Age Discrimination???

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:37 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
What does it sound like to you?

What is your theory about why this would happen? Did the managers of healthcare in your state decide that the old people of your state want to see young healthy pretty females when they go to the DOC? I could see this being true, but I thought your wifes job was back office.

I have noticed over the years that pediatric dentists that we went to only hire young women to work in back, if there were older women they were always in billing. I am not sure if young girls were assumed to be better able to relate to the kids or if this was about making the moms more comfortable, but I have no doubt that it was on purpose. Also there was no way in hell a man was ever going to be hired.
chai2

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:39 pm
@Brandon9000,
Point taken.

But why lose sleep over it now? You can rail against the system, and all it will do is increase your blood pressure.

I understand your anger, but I hope you can let it go.

Unless you have some plan on how to rectify this, your anger is blowing off in the wind, only hurting yourself.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:49 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Point taken.

But why lose sleep over it now? You can rail against the system, and all it will do is increase your blood pressure.

I understand your anger, but I hope you can let it go.

Unless you have some plan on how to rectify this, your anger is blowing off in the wind, only hurting yourself.

Thanks for your support during the past few months.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 07:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
What does it sound like to you?

What is your theory about why this would happen? Did the managers of healthcare in your state decide that the old people of your state want to see young healthy pretty females when they go to the DOC? I could see this being true, but I thought your wifes job was back office.

I have noticed over the years that pediatric dentists that we went to only hire young women to work in back, if there were older women they were always in billing. I am not sure if young girls were assumed to be better able to relate to the kids or if this was about making the moms more comfortable, but I have no doubt that it was on purpose. Also there was no way in hell a man was ever going to be hired.

I have no answer. I would understand not hiring someone near to retirement age. It can't be the pretty girl thing exactly, because all of the young male students were hired at once too, even ones who spent their time during clinical rotations texting, hiding from work, never volunteering for anything, and taking long lunches, and whose grades weren't that great. Many of these people would contact my wife a day or two before tests to borrow her class notes.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:21 pm
I'm still interested. I'm not a lawsuit person, just interested, re what this was actually all about, as it did increasingly seem to be about something, some kind of shutout, not completely clear.

Maybe not, given timing.
I was partner in a very small firm and we always said no, but if someone actually found our number and called, which happened once in a while, since we lived in Nirvana, we talked and tried to advice, commiserate, and so on. Some good conversations happened; we've all been there. People were as nice to me, way back when, in recession time. Something like my 26th call was a Bingo and it was with a good practice that fit me and vice versa.

Don't know what to say to Brandon, don't know enough for sure.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:21 pm
@Brandon9000,
There are a lot of elderly in florida, they usually have solid insurance so they are easy money. Managers are going to do what it takes to cater to them, what ever atmospherics are in demand will be supplied.

I am really confused on why you think this is an age thing. It seems to me that this is just as likely to be a race thing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Most of us who've worked in labs discount that.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:28 pm
@hawkeye10,

Ok, maybe in Idaho.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
Asian is 2.4% of Florida, 4.8% of the USA. Older whites tend to have had experienced a lot less racial mixing in their lives than younger americans, and might not welcome it now, so if you want their business maybe you dont hire Asians.

Are you sure it is age?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:39 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I have a cousin who is female 56 and lives in Bradenton FL. She has worked hospital lab tech most of her life. She ended up out of work at 50 for reasons she never explained. It took her two years to land another gig, for less money, 1.5 hours away. I assumed that this was the normal age discrimination of being 50 and looking for work, plus she is very out of shape (fat). We dont really talk due to family drama so I dont know what she thinks.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're kidding..
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:43 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You're kidding..

no. Does something seem odd?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
I would not assume that. One of our major people was a woman in her sixties, handling the stuff for the electron micro.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 08:51 pm
I've no answer re what was going on re Brandon's wife. Our labs had world wide ethnicity, very mixed ages, and some women well regarded even back then.
Maybe all the labs in the US aren't like I encountered.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 11:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

...I am really confused on why you think this is an age thing. It seems to me that this is just as likely to be a race thing.

Because all of the young people my wife graduated with were hired within weeks, whereas exactly one of the older people my wife graduated with was hired without having to leave the state. That sounds like an age thing to me. What is the source of your confusion?
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 11:11 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I've no answer re what was going on re Brandon's wife. Our labs had world wide ethnicity, very mixed ages, and some women well regarded even back then.
Maybe all the labs in the US aren't like I encountered.

These places did have older techs, but all of them had been hired a long time ago. I don't know where race comes into it. I've never once mentioned race in this thread.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 11:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

...I am really confused on why you think this is an age thing. It seems to me that this is just as likely to be a race thing.

Because all of the young people my wife graduated with were hired within weeks, whereas exactly one of the older people my wife graduated with was hired without having to leave the state. That sounds like an age thing to me. What is the source of your confusion?

Is she was the only asian in the group, and the only one not to be hired, then it could just as easily be race. You have not told us the facts here.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 11:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Is she was the only asian in the group, and the only one not to be hired, then it could just as easily be race. You have not told us the facts here.

I didn't talk about her being Asian because she's not.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 11:22 pm
@Brandon9000,
Alrighty, what land does she come from?
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2014 11:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Alrighty, what land does she come from?

Eastern Europe. She looks like Europeans, British, Americans, etc. She speaks almost perfect English, but with a slight accent. Anyway, it's not as though she was rejected after interviews. She was rejected with no interview, and in most cases, with no acknowledgement of her application.