The Logic? - Rapids and rocks can never stop a river from flowing into the sea?

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 05:27 am
Aren't rapids helpful to push a river flowing faster into the sea?
See the definitions of rapid:
a part of a river where the current is very fast

Your opinions?

Context:
"The wise seeks common ground while the unwise clings to differences." China and Europe should respect each other, treat each other as equals, seek common ground while shelving differences, and pursue win-win cooperation. By doing so, we will enhance our dialogue and engagement, maximize common interests, share opportunities and jointly meet challenges.

Rapids and rocks can never stop a river from flowing into the sea. Likewise, I believe that no issues or differences can stop our friendship and cooperation from growing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 680 • Replies: 17
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 08:52 am
@oristarA,
You and the article are in agreement, Ori, so what is your issue?
oristarA

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 10:03 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You and the article are in agreement, Ori, so what is your issue?

Are you telling me that the word stop and the phrase speed up share the same meaning there, JTT?
JTT

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 10:14 am
@oristarA,
Original: Rapids and rocks can never stop a river from flowing into the sea. Likewise, I believe that no issues or differences can stop our friendship and cooperation from growing.
----------

Ori:
Are you telling me that the word stop and the phrase speed up share the same meaning there, JTT?

You've got me doubting my own eyes, Ori. Where is "speed up"?
oristarA

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 10:29 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Original: Rapids and rocks can never stop a river from flowing into the sea. Likewise, I believe that no issues or differences can stop our friendship and cooperation from growing.
----------

Ori:

You've got me doubting my own eyes, Ori. Where is "speed up"?

Accelerate.
parados

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 10:36 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Aren't rapids helpful to push a river flowing faster into the sea?

No.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 10:43 am
@oristarA,
Where is "accelerate"?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 03:26 pm
@oristarA,
Ori: Aren't rapids helpful to push a river flowing faster into the sea?
--------

The thing that causes rapids to occur, a greater vertical drop per horizontal mile, are helpful in causing a river to flow faster towards the sea.
Joeblow
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 06:55 pm
@oristarA,
Rapids and rocks are dangerous. They can be impediments to travel (have you ever been in a canoe?), but they don't stop the water from flowing. Water always finds a way. It's inevitable.

Rapids and rocks can never stop a river from flowing into the sea. Likewise, I believe that no issues or differences can stop our friendship and cooperation from growing.

Rapids and rocks are being likened to issues and differences, but the author doesn't think that these issues and differences will stop the friendship between China and Europe.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 09:15 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Ori: Aren't rapids helpful to push a river flowing faster into the sea?
--------

The thing that causes rapids to occur, a greater vertical drop per horizontal mile, are helpful in causing a river to flow faster towards the sea.

It is proper to say:

Winter and darkness can never stop you from longing for sunshine.

It is not proper to say:

Summer and darkness can never stop you from longing for sunshine.
Because summer itself is usually hot or very hot; one needs not longling for sunshine (rather, one longs for cool).
Likewise, rapids themselves are fast flowing water. That is why it is not proper to say:
Rapids can never stop a river flowing into the sea. Because rapids usually help water to flow more rapidly.

Saying "Rapids can never stop a river flowing into the sea" is like saying "sunshine can never stop water from becoming hot." It is improper because sunshine always makes water becoming hot.

JTT

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 11:23 pm
@oristarA,
Ori: it is not proper to say.

Because summer itself is usually hot or very hot; one needs not long for sunshine (rather, one longs for cool).
-------------------
What does "proper" mean, Ori? Your personal opinion doesn't prevent others from having a differing opinion. It's conceivable that there are people who would want 24 hours of sunshine and hot.

Ori: Likewise, rapids themselves are fast flowing water. That is why it is not proper to say:
Rapids can never stop a river flowing into the sea. Because rapids usually help water to flow more rapidly.

Saying "Rapids can never stop a river flowing into the sea" is like saying "sunshine can never stop water from becoming hot." It is improper because sunshine always makes water become hot.
--------------

A number of fundamental errors. Methinks that you've never been in a set of rapids. Rapids often have boulders, some smaller some humongous. The slope creates the speed. The name rapids includes a greater incline/gradient to be sure but it also can have rocks, snags, boulders, eddies, backwaters, sump/souse holes, keepers, haystacks, hydraulics, ... , some or all of which slow and even reverse the flow of water.

See,

http://www.pinnacle-travel.org/whitewater-rafting-glossary/
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 11:51 pm
It's a metaphor. It doesn't have to be literally true. It's saying momentary snags and dangers (for human travel) can't stop something inevitable (more or less).
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 12:00 am
@MontereyJack,
MJ: It's a metaphor. It doesn't have to be literally true.

That's true, Jack, but in this case it is also literally true. There can be huge repeater rapids where the water goes upstream for quite a distance, then heads again downstream.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 12:05 am
And actually rocks can stop a river running to the sea. Happens all the time with enough rocks. You get a lake.
JTT

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 12:35 am
@MontereyJack,
True dat!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 05:46 am
@MontereyJack,
Metaphor or analogy?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:50 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

And actually rocks can stop a river running to the sea. Happens all the time with enough rocks. You get a lake.

Concrete and steel may be better, Jack. They've built stupid Three Gorges Dam to stop the greatest river in this Celestial Empire.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:51 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Ori: it is not proper to say.

Because summer itself is usually hot or very hot; one needs not long for sunshine (rather, one longs for cool).
-------------------
What does "proper" mean, Ori? Your personal opinion doesn't prevent others from having a differing opinion. It's conceivable that there are people who would want 24 hours of sunshine and hot.

Ori: Likewise, rapids themselves are fast flowing water. That is why it is not proper to say:

Saying "Rapids can never stop a river flowing into the sea" is like saying "sunshine can never stop water from becoming hot." It is improper because sunshine always makes water become hot.
--------------

A number of fundamental errors. Methinks that you've never been in a set of rapids. Rapids often have boulders, some smaller some humongous. The slope creates the speed. The name rapids includes a greater incline/gradient to be sure but it also can have rocks, snags, boulders, eddies, backwaters, sump/souse holes, keepers, haystacks, hydraulics, ... , some or all of which slow and even reverse the flow of water.
See,

http://www.pinnacle-travel.org/whitewater-rafting-glossary/

That's it.
0 Replies