls to the league’s top stars, including LeBron James, urging them to imagine a union that could become much more than a collective bargaining agent, one that could demand a seat at the table in confronting the league’s most pressing issues.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, here was such an issue, but one more charged than Johnson could have imagined, with the potential to pull apart a league that is about three-quarters black.

People inside the union and the league office, who agreed to talk on the condition of anonymity given the developing ramifications of the story, agreed that Johnson, with Paul’s continual input, had Silver’s attention almost from the start once Sterling’s comments became public.

Paul, one person in the league said, made the initial contact, calling Silver from Los Angeles early Saturday morning just hours after the Sterling story broke and informing him that he would get Johnson involved.

As the weekend progressed, the person said, Johnson spoke with Silver several times, delivering the message that only decisive action that left Sterling no room to remain actively involved with the Clippers would satisfy the union.

Johnson found other ways to apply pressure. It was no coincidence that by Saturday night, before a playoff game between the Bobcats and the Miami Heat in Charlotte, N.C., James was speaking out forcefully, saying that if the audio was authentic, “there is no room for Donald Sterling in our league.”

Other players weighed in on Twitter. A campaign had been organized.

“With social media, the players were able to get a message out quickly in a way they wouldn’t have been able to even 10 years ago,” said Marc Edelman, as associate professor of law at the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College who has written about sports and antitrust law. “Back when Donald Sterling bought the Clippers, only the league had a well-oiled P.R. machine that controlled the message. Now the players also have a voice, and with it, power.”

Read the rest of the article here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/02/sports/basketball/how-kevin-johnson-influenced-the-donald-sterling-ruling.html?hpw&rref=sports

Quote:
And dont whine about me not being sensitive to black feelings...

You're the one who always does all the whining.

It's not just that you're insensitive to "black feelings", you show no capacity to understand them. Unless you personally feel you are a member of an offended or discriminated-against group (like the poor downtrodden white male), you have no ability to understand the anger and outrage of others who no longer wish to tolerate being the targets of bigotry, and who understandably, and justifiably, demand change.

And, what you likely resent the most, is that blacks, including the NBA players, have gained the leverage, and power, to effect such changes.
BillRM

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 10:04 am
@Buttermilk,
Strange as the same media that had declared that Stirling should have his team taken away is the same media that had both Sharpton and Jackison front and center as the spoken persons for the black community.

Paying Sharpton millions a year and giving him a very public cable network platform to express his views.

Nor had I once hear any comment from say the NACCP leadership that question their standing in the black leadership of this nation.

No reported outrage from anyone with standing in the black community when Sharpton got in front of a crowd during the Zimmerman matter and have the crowd chatting no justice no peace or in other word we will once again turn to random violence if we do not get our way.
firefly

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 10:31 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
No reported outrage from anyone with standing in the black community when Sharpton got in front of a crowd during the Zimmerman matter and have the crowd chatting no justice no peace or in other word we will once again turn to random violence if we do not get our way.

Stop trying to promote the bigoted belief that blacks are barely civilized beings who constantly threaten or turn to "random violence if we do not get our way".

"No justice, no peace," meant that organized demonstrations of non-violent protest would continue until the issue was addressed. Why should anyone in the black community--or the white community--have expressed any outrage about that? Such organized, and peaceful, demonstrations are a legitimate way of expressing anger--they are the alternative to violence in terms of demanding action.

Why you are dragging Sharpton into the discussion of Sterling makes no sense. You are trying to draw an equation that does not exist. Once again, you prefer to keep grinding your own personal axe rather than address the topic.

As for black leaders, why are you choosing to ignore the black mayors, governors, members of Congress, etc., not to mention the occupant of the White House, and focusing only on the two who make no bones about being social activists? Is it because you see all of them as racists and race baiters? Is that your view of all the black NBA players as well? Is this yet again just another thread where you see an opportunity to voice your own anti-black, racist and race baiting comments?

Try addressing the topic of Sterling, in the context of the NBA. The decision about Sterling was not handed down by the media. Read the article in my last post.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 11:09 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

An he have rights under property and partnership laws and whether those rights can be taken away due to a private conversation is also a matter of laws.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 11:34 am
@firefly,
Quote:
“With social media, the players were able to get a message out quickly in a way they wouldn’t have been able to even 10 years ago,” said Marc Edelman, as associate professor of law at the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College who has written about sports and antitrust law. “Back when Donald Sterling bought the Clippers, only the league had a well-oiled P.R. machine that controlled the message. Now the players also have a voice, and with it, power.”

and when the players saw a chance to roll the owners in general and get one of the owners in particular they were going to take it, no matter the particulars. The last two decades of owner/labor conflict have been extreme, and it is getting worse again post great recession as there is not enough money in the pot to keep all of the millionaires and billionaires happy. The latest of 4 lockouts in 20 years costing part of the season took place in 2011. Labor has already said that they were planning to violate that CBA and strike immediately if ownership did not cave in to their demands, not an honorable action for sure, and a sign that the next negotiations for the CBA is going to be cut-throat. I have a feeling that the commish and the owners are going to end up sorry that that they rolled so easily here.