Donald Sterling

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 08:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
What I don't get is how this has far wider societal implications.

"you cant say that, ever, and if you do we will have your head!"

If you said it, I hardly think that Doc Rivers, Lebron James, the NAACP or any other organization would be looking for your head.

Sterling owns an NBA team
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 08:30 pm
@panzade,
This cannot be compared to the situations of Jackie Robinson or Ali.

Sterling's bigotry is not indicative of a societal norm in 2014.
Lash

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Credential and prop are used interchangeably in this context.
panzade

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 09:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Sterling's bigotry is not indicative of a societal norm in 2014.

Sigh...I wish I could be as sure as you are.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 10:07 pm
@Lash,
Some of us are human and don't post family as credentials or props.
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 05:39 am
@Lash,
Can anyone see this kind of nonsense aim at Magic Johnson if he had told a mixed race girlfriend on a tape that he did not what her seen in public with white men?

The uproar if not only was they attempting to take his sport team ownership away from him but was talking about then handing it over to a white man such as Trump?

Talk about mob driven and media driven doubt standards!!!!!!!!!!!!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 12:06 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Can anyone see this kind of nonsense aim at Magic Johnson if he had told a mixed race girlfriend on a tape that he did not what her seen in public with white men?
Talk about mob driven and media driven doubt standards!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your hypothetical isn't a legitimate argument. You can't make this statement because it literally didn't happen. If it did then that would be an egregious case of hypocrisy. Until then....
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 01:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
"Can you see" was the beginning of my sentence with the word "if" coming later on not that it had happen but that the likelihood of Magic Johnson having the outrage that Stirling have run into for a similar statement is zero in my opinion.

It is all base on the man being white also in my firm opinion and it would get no attentions at all if it was a black man instead of a white old SOB.

To sum up those who would deeply love to hang Stirling are at least as racist as he is also in my opinion as I can not see them wishing to hang Magic for telling a girlfriend that he did not care for her being seen hanging around white men.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 04:21 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
To sum up those who would deeply love to hang Stirling are at least as racist as he is also in my opinion as I can not see them wishing to hang Magic for telling a girlfriend that he did not care for her being seen hanging around white men.

you have a problem with people not wanting to hang someone for something they haven't done? that sounds twisted, and not in a good way.
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 04:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
you have a problem with people not wanting to hang someone for something they haven't done? that sounds twisted, and not in a good way.

Are you that dumb or do you think the readers of this thread are that dumb?

Now my silly friend do you think for one mill second if repeat if Magic was on a tape telling a girlfriend not to have pictures taken hanging around white men anyone would give a **** or move to take his ownership rights away of his team?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 04:42 pm
@BillRM,
Mr. Sterling's reported comments are misogynistic, racist and homophobic. This thread is about his comments and the results of those comments.

You have been trying to divert attention away from what Mr. Sterling did.

The tsar, finn, panzade and others have kept the thread on topic for the most part. Props to them.
Foofie

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 04:51 pm
I understand that on tv there are programs that show Black and White friends hanging out together. Other than in a school or job environment, how often is this seen? Where are the inter-racial friendships?

Personally, most friendships are made, in my opinion, between people of very similar backgrounds, or interests. Race/ethnicity/religion just being another hurdle to effect a friendship. Modern society might be too diverse for many people's preferences. So, like the fable The Kings New Suit of Clothes, many seem to have a need to effect the charade that we are all cozy and toasty to all. Such hypocrisy, in my opinion.
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 04:57 pm
@ehBeth,
No my silly friend I am trying to put Stirling private statement to his girlfriend in content as it amount to him not wishing to see pictures of his mixed race girlfriend with black men on the internet. Add to that he stated that he does not care what kind of relationships she have that are not in the public area with blacks.

Hardly reaching the level of hate speak as I did not hear one anti black comment or name calling no n word or calling blacks mud people or whatever.

Once more I can not see that there would had been one little bit of flash back if Stirling had been black and telling his girlfriend not to hang around white men.

His expressed wish is silly but for the life of me I can not see how it deserve the kind of mob actions it had call into being in a sane world..
BillRM

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 05:01 pm
@ehBeth,
homophobic.???????????

Maybe I will need to listen to that tape again as I do not remember him saying anything at all about homosexuals.

Did you pull that charge out of thin air?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 05:39 pm
I'm not a good thread guider. As we all know.
However, I am very interested in how this all goes. I'm trying not to insult posters with my own emotions. Am interested in the mechanics of what will happen.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 05:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Here are examples of the double standards we are living with. Jackson can slur Jews and remain a powerful public figure for decades afterward.

Then we have Al Sharpton who help promoted a riot where Jews was killed and he is still a national figure.

But when Stirling in a private conversation does not wish his girlfriend to be recorded in the company of black men and we are going to take his team away from him!!!!!!!!

Quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/frenzy/jackson.htm

Jesse Jackson's 'Hymietown' Remark – 1984
Feeding Frenzy Rev. Jesse Jackson referred to Jews as "Hymies" and to New York City as "Hymietown" in January 1984 during a conversation with a black Washington Post reporter, Milton Coleman. Jackson had assumed the references would not be printed because of his racial bond with Coleman, but several weeks later Coleman permitted the slurs to be included far down in an article by another Post reporter on Jackson's rocky relations with American Jews.

A storm of protest erupted, and Jackson at first denied the remarks, then accused Jews of conspiring to defeat him. The Nation of Islam's radical leader Louis Farrakhan, an aggressive anti-Semite and old Jackson ally, made a difficult situation worse by threatening Coleman in a radio broadcast and issuing a public warning to Jews, made in Jackson's presence: "If you harm this brother [Jackson], it will be the last one you harm."

Finally, Jackson doused the fires in late February with an emotional speech admitting guilt and seeking atonement before national Jewish leaders in a Manchester, New Hampshire synagogue. Yet Jackson refused to denounce Farrakhan, and lingering, deeply rooted suspicions have led to an enduring split between Jackson and many Jews. The frenzy also heightened tensions between Jackson and the mostly white establishment press.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Sharpton

The Crown Heights riot began on August 19, 1991 after a car driven by a Jewish man, and part of a procession led by an unmarked police car, went through an intersection and was struck by another vehicle causing it to veer onto the sidewalk where it accidentally struck and killed a seven-year-old Guyanese boy named Gavin Cato and severely injured his cousin Angela. Witnesses could not agree upon the speed and could not agree whether the light was yellow or red. One of the factors that sparked the riot was the arrival of a private ambulance, which was later discovered to be on the orders of a police officer who was worried for the Jewish driver's safety, removed him from the scene while Cato lay pinned under his car.[32] After being removed from under the car, Cato and his cousin were treated soon after by a city ambulance (without visibly Jewish EMTs). Caribbean-American and African-American residents of the neighborhood rioted for four consecutive days fueled by rumors that the private ambulance had refused to treat Cato.[32][33] During the riot black youths looted stores,[32] beat Jews in the street,[32] and clashed with groups of Jews, hurling rocks and bottles at one another[34] after Yankel Rosenbaum, a visiting student from Australia, was stabbed and killed by a member of a mob while some chanted "Kill the Jew", and "get the Jews out".[35]

Sharpton marched through Crown Heights and in front of "770", shortly after the riot, with about 400 protesters (who chanted "Whose streets? Our streets!" and "No justice, no peace!"), in spite of Mayor David Dinkins's attempts to keep the march from happening.[36]
Lash

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 07:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Of course. And some do. We all make these determinations based on how and why a person brings up these associations in a racially charged discussion.
Lash

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 07:46 pm
@BillRM,
I agree that your point bears thought.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 07:56 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
My reaction was how dare anyone be it the NBA or the NAACP demand that comments that may had been made in a private conversation between a man and his partner be either explained or defended!!!!!!!!

Racism in not pretty but the betrayal of the kind his girlfriend did on him is far worst and I can only wonder how many of us would care for all the private comments we had shared with our wives or girlfriends to be made public.

If I was him I would get my high price lawyers to tell the NBA to go to hell as what right do they have to investigate private conversations between a man and his sexual partner even if the so call lady involved decided to break his trust in so outrageous a manner.
IF he had made the same remarks
in regard to the communists as he did toward the blacks,
wud there have been so emotional a reaction ????
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 08:07 pm
@Lash,
I'm the one who started the discussion.

I do hope you never mention your children on a2k again, somehow propping for points.