who remembers EX often, men or women?

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:37 pm
doglover wrote:
SCoates wrote:

I disagree. Remember the good over the bad is a mark of character, not gender.
In my breakup we both only remembered the bad for a long time, even though she meant a lot to me, and I always thought about her.

I think it's more about perception and selective memory S. The experience I have is that my female friends tend to bad mouth their ex most of the time. On rare occasions do they say something nice.

My male friends are more likely to come across as less bitter about their ex.

And guys I know talk bad about their exes, and girls talk nice. I think it has to do with the opposite company. In your case, for example, guys don't want to be seen as weak around other guys, but if they're any smart they WILL want to seem kind an emotional around women.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:38 pm
Jim wrote:
My wife and I celebrate our 25th anniversary next month. I love her and don't have a regret in the world.

But before we met, I was engaged to someone else. When she ended it, I took it very hard. It took a long time to get over her. I try hard not to, but sometimes I still can't help thinking about her.

I understand that. Was it more frequent at first?

It's almost surprising that feelings can last that long without nurturing.
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:39 pm
I just remember being a young airman...far from home with strangers. my friend tells me my girlfriend was cheating on me.

They were looking on the squadron to cut the grass...i was so mad i spent a good quality saturday afternoon cutting raking and baggin the old fashioned way.

Got a free liberty pass cause the squadron yard never looked so good from a guy who was so bent...LOL
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:40 pm
That's sad, ian.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:42 pm
SCoates wrote:
And guys I know talk bad about their exes, and girls talk nice. I think it has to do with the opposite company. In your case, for example, guys don't want to be seen as weak around other guys, but if they're any smart they WILL want to seem kind an emotional around women.

Ah, that's a very astute observation you posted there. I think you just might be right. :wink:
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:44 pm
SCoates wrote:
Jim wrote:
My wife and I celebrate our 25th anniversary next month. I love her and don't have a regret in the world.

But before we met, I was engaged to someone else. When she ended it, I took it very hard. It took a long time to get over her. I try hard not to, but sometimes I still can't help thinking about her.

I understand that. Was it more frequent at first?

It's almost surprising that feelings can last that long without nurturing.

Immediately after she ended it, she was all I could think of for several months. Life was most definitely not good then. Now it's at most once or twice a year, usually set off when I hear a song from back then.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:45 pm
Oh, I must have had it way worse than you. Change months to years. Awful stuff though.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:50 pm
Hearing 'our song' can definately bring back memories of an ex...even a tear to the eye. Even TV shows and food can trigger memories. We used to go to Arthur Treachers and get Fish and Chips (the biggest and best fries there ever were) and watch The Love Boat and Fantasy Island every week together.

This thread has me thinking about him. Eh, he was still a jerk. Glad I didn't marry him after all.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:56 pm
Are there people who really "get over" relationships, or is that just fiction.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:04 pm
i'm more likely to remember the " (wh)y "s! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:13 pm
SCoates wrote:
Are there people who really "get over" relationships, or is that just fiction.

I think a lot has to do with how old you were when you were when you were involved with your ex and how long that relationship lasted. I know for sure that I 'got over' him a looooong time ago. I think I got over him and never really looked back because I dated him from the age of 19-22. I thought I was so in love. Wrong. As I matured, I realized that the qualities I wanted in a future husband had changed dramatically. So, as I looked back at him and at the person I used to be, I was a very different person at 26 then just 5 years previous. Also, when I was younger, I tolerated a lot of crap that I never would tolerate when I was older.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 11:21 pm
I suppose it's a matter of definition, but even if you don't want to marry someone it's possible to look back and still be sad about it.
0 Replies

jora

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 01:48 am
I haven't gotten over one of them not because he was great to be with, but because he was a royal bastard. He made my life miserable (and everyone else's for that matter) and I can't seem to bring myself to forget that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:44 am
I believe there are many, many different ways to love people, and a full life includes many loves. The fact that a relationship didn't last a lifetime doesn't negate the depth of feeling or the importance of memories. When a relationship ends, you don't necessarily "get over it." You just move on.

Smart, mature people know their partners had lives before them, and they accept that. It's the current life and the future that matter.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:05 am
Eva wrote:
I believe there are many, many different ways to love people, and a full life includes many loves. The fact that a relationship didn't last a lifetime doesn't negate the depth of feeling or the importance of memories. When a relationship ends, you don't necessarily "get over it." You just move on.

Smart, mature people know their partners had lives before them, and they accept that. It's the current life and the future that matter.

More pearls of wisdom from Eva. Cool
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:18 am
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
(You're makin' me blush!)
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:35 pm
As mentioned above, as we mature our needs/wants are so much different than they were when we were younger. People grow and change, if you don't grow together, that's the beginning of the end. It doesn't mean either one is wrong, it just means one of you didn't recognize the need to comprehend what direction the other wished to go.

It's too bad we don't dare confront problems when they arise and choose to go into denial, sometimes for many years, before opting out of the relationship.

It would be much kinder to both parties to say "so long, our relationship isn't working, so let's agree to disagree and move on with our lives...."

Hindsight is 20/20:)
0 Replies