jespah

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 03:08 pm
That's fantastic news!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 03:11 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
. She has been actually working for almost a month. She is a floater, being assigned to different locations of this company on a week by week basis. They say that part time employees have the first pick of the permanent positions.

Basically as a temp employee, which is worse than part time. Hopefully this turns into something, but there is still the unresolved matter of why nobody wanted her. What ever that is we hope does not show up during this itinerant laborer phase of what hopefully will eventually be a career.
Germlat

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 03:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
. She has been actually working for almost a month. She is a floater, being assigned to different locations of this company on a week by week basis. They say that part time employees have the first pick of the permanent positions.

Basically as a temp employee, which is worse than part time. Hopefully this turns into something, but there is still the unresolved matter of why nobody wanted her. What ever that is we hope does not show up during this itinerant laborer phase of what hopefully will eventually be a career.

It's a great opportunity to acquire work experience....
chai2

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 03:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
In the health care field, if you're a floater you generally get more work offered to you than you can handle.

Someone is always taking off sick, for vacation, jury duty, etc.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 03:31 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:

Ya, it is better than sitting a home. What we dont know is to what degree this company considers her a " real" employee. And being a floater tends to suck, you tend to have big commute expenses which are not compensated, and you are always the outsider on the job.

We have a company here that contract feeds prisoners, and while everybody gets hired on being a floater being a floater really sucks. On any given day the work could be in one of four different counties, and you get paid nothing to get yourself there.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 03:34 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
In the health care field, if you're a floater you generally get more work offered to you than you can handle.

Great. Is it any better than in my industry where being a floater tends to be exhausting, unrewarding, and with poor compensation....basically a hazing session?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 03:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Brandon didn't say that. It was you that did.

(I'm rereading the whole thing.)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 04:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Ya, it is better than sitting a home. What we dont know is to what degree this company considers her a " real" employee. And being a floater tends to suck, you tend to have big commute expenses which are not compensated, and you are always the outsider on the job.

We have a company here that contract feeds prisoners, and while everybody gets hired on being a floater being a floater really sucks. On any given day the work could be in one of four different counties, and you get paid nothing to get yourself there.

You're in the restaurant business and quite frankly you don't know what you're talking about as far as being a floater in health care.

Brandon stated, "She doesn't have to wheel in-patients around hospital corridors, do heavy lifting, deal with stoned and uncooperative patients in an ER, or work a graveyard shift. She only had to test cooperative out-patients from 8 AM to 5 pm." Not exactly feeding convicts.

So make up your mind, is she relegated to working part time (as are all the other recently hired students) or is she an overworked drone? You can't have it both ways hawkeye. When you float, you let them know what days you are available, and you are called in to work on those days.

When you are a floater in a hospital or clinic, they are glad to see you because otherwise they'd be handling too much of a load. You get to know each facility, and have the benefit of not getting caught up in the drama or politics of each place.

When we needed a floater to handle absences because of vacation or sickness, current employees were climbing all over each other for the chance to get such a sweet deal.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 05:30 pm
@chai2,
Rnt you happy to see then that I am asking questions, not claiming to know? Drunk
roger

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 05:37 pm
Experience. She's getting experience. Maybe that was the final barrier.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 05:47 pm
I'd pay money to see hawkeye last a week in real time city health care.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 05:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Rnt you happy to see then that I am asking questions, not claiming to know? Drunk

Bull. You came on here trying to burst brandons balloon. You don't have to claim you don't know, I already told you that you didn't.

Stick your word games up your nose and go make someone a grilled cheese sandwich.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 06:18 pm
@chai2,
Excellent observation and retort about hawk. A thumb's up for you! LOL
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 06:28 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
You came on here trying to burst brandons balloon

Have your alleged ESP skills been certified by anyone? If so you might want to enquire about a refund.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Of all the students over 40 who graduated with my wife, only one was hired in the state of Florida where we live. Every single one of the dozen odd students in their 20s were hired immediately. One older student had to move to another state to get a job. Most of the rest, wanting to stay in Florida, still don't have jobs. Until the job fair two months ago, my wife never had a single interview in over a year of applying. She knows older students from the year before hers who still don't have jobs. What does it sound like to you?
chai2

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:28 pm
@Brandon9000,
Please don't be bitter Brandon. She's got a job now, don't let it eat at you.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:28 pm
@Brandon9000,
Sounds reasonable about a lawsuit, should you want to go there. Not that I advise it. I've no idea of the legal details, likely prohibitive. Life is hard enough.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:33 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Please don't be bitter Brandon. She's got a job now, don't let it eat at you.

Apparently, these people are hiring whoever they want on whim with no regard to competence, qualifications, rules within their organizations, or the law, and they're getting away with it. If they, themselves, were treated this way, most of them would scream bloody murder.