Age, sex discrimination in Nursing

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 09:03 pm
I am a 64 year old, male nurse. I graduated with honors from a top university nursing program, am certified in my specialty (oncology) and have more than ten years of inpatient and infusion clinic experience. I have been seeking work for nearly two years. I have been in Florida for the past year and have not even been able to find a volunteer position. I fear I will never be employed again.
Hospitals have acknowledged hiring new grads, but treat me like a leper.
When I ask folks at my church if they could help me network they decide to avoid me. I have been told that if I had the background I claim and can't get a job, I must be a criminal or a drug addict. This is hurtful. Any comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,684 • Replies: 1
No top replies

MrsVISHOUS2012

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 09:13 pm
@knechitilo,
What bloody bastards >:\ You study you're ass off and get the qualifications then they won't hire you??? makes it worst that people think you are lying and a drug dealer :\ WTF?
You are being discriminated for you're age and sex, but also not getting volunteer positions is just sad. Stuff all those people who doubt you, they will get run down by a bus or something...I don't know if you have much money for a lawyer or getting advice from them??
If it honestly doesn't work out(and i am sorry for saying this but it's a big IF) have you considered teaching, since you're an honors student you should be able2right?
0 Replies