Does "on Maxwell Maltz" refer to "on Maxwell Maltz's theory" or "on Maxwell Maltz's techniques"?

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 07:59 pm

Context:

Psycho-Cybernetics is a classic self-help book, written by Maxwell Maltz in 1960 and published by the non-profit Psycho-Cybernetics Foundation.[1] Motivational and self-help experts in personal development, including Zig Ziglar, Tony Robbins, Brian Tracy have based their techniques on Maxwell Maltz. Many of the psychological methods of training elite athletes are based on the concepts in Psycho-Cybernetics as well.[2] The book combines the cognitive behavioral technique of teaching an individual how to regulate self-concept developed by Prescott Lecky with the cybernetics of Norbert Wiener and John von Neumann. The book defines the mind-body connection as the core in succeeding in attaining personal goals.[3]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 469 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 12:32 am
"Motivational and self-help experts ... have based their techniques on Maxwell Maltz."

"On Maxwell Maltz" means ""on the work of Maxwell Maltz"

A word of caution: many people think this kind of motivational "science" is bullshit. Do not pay any money for e.g. courses or books.
McTag

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 01:08 am
@contrex,

yes.

Ori, why do you read such stuff? Are you a professional translator?
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 07:05 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

yes.

Ori, why do you read such stuff? Are you a professional translator?

I read it for the purpose of learning English and its culture.
I got to know at least a little bit of such stuff and is glad that you guys give your inspiring opinions.
I usually read up-to-date scientific stuff from Science, Nature, Lancet...journals.
McTag

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 12:23 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
I read it for the purpose of learning English and its culture.

That's interesting. For that purpose, have you tried such magazines and periodicals as The Spectator, The Guardian Weekly, the New Statesman or The New York Review of Books?
You would find much of cultural interest, and general interest, there.
contrex

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 01:53 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
The Spectator

Never fails to be interesting. I say that as a card-carrying (really) Labour Party member. The Guardian today had an interview with the editor of The Spectator where he said he would bet £1,000 on Cameron losing both the next General Election and also the Scottish independence referendum.
McTag

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 06:05 am
@contrex,

Yes. Every time a Westminster Tory makes a speech on Scottish independence, the Nats ratings go up.
They don't like 'em up there.
0 Replies